1/72 Zvezda Snap fit Stuka

Valkyrie

Hi Valkyrie,

I have heard a lot of good things about the Zvezda Ju 87, but I have missed it so far. So I will follow your build to decide for myself. But I know I'm right!

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

Hi,

I want to get this Stuka, but in the meantime I have almost finished the Zvezda Me Bf 109 F-2, that follows the same snap fit concept.

Like @vppelt68 I snapped/cut every single lugs and used glue everywhere like for a normal kit. Much better fit indeed!

I got scared when clicking the first lug to check the fit, as I could not undo the damn thing!!! 

Beautiful kits even without snap tite!!!

JR

• Like 2

Ok making a start. Desert Stuka Cockpit after the end of 1941 is RLM 66 I believe...so using Hataka blue line brush paint on the sprue to kick off. Il mostly be using those paints for this though I feel their sand yellow RLM 79a is a little too light snake Stuka is in that colour in the photo, so lifecolor sandbraun instead...

49366300413_8d06dfcb78_b.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Ooooo nice. Enjoy your build. 

Nice Stein, October fest?

I went to Munich for my stag do in June 2017, a lot of stuff came back with us ha

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I went to Munich for my stag do in June 2017, a lot of stuff came back with us ha

That doesn’t surprise me much. :cheers:

I hope you sampled the Warstiener while you had the chance. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1

Hi Valkyrie,

good on you to have started!

I think that the early Ju 87 B-1 and B-2 had their interior painted in RLM 02 instead of RLM 66, which appeared later in the Stuka's life!

Not that anybody is going to die from it, but i just thought I'd mention it.

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

Looks like the first man out of the blocks :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Ok making a start. Desert Stuka Cockpit after the end of 1941 is RLM 66 I believe...so using Hataka blue line brush paint on the sprue to kick off. Il mostly be using those paints for this though I feel their sand yellow RLM 79a is a little too light snake Stuka is in that colour in the photo, so lifecolor sandbraun instead...

Depends when the aircraft was built, but RLM 66 is certainly a possibility.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

It’s an Afrika scheme after November 41 so whether RLM made it out there by summer 42, or was the aircraft delivered with RLM 66, or did it have much paint left inside, or was there an Italian job....on the Stuka I think have finally settled on, it should be easy to find out. My Airfix Afrika snake Stuka was RLM 02 Cockpit with RLM 66 panel and brown lip...this build is set to be a touch later though, where I am getting confused as to what was actually in there. 

13 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I hope you sampled the Warstiener

Sadly no...was mainly a Paulaner tour with trips to Hofbrau Haus and Augusteiner

• Like 2

First coat of RLM 78 [Which I’m going for the tropical camouflage] used it on black 8 109 in the blitz build last year. Gorgeous colour brush paints fabulously

49372958998_e698c03ee9_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/01/2020 at 08:38, Basilisk said:

I do not want to start a bun fight over interior paint colours but I was expecting the colour call out in my 1/48 Hasegawa Ju 87B instructions to be RLM 02 grey/green, but they called for the interior to be painted RLM 66 black/grey, and photos certainly look that dark colour.  I recall some research I was doing for an early 1940 He 111 a year or so ago, again I expected the whole interior to be RLM 02, however while the rear fuselage, bomb bay and wheel wells were RLM 02, I read that bomber cockpits were painted RLM 66.  But it's not worth getting excited about as I'm sure somewhere there will be a reference saying something different. :penguin:

• Like 1

This has been a concern of mine as well. With mine being an early bird I think there is a high chance it was RLM02.  Later types I think it would be RLM66.  

If anyone can head us in the right direction it would be helpful. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

But it's not worth getting excited about

I do lol, and it’s a great topic....I don’t really know about the bombers

• Like 1

Apparently German bombers used RLM 66 for cockpits much earlier than fighter as was seen on some recovered wrecks in Norway I believe.

Pictures of the interior in the B-2 pilot manual show a light colour, so most likely RLM 02 and I guess no one knows when the change happened. And with many parts supplied by sub-contractors, there is a good chance that for a while RLM 02 and 66 could be seen in the cockpit.

If no picture available the next best thing is an educated guess.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

In Michael Ullmann’s book Luftwaffe colours, L.Dv 521/1 of 1938 RLM directive states cockpits should be painted RLM 02 with only instrument panel being RLM 66 to prevent dazzle. 

Then the same directive of 1941 changes to RLM 02 in principle. Only the interior walls of glazed cockpits and canopies will be protected against dazzle with shade 66.

in 42 it changed again where only one coat of 66 was to be applied...this applied with immediate effect for types Fw190, He 177 and Ar 96.

I don’t yet understand the detail but from that I take 02 for cockpits up to Nov 1941 with RLM 66 there after. Always RLM 66 for ip’s

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This has been a concern of mine as well. With mine being an early bird I think there is a high chance it was RLM02.  Later types I think it would be RLM66.  

Greg I I'm sure you are safe with a RLM02 cockpit, does the kit have the oval grip on the control column that the A model had?

• Like 1