USS Sprite - NCC-1828

Been a bit since I built a sci-fi model, which I think was also a Star Trek model, the USS Saber. This one is going to be a kitbash between two /2500 scale Star Trek Discovery models, the Shenzhou and the Enterprise. 1/2500 is not my scale, so bashing them into another ship fitting 1/1000 is the goal here.

I'll be using the Shenzhou as the basis for the ship, trading its nacelles in favor of the Enterprise's, which look more era-correct than the Shen's more futuristic ones.

JCGbCCr.jpg

KmY06zU.jpg

FDo2XGA.jpg

First off, I'm going to cut a pen in half... No, it's not a start to a bad magic trick but the beginning of a new deflector, using the Enterprise's in place of the Shenzhou's, agan because the Shen's just looks too futuristic.

EvhEi3r.jpg

I cut then cut the base of the deflector dish away from the Enterprise part and glued it onto the new housing.

hiE0p71.jpg

4w5SohY.jpg

With that done I cut out the molded detail on the Shenzhou and test fitted the new deflector housing into the gaping hole behind.

C9KmSMi.jpg

U8E2k7L.jpg

nCY102A.jpg

The bottom shows a bit of fitting will be needed to close some gaps.

I skipped from there to the nacelles. I snipped the tops off the Enterprise struts and glued them into their slots in the nacelles to close those up. They will be sanded smooth and then holes drilled for when they are pinned to the Shen's struts.

PLJYgnV.jpg

O7odM4B.jpg3.

While that was going on, I glued the hull together, after gluing in the clear parts. The ventral bridge will remain in place, though I will be filling in and smoothing over the big windows, since they are too large for the smaller size of the ship.

f6iVmZL.jpg

Then thin styrene was glued into the bow to cover that hole.

wRQzigU.jpg

1hZ8Sw0.jpg

While that was drying, I decided to move the struts outward from their original positions. I wanted the new nacelles to be a little outward of the rim of the saucer.

Szn5aVd.jpg

They'll need to be adjusted, as they follow the upward curve of the lower hull too much. Left as is and the rear of the nacelles will be up to high, rather than riding even with the rest of the hull.

bB2JT1E.jpg

And a test to see how the new nacelles will look compared to the rest of the ship.

9YAtvLw.jpg

kxc1jWw.jpg

You can see I also cut and sanded down the insert in the bow, before cutting the hole for the new deflector housing.

CpZk57q.jpg

61qq8D6.jpg

fAVuqAr.jpg

And the last bit of work today was to add some shims into the bottom, to fill some gaps alongside the deflector housing.

YlpOYAQ.jpg

They'll have to be sanded down some but will close those little gaps up.

And that's where she is at the moment. I'll clean that up a little more and glue the new deflector housing in place, then set the struts in place. And also add the shuttle bay from the Enterprise to the back of the Shenzhou. Though it'll be widened to give the Sprite a larger shuttle deck.

Til next time, model on!

Thom

• Like 10

No real background. Her era is post-TOS but pre-TMP. She'd be serving in the fleet as the same as my USS Saber.

spacer.png

Back to work! After some PPP and CA, the deflector area was smoothed out and the housing glued in place.

spacer.png

I may glue some little greeblies in there for detail, but until then I switched back to the stern, salvaging the shuttle bay from the Enterprise.

GZzUBez.jpg++

dtQOmbI.jpg

A little too narrow methinks! A bit of widening is called for!

x7R2mT0.jpg

As you can also tell from the pic, the stern detail of the Shen was drastically cut into, seeing as though even widened the shuttle bay would not just slip over it all so neatly as to make my life easy!

Some plastic scrap was used to fill some gaps at the sides, and the original deck space was widened to accommodate the new dimensions.

zTbVR38.jpg

And then time for a test fit.

rvCmnWs.jpg

1kdcHWb.jpg

Will need to be cleaned up some, but I'm doing that as I type. Also made a new bay door, using Scotch tape across the opening to trace it and then transfer it to some Evergreen 'car siding.'

EKNkZa5.jpg

That should work! I've slathered the parts with some PPP before sanding to smooth the joining parts out and make the final join a lot easier.

More updates to come!

Model on!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, USS_ESSESS said:

Nice progress

just one question:

How does it compare to other 1/1000 models sizewise? As the base models are 1/2500 I guess it‘s pretty small?!

cheers Konrad

Thanks!

I got the shuttle bay glued on and the lower deck sanded to shape. I've since put some PPP around the join to smooth it out.

HJiAPyo.jpg

Zw8RmA7.jpg

As for size, she's going to be about 6 inches long and 4 wide. So, she'll be a lil sprite of a thing!

Here she is beside the 1/1000 Defiant.

4iEeQWb.jpg

Model on!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Back again! Sprite suffered a little loss of mojo power during the warp core run-up tests, but she's charging up now.

Had a slight re-redesign while the engineers figured that out, and the struts will be mounted in their original positions. Moving them outward placed them on a section of hull that swooped upwards, which then would have required even more plastic to be added in order to level them out. The difference wasn't that big enough anyway. Just have some holes to fill...

You'll note I've also filled in the bridge windows and those will be left blank as in the TOS.

spacer.png

Then it was onto the nacelles, which went together as easy as you'd think. One snafu was not paining the insides of the radiators silver, but that can be done after main paint.

spacer.png

But, I'm left with some pretty big holes that might be visible under the clear red painted bussard domes.

spacer.png

Easy solution are some discs glued into place over the chasms!

spacer.png

And since I might be able to see some detail in there under the painted domes, I'm adding a little sparkle!

spacer.png

The discs in that pic were too thick and were replaced with paper-thin sheet to allow the bussards domes to seat as they should.

And that's all for now. Feels good to get some progress back in this again.

Thom

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Alright, first work done on the Sprite in a long while. I had already hit the undersides with Tamiya rattle can Silver Leaf, and then masked that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I got out the Model Master Light Ghost Gray FS36375 and hit all the unmasked areas.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once that dries, I'll mask again and spray an even lighter shade of gray, and then maybe give it an 'accent' color.

Feels good to have her back in process again.

Model on!

Thom

• Like 4