Short S23 Empire

I agree with Ced.

I had exactly the same issue on my train build - I had to make about 16 chairs.  I used 2 part resin for the chairs - it can be demolded in less than 10 minutes for simple shapes.  Just mixed a few drops at a time and worked my way through the batch

P9150011.jpg

might be worth considering resin as a medium?

• Like 3

I used smooth-on before. It's really good but has a short shelf life once opened so you have to use it. I picked up some 1:1 Alumilite which can sit for long periods before it's mixed. Unfortunatly it's a bit more pricey but pays for itself. I'll have to get the rubber you used, would be good for quick parts that I don't need molds for years from now.

• Like 1

As resin I am using such Polish glue, which fixes after 24 hours and has low viscosity. When fixed (an mixed in right proportions) is hard, not elastic. Machanical properies are similar to polistyrene. 

3008926_1_i1064.jpg

I can expect that it is not easily available outside Poland. Adrian, whould you like some for trials?

J-W

• Like 4

Thank you all for the inputs. I know my local B+Q doesn’t have anything better on a Sunday so I’ve been pressing ahead with Milliput:

1-D121538-6-A02-4-E17-B0-AD-15-F61-AE606

It’s a bit more flexible than Isopon so I’ve pressed ahead making my first six seats, with a Mercury or three, an Elmer, and a fix to a dishwasher tray wheel (not illustrated):

98455-B8-B-F3-F6-492-E-84-A4-A72206-CCA9

De-flashing, assembling and painting the chairs has been an enjoyable, if lengthy, process. I have found that I can replace the super-thin lever guide at the front with a sliver of plastic strip glued to the side of the chair, which will improve my reject rate for the next nine or ten (I will need spares!).

Two not-completely-random thoughts struck me this afternoon:

(1) @Moa may well be on to something; if I had invested in a simple jig (card with a slot) to help cut my framework pieces instead of moulding them, I wonder if I couldn’t have made as many or more frameworks today.

(2) I do a lot of non-business business travelling, and when I lay out the seats without the plan to guide me, they are always much closer together. I have been successfully conditioned!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Jerzy, I tried a UK epoxy resin glue and it wasn’t a happy experience, so I’m going to stick to Milliput and resin when it arrives.

Thanks,

Adrian

Better going with what you know if other things dont quite work out, i say. I have plenty to do just making kits, I love the involvement the detail i can add and i love to see them come on. At times, even with kits i can lose heart just a little if something doesnt quite work out; i just stick it on the back-burner for a bit now and come back later. Sometimes things NEED that time away. What you are doing is a fabulous task, labour intensive, but quite splendid, i dont know if i'd have the patience for that, but; each to his own! Carry on with a cracking job!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gorby said:

Careful where you use it - god it smells bad, and the smell lingers. 

Ya it does smell a bit, my biggest problem is after it's mixed,I get an itchy eye or I forget to tie my hair off the way.

Moa, not exactly, but you said:

On 08/02/2020 at 17:17, Moa said:

I am not friendly with resin and molds, and am stuck with the repetitious work.

That’s what got me wondering how friendly I was with my own flaky breaky castings. So I made myself a jig:
B8-C6-ED49-B3-B1-475-B-9929-A15-D66-D685

You push the rod or strip into the slot as far as it will go, then cut it clean off at the edge of the card. Eight sides made and assembled pretty quickly:

A7-F779-FD-E5-EC-4-CF1-B158-769-F2935-B6

So I will do another run like that and cast up the seats and backs in car filler, which is super quick and has a high success rate. With the pair of cast sides, that gives me my 16!

If I’d done this yesterday it would all be done now...

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I am not friendly with resin and molds, and am stuck with the repetitious work.

Will not work for what I had to do yesterday (friends over for dinner):

IMG_4450.jpg

13 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

So I will do another run like that and cast up the seats and backs in car filler, which is super quick and has a high success rate.

That was a wonderful solution.

• Like 2

There should be safety belts around 1940 in "normal airliners" mostly due to turbulences:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/39537/when-did-airlines-start-using-seat-belts-for-passengers

However the turbulences in heavy flying boats were maybe less dangerous since it seems that safty belts were absent

Short Empire:

49dc6c0e9c4eb0e039c013eceb973c64.jpg

a464cb5668280d281549acff1fb482d5.jpg

Boeing Clipper

eb02ea998899fbbd6790ad0bddd71e77.jpg

52164ae26bb3f7e56a000021?width=750&forma

1801ceef8fa6d0bfb805b490db961ed3.jpg

Martin M130

d8qdlx2AFDl-uMVwTuIZ9zFfh8vfKTMwJbZ7xNJw

Dornier Do-X (looks like mavable chairs!)

370a4e5285c8dcb00668b8d9fe030e58.gif

Sikorsky S43 Baby Clipper

771px-Interior_view_of_a_Pan_Am_Sikorsky

Sikorsky  S 42

Interior_view_of_Sikorsky_S-40_plane_Mia

If you do not see it on photos you can skip safety belts for passangers...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thoroughly enjoying this Adrian. I picked up the Haynes manual for the s23 recently and it’s a great read, highly recommended if anyone is interested in this era. I’ve got the CMR resin kit in the stash and your build is a great motivation to dig it out.

those chairs look great :)