Short S23 Empire

9 hours ago, Sebastiano Tringali said:

Great job, I have done the same thing on my Lancastrian but I've made a master of a couple of seats and after many resin copies.

Hi Sebastiano

Why don't you post your model in a new thread?

Many of us would enjoy it!

I wrote to you long ago -when you posted it somewhere else- about that beautiful conversion but never got a reply (wanting myself to do one, I already got the Lancaster Airfix kit).

Cheers

• Like 3

Well work is hotting up so modelling has slowed down to a crawl. However, there was a modelling show at Shuttleworth today. The car park was pretty much full at 11am so I’m glad it was well attended despite the horrible weather.

The Shuttleworth collection is a joy:
F6-D1-F608-919-C-4-E42-A277-83-D35-A5-EA

The model show was small but full of interesting exhibits and chatty exhibitors (the best sort!). I was very taken by this little fellow and his dog, 25 or maybe 28mm:

C1014-CDD-FE13-401-F-8-F2-B-DF951-BD539-

Shuttleworth has its own permanent model displays too. Here’s a commercial curiosities cabinet for @Moa:

54-BA4-AE0-7845-443-F-A331-FB9418-A4-F5-

A vac model of the Fairey Long Range Monoplane:

5-FB36929-3-E60-4-A91-92-B1-DCA997-DE2-E

And a gorgeous Penguin Envoy in superb condition:

D27-EF5-A2-5929-4634-ABF6-4-D6-A72669-C9

Who says packaging doesn’t influence your purchases?

EC1477-DD-79-FE-44-E8-8-FC9-E984-B3-E636

Its a lovely sharp moulding with usable transfers, and I justified it because it looks sooo cool...

Back home I was inspired to crack on with the seats. So here they are (and Elmer); the two port seats in the promenade cabin won’t be installed, because I’ve never seen a picture with them in place:

425-AEA92-2-A5-D-4-F72-8-D9-C-E350-E4-CF

Away again for a fortnight this week :(

• Like 20

Lovely seats Adrian.

I think Shuttleworth is probably the best museum we visited on the tour - clean and tidy, plenty of interesting exhibits and no 'play things' to take up valuable space.

Nice Cafe too.

Have a good trip :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CedB said:

I think Shuttleworth is probably the best museum we visited on the tour - clean and tidy, plenty of interesting exhibits and no 'play things' to take up valuable space.

Nice Cafe too.

To my shame, it is one of the few mainstream English museums that I have never visited.  Clearly time to remedy that error.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

To my shame, it is one of the few mainstream English museums that I have never visited.  Clearly time to remedy that error.

Yes Crisp I concur

I had never visited it "in all my years" until my car club had their AGM there a few years ago

Blimey it is so nice/good/amazing

Not my usual period of interest so I was a bit "Ho hum things held together with strings, ho hum" about it 'til I went round

I am sure you will love it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Moa said:

Much appreciated!!!!

A joy to see!! But shame on me: I have built only four of the types displayed there.

Cheers

I'm sure you are of a mind to try & rectify that. Without a dream , what do we have?

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Andrian was so generous that I received one fuselage from him. Many thanks! Soon I will start a WIP with my build with Airfix Suderland and Adrian's vacu fuselage, as I promised to him :).

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 1:28 AM, AdrianMF said:

Away again for a fortnight this week :(

How on earth do you cram a fortnight into a week?

Ian

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

How on earth do you cram a fortnight into a week?

Sadly it is possible by going for 8 non-travel days and then doing 8am to 8+pm every day. Got a lot done. Then come back to a ton of catch-up work and I've just got back to the bench finally at 1600 on a Sunday - staring at a load of plastic bits and trying to remember what I was doing...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Strange days indeed. I've been setting up my colleagues for home working, getting my daughter back to NL (and missing her terribly), developing a hatred of gotomeeting/zoom/skype, reassuring my wife and spending even more time working than normal! This week I did manage to spring clean the study, and today to celebrate the tidy desk I broke out the modelling equipment. 

I am putting a pile of detail into the interior and I worry that I won't be able to see it. So I'm thinking about this:

49712185062_c6baa17c35_b.jpglights 

My wife had a spare set of battery-powered Christmas lights lying around (she likes warm white, these are white-white). So I'm going to experiment!

I've got 992 photos left on my free Flickr account so I've switched to that for now while postimage is behaving strangely.

• Like 11

Hi Adrian

The idea of illuminating a good, well appointed interior is exciting, if it nevertheless adds a layer of complexity to an already complex build.

Perhaps (if you don't mind a thought) instead of re-purposing an array that looks a bit heavy-handed for the scale, may be getting one of those sets that are specific for our models? (used in general by the SciFi modeling community in their spaceships, robots, and the like).

The wiring in those sets is very fine, the lamps very little (almost a pinhead size) and their controls more practical perhaps, allowing changes in intensity, controlling areas and such.

Just a thought, because your are doing so well otherwise.

Cheers

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Moa said:

Perhaps

Thanks for the thought! I know what you mean.

I have indeed been browsing model lighting suppliers online on and off for a few weeks now. It all looked a bit complicated and expensive, and the chances of getting any model lighting bits delivered at the moment are pretty much zero. I had actually decided not to bother until I mentioned it to Mrs MF yesterday - she went off and found these in a draw somewhere in under five minutes! I think this set of lights probably cost a fiver from the sells-everything shop end of the road, and I can hide all the wiring in the crawl space above the cabins, run it down through the lavatory and put a plug into the planing bottom where it will be hidden by a base or a stand. I only want a bit of lighting in the cabins and may not even use it in the end. And I wasn't going to go for the full "Star Trek" with navigation and landing lights.

The lights are wired in parallel and the resistor is in the battery box, so I can snip off half a dozen and play with them. The plastic lenses sand down so you can make round frosted bulbs for maximum diffusion, and the sleeves behind the lights can be pared away to let you bend the very tip, so it ends up being less cumbersome than it first appears. Something to play with.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Just one thing that came to my mind. Check how much heat these lights are generating. That you don't melt your ready model.

Worth a check, but they look like led bulbs so should be okay if that's the case. 

Adrian, this is epic....! 

16 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

look like led bulbs

They are. My multi-meter doesn't work on them because LEDs have a non-linear response. The resistor in the battery case is red-brown-black-gold so I think that makes it 21 Ohm? The resistor is in series with the bulbs, which are in parallel, so the top limit of the current will be V/R = 4.5/21 = 0.2 Amps, assuming zero resistance for the LEDs, So the max power that could come out of the whole circuit is V*I = 4.5*0.2 = 1W, which is warming up the resistor.

If the LEDs have non-zero resistance (they do because they get the energy to generate light from the voltage drop) the overall current will be even less, and so the overall power will be less. Plus there are six of them so each one will only produce 1/6 of the total power So that's less than 1/6 watt per bulb.

If I reduce the number of LEDs in parallel from 50 to 6 I assume that the 6 remaining will still have the same amount of protection from excess current because they are in parallel and the resistor is in series. I should have paid more attention in Physics!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

Having tried and failed to light a model before (slightest of knocks + 100(incompetent soldering) = lifetime of disappointment2) you might have stumbled across a top hack here, following with interest!

• Thanks 1