Which Corsair F4U ?

Abandoned Project

My 10 year old daughter really likes Skipper in the Disney film Planes and wants to build a scale model of the real thing. As far as I can tell he is a Vought F4U Corsair. Which kit would be best? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any scale will do.

Yes, Google's entry on Planes says it's a Corsair.

There are plenty of kits out there.  If your daughter hasn't built anything before, I'd like to suggest one that's simple ( = less likely to be frustrating).  The Otaki is a good candidate.  It's been reboxed by Arii and Airfix and perhaps others.  No working parts to go wrong, easy to assemble and a bonus- it's pretty accurate so it looks like a Corsair.  Should be available cheap too.  If there's a model show near you check the vendor tables.

I know my 10 year old granddaughter is on the same wavelength.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

My 10 year old daughter really likes Skipper in the Disney film Planes and wants to build a scale model of the real thing. As far as I can tell he is a Vought F4U Corsair. Which kit would be best? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any scale will do.

FWIW, Zvezda do or did a series of snap together kits of the Disney planes, (and cars)  which are really well engineered.   Pretty small, 1/100 is stated,  but really neat little kits, I got some a few years back and was very impressed at how well the clipped together, moulded in multi coloured plastic and with stickers, so no paint and glue

You don't show what country you are in,  which will affect what can be got cheap.   The Arii kits can still be got from Plaza Japan new quite cheaply, about £7 and post.

Revell did a 1/32nd kit in the late 60's, which would be pretty impressive, I thought the Revell 32nd kits I had back when I  was 9 or so, and could be a good option,  I had no problem build them back then.

A look on scalemates will show a list of corsair kits.   I acquired a die cast for the daughter years ago, and Skipper is basically a standard F4U-1A or D,  not a birdcage F4U-1, or one of the later 4 blade Corsairs which may help in looking at kits.

the recent 72nd revell kit is IIRC decent enough.

HTH

• Thanks 1

I think the Otaki suggestion is very good.  Be aware that it can probably also be found as ARII, Airfix, and who knows what else.  Keys to identification:  one piece canopy/windshield, flaps molded "up" (faired in as part of the wing).  Another possibility is the old Hasegawa 1/72 Corsair- pretty accurate, should go together easily.  The 1/32 Revell isn't hard to build either, but is a wee bit "clunky" with the folding wings, etc, if that matters to either of you.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

You don't show what country you are in,  which will affect what can be got cheap. 

I live in the bomber county (Lincolnshire) near the Wash bombing range.

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Revell did a 1/32nd kit in the late 60's, which would be pretty impressive, I thought the Revell 32nd kits I had back when I  was 9 or so, and could be a good option,  I had no problem build them back then.

Seeing as my 8yr old wants a Tamiya 1/35 brachiosaurus a 1/32 Corsair sounds like a plan as they wouldn't look too out of scale together.

Also, I take it that markings on Skipper are a composite of different schemes as I cannot find the chequered tail pattern as a decal anywhere but on an out of stock 1/72 xtradecal sheet.

13 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

1/32 Corsair sounds like a plan as they wouldn't look too out of scale together.

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/revell-aircraft-1-32-04781-vought-f4u-1a-corsair

postage is flat £3.50

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/tamiya-miscellaneous-1-35-60106-brachiosaurus-diorama-set

I'd have a look at ebay as well though.

14 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

I live in the bomber county (Lincolnshire) near the Wash bombing range.

OK, we have folks from all over,  so a UK supplie for someone in Australai maybe not be much use is all...

18 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Also, I take it that markings on Skipper are a composite of different schemes as I cannot find the chequered tail pattern as a decal anywhere but on an out of stock 1/72 xtradecal sheet.

yes, but there have been sheets of checked decal made,  and yiou could ask if anyone has some spare, and they were also an option in the Trumpeter 32nd kit

95023SDC13843.JPG

someone may have leftovers of these.

HTH

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

yes, but there have been sheets of checked decal made,  and you could ask if anyone has some spare, and they were also an option in the Trumpeter 32nd kit

95023SDC13843.JPG

someone may have leftovers of these.

HTH

HTH - Indeed!

Trumpeter is in stock at the big H, so finding spares is an option.

You are a gentleman and a scholar Sir, thanks for the research.