Accurate Armour 1/35th Snatch Land Rover

Bish

For a number of years, Accurate Armour have produced a range of 35th resin kits of British vehicles that no one else did in this scale in plastic. And while a few have not been released in plastic, the AS-90 and Fv 432 for example, many are still only done by AA and i can't imagine them ever being done by the main stream companies. So, if you want these subjects, your only option is to go for the more expensive resin kits.

There are a few kits they produce, especially those from the Troubles, that i have wanted to do for a while, and so this is my first 35th resin vehicle. The Snatch is actually 2 conversion sets. LRA013 is the SNATCH conversion designed to be used with the Hobby Boss kit, from which you only need the chassis. But AA also sells a seperate Land Rover chassis which can be used with the HB kit as wel as with the Snatch and other Land Rover kits Accurate Armour sells. So it made sense to me to just get the chassis conversion. Its cheaper than buying the HB kit, most of which would have been waisted.

spacer.png

I am also adding a checkpoint sign and a figure, though i don't have a pic of the latter yet.

spacer.png

I started out by building the chassis. I have learnt my lesson from building resin kits in the past and am being careful to check everything before gluing. AA instructions are not the best, a set of photo's with parts already in place which don't always show the presice location.

The metal springs are a little tricky, the front mounts snapped under the pressure so i had to trim the springs so they were not putting tension on the resin.

spacer.png

The rear axel is from the Snatch conversion, everything else is from the chassis set.

spacer.png

I started this Wed afternoon and it was done by Thurs night, so quicker than i expected. I then made a small start on the Snatch set, so far just getting the front together.

spacer.png

Again, more careful checking was needed. The image for the above was frontal only but the sills include the floor for the stowage bins on either side, so you have to be careful not to trim to much away.

Thats it for now. Going to work on the engine and rest of the front before moving onto the rear compartment.

• Like 14

Coming along nicely. Remember making a couple of the AA kits the springs as you have done needed to be trimmed .. one to relieve the tension and also to stop a nose up attitude on the Land Rover . Looking forward to the rest of this .

terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Snatch is coming on slowly but its now ready to get some primer on. I am doing all of the inside before putting it all togther and then i will paint the outside. Its a pity there is no equipment to go on the inside. The mounting plate behind the front seats should hold ECM equipment (not a radio as the instructions say). I might try and scratch build something as the type of equipment that fitted there was just a metal box with a couple of switches.

The mesh over the rear lights is rather nice. It is attached to the plate that glues to the vehicle and can be folded to shape but left open so the lights can be added later. No need for masking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have fitted the mesh on the side doors, the glass goes in from the inside and can be fitted later.

spacer.png

And the same goes for the front windscreen, the mesh is movable which is handy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now time to prime and try and mix up some paint to get the right shade of green.

Modern British army figures are pretty thin on the ground and seem to mainly aimed at Iraq and Afghanistan. Accurate Armour does have a range of 80's and 90's figures but i only found one which would fit N Ireland. Its not completly accurate as it seems to have body armour over the jacket when it should be underneath and is missing the ceramic plates on the front and back that covered the vital organs. But it does have the correct chest rig and an SA 80 so its close enough. Not the best resin figures i have seen but not to bad. The right arm is not a good fit, the pouches are molded to allow for the rifle which is nice but the arm does not fit to the shoulder, so needed some filling at the back. The muzzle on the SA 80 has come off but i managed to save it and will attach later.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Looking good bish, don't know if it's easier? we just left our ECM in our day sacks and bungee them to the frame, watching with intrest as your tempting me to pick one up.

Thanks guys.

Ozzy, thats what i was thinking. Just got to check what Accurate Armour kit i have. I was going to add a daysack or 2 in the back, other wise its rather empty.

ivan, thanks, i will check them out. But the kit does come with the markings. I do notice that site has warrior number plates. They might come in handy.

Edited by Bish
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys. Its going slowly but nicely. Inside is painted, just got to do some light weathering.

Bozo, i have read on Wiki that it was called that because it was used by Snatch squads. But i was serving in Londonderry in 92 when it entered service and we knew it by that name from the start. And during my 4 and a half years in the provence, we never had snatch squads as the need didn't arise.

Silenoz, given that a majority of my stuff is WW2 German, includeing SS builds, i would not think of it that way, but i can see that someone might, especially as we don't see many builds from Op banner. But, i do have plands for more.

Thanks for the link ivan. I use that site for the Flightpath all the time but didn't think of checking for figures. Nothing there for the 90's but that Fusilier figure would go nicley with a Humber Pig. Will have to remember that.

Edited by Bish
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, geofftrash said:

IIRC the term Snatch Land Rover is from the early days '69/70's. Standard Land Rovers with tilt, doors etc. removed used for patrols and snatching suspects off the streets.

I can vouch for the term "Snatch" I was there in 1970 on the Shankill Road, Crumlin Road and Ardoyne and we would sometimes be "tasked" with doing a "lift"  The "pigs were generally used for road blocks, (but used for snatches also) always went around in pairs, one for snatch other(maybe more) used for cover and protection

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to get in an update. Been a bit of a struggle with parts fit, buts its getting there.

Got the insids painted with some light wear. The instructions say to paint NATO green, but from my memory and pics i could find, these were darker than that. On the Airfix forum in an old thread about British Army colours, some one claimed that vehicles in Ireland were painted darker to distinguish ones used for internal security duties from conventional warfare. Not sure if this is true, but they were certainly darker. I made my own mix useing Tamiya's NATO green, Dark Green and a touch of NATO black. Seems pretty good to my eye. I addd some wear to the flor, mainly where the top cover would stand as well as in the front foot wells.

spacer.png

The upper body was also painted and just got a light dry brush.

spacer.png

Then the seats and belts were fitted. I also added a bergan on the ECM frame. Ozzy mentioned that they used to put there ECM in vehicles like this and that remindd me that we did as well. easier than trying to scratch a bit of kit. Also addd a set of rocket pouches. I went for the early 90's single colour packs rather than the DPM ones introduced later. I added some wire from the ECM pack which will be run up to the roof. This shows the colour much better than the previous pic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I then got the roof on being careful not to completly fill in the join.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the front of the cab with decals added.

spacer.png

With all that, the body was fitted to the chassis, followed the the forward bulkhead, after front wind screns were added, and then the front of the body. Fit was tight, had to do some sanding, bending and clamping, but it got there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Got a bit of clean up to do before masking and painting.

• Like 8

Nice progress. It's good when you can build something that you've had first hand knowledge of. I keep telling myself that I will buy AA's Bedford RL one day.......maybe.

John.