1:72 Heller/Airfix Gloster Javelin T.3

Oh still my beating heart! A Navy Bird built Javelin AND it's a Leuchars bird too. How much better could it get? The basic Heller kit is nice for it's age but what you have done with it is what we (Javelin Fans) have all been hoping Airfix would do and bring it bang up to date. I look forward to seeing how your FAW9 (with special stripes) turns out.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

My droopy jaw says it all.

Congrats are definitely in order!!!

JR

• Thanks 1

I don't think there is anything I can add to the earlier comments.  That is a beautiful Javelin.  I have one in the stash and can only dream of producing something as good as yours.

Cheers

Graeme

• Thanks 1

Awesome Possum!  I think it would be neat to paint up a Javelin

to look like a Dorrito's chip, since that is what they remind me of. 😃

…. Or maybe a pizza slice? :pizza:

Todders

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Flawless, impeccable, stunning, gorgeous, amazing ... :worthy:  :worthy: :worthy:

At least. I could point out all the mistakes, but that would hurt my rep.    :)

22 hours ago, tonyot said:

That is brilliant Bill,...... the best small scale Javelin that I have seen,...... simply superb,

Thanks so much Tony. It means a lot coming from you!

22 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

The Jav is probably my fave Cold War British jet. That’s a splendid model. 

Thanks Heather. I'm hoping the FAW.9 will be even better now that I have some experience with this kit. Plus, the red and white scheme on the A&AEE bird is just so cool. Can't wait to start working on it - but I'm not too enthused about having to scribe another model just yet.

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I guess my earlier faint hope that we might see a Bill F-4 or A-4 may not happen just yet given your need for an EDSG fix, so I'll just go with the flow on that one, given there are quite a few of us on on here that also need that fix!

Oh, I have a double F-4 build on my to-do list. Two Fujimi British Phantoms, both in fancy schemes. Can you guess which ones?

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Plenty of EDSG on a RN F-4 Terry....!! Shall we start a petition?!

No EDSG on my next Phantoms - see above.    :)

21 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Noice.

Thoinks.    :)

21 hours ago, Robert said:

That is a great looking build and finish in the one true scale.

I like the finish too. When freshly painted, the Javelin was pretty shiny, but I don't like to spray a super shiny gloss varnish in this scale. It just doesn't look right to me, so I go for an egg shell sheen. I use Floquil Flat (of all things) because it gives me the finish I like. I also use it for all my Glossy Sea Blue USN models. Problem is, Floquil is no longer produced (curse you Testors). I still have several bottles, and they occasionally show up on eBay at outrageous prices. I think I paid $20 for the last one. Yikes.

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Oh man, does that look amazing Bill.

Thanks Cookie. I'm amazed I finished it. I was half way through the scribing, and I wanted to give up and find another hobby. Instead, I just added scribing to my list of things I don't like that I have to do. I was looking at the old Airfix Vulcan model the other day, and I think the scribing will be easier than the Javelin. I think I'll build the old Vulcan and not wait for the new one, just because I'm a contrarian at times.   :)

11 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Oh still my beating heart! A Navy Bird built Javelin AND it's a Leuchars bird too. How much better could it get? The basic Heller kit is nice for it's age but what you have done with it is what we (Javelin Fans) have all been hoping Airfix would do and bring it bang up to date. I look forward to seeing how your FAW9 (with special stripes) turns out.

Thanks Duncan. You can calm your heart down. The FAW.9 will follow sometime this year!

9 hours ago, CJP said:

A really nice neat model - I love how you've done those ejection seats

Thanks. They are Pavla resin seats, and all I did was paint them and add some aftermarket photoetched harnesses. I did some dry brushing, some silver pencil, and a Future-based wash. I then added some PE yellow and black handles on the headrest. I think they came out pretty good. The resin seats have harnesses moulded in, and I put the PE harnesses right over the top. This gives a little more space underneath the PE for the wash to settle, and adds to the 3D effect. Too bad the canopy is closed. I should have opened it.

6 hours ago, Todders said:

I think it would be neat to paint up a Javelin to look like a Dorrito's chip, since that is what they remind me of. 😃  …. Or maybe a pizza slice? :pizza:

I think there's a "what if" category at the model contests, but you have to have documentation for the correct shade of Dorito colour, and the correct number of flavour specks on the surface.

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone! You guys and gals are the best - now it's off to start the Firebrand.

Cheers.

Bill

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Oh, I have a double F-4 build on my to-do list. Two Fujimi British Phantoms, both in fancy schemes. Can you guess which ones?

Well that's good news Bill. I'm speculating maybe an Alcock & Brown special and perhaps a Boscombe Down raspberry ripple job.....? Whatever they are, three things are certain, they will be good (thats two things for the pair) and I can't wait!

Meanwhile, bring on the Firebrand!

Terry

• Like 1