Airfix HMS Cossack

Worms

On 14/01/2020 at 15:12, Our Ned said:

Most, if not all Tribal class ships carried a 16' Fast Motor Boat on a trolley, usually stowed to port of the after funnel.  Some landed theis boat during the war.  The trolley enabled it to be fleeted aft so that the torpedo davit could plumb the boat.  At least one 16' FMB survives in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - photos at https://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/639715.jpg and https://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/639714.jpg

Thanks for posting those.  I didn't know there were any left let alone in Portsmouth in such good condition.

All my ship models (made 4, or in the stash 4) are 1:350. Cam't imagine my 10 thumbs (or eyesight) doing justice to any smaller scales these days.

Like you I've used various super glues (currently trending towards the 'Gorilla' brand). I find that removing the paint PE before fixing PE isn't as crucial as when using styrene liquid cement type adhesives, but I can't imagine any glue would resist the 'stickyness' of masking tape so some PE assemblies have to be added after the major painting. Centre out and sub-assemblies (funnel, aft superstructure etc.) is definitely the way to go.

I've got some 3D printed bits as well (tiny, tiny weapons), they look fabulous and I'm a little concerned my skills won't do them justice.

Are you doing anything with the stand?

Tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Modelholic said:

All my ship models (made 4, or in the stash 4) are 1:350. Cam't imagine my 10 thumbs (or eyesight) doing justice to any smaller scales these days.

Like you I've used various super glues (currently trending towards the 'Gorilla' brand). I find that removing the paint PE before fixing PE isn't as crucial as when using styrene liquid cement type adhesives, but I can't imagine any glue would resist the 'stickyness' of masking tape so some PE assemblies have to be added after the major painting. Centre out and sub-assemblies (funnel, aft superstructure etc.) is definitely the way to go.

I've got some 3D printed bits as well (tiny, tiny weapons), they look fabulous and I'm a little concerned my skills won't do them justice.

Are you doing anything with the stand?

Tom

Hi Tom, I use Gorilla brand, it's of a reasonable consistency and will last for weeks once opened unlike most other brands I have tried.

Decent surgical forceps of various shapes and frequently sharpened cocktail sticks for applying the glue help with application but I still manage to make a mess sometimes (often). I haven't bought any of the 3D printed stuff yet as it's a bit pricey (I need a Supermarine Walrus for my Rodney conversion of a Nelson) and the cost is more than I paid for the ship with postage...I do see why though, they are superb and have the advantage over PE in that they are...well...3D!

I haven't thought very hard about the stand yet but was thinking about possibly constructing a simple wooden one. I like the idea of a seascape but doubt my abilities to get it looking good enough...might have a practice!

Nick

And another question!

Apparently Cossack is listed as having  2 Depth Charge throwers but I can't find Cossack photos with any fitted. I have photos of Eskimo with throwers fitted to the main deck either side of the pom pom deck. Any ideas?

Gidday Worms, I've just found some photos of a couple of models, and a couple of actual Tribals, supposedly Cossack. They show two throwers on the aft shelter-deck, one either side of the mainmast. I don't know how to create links to these photos but if you google "hms cossack", click on 'images', then start scrolling through them. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff,

I had found photos of models with DC launchers  but most were based on HMS Eskimo.  Apparently not all Tribals were fitted with them.

But, thanks to your post I did find a  photo and a painting of Cossack with them in the position you described...the loading davits were the first giveaway!

Gidday Worms, the RAN had three Tribals and it appears their throwers were mounted as per Eskimo. Of the two photos I found of Cossack showing throwers, one photo is of reloading the torpedo tubes. The outboard edge of the depth charges is visible in the background, the thrower hidden by a ventilator, a crewman standing nearby. You can see them both sides. The other photo is in rough weather, another Tribal is in the background. The thrower is not evident unless you enlarge the photo and know what to look for. Then it is unmistakable. And yes, the loading hoists also. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Like 1

Initially the RN Tribals' DC throwers were fitted on the after superstructure; later they were moved down to upper deck level (to reduce topweight?).  Photos of COSSACK after being torpedoed show that she was lost with the throwers still on the superstructure.  The RAN and RCN ships had throwers at upper deck level from build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...