Airfix HMS Cossack

Worms

A question;

To the port side of the tribals, adjacent to the mid ships AA deck was a small ship's boat. I  can find no decent photos of this boat but it appears to be lashed to the deck and is not suspended from davits.

Was the torpedo loading derrick used to lower and raise this boat?

Gidday Worms, I've just found some photos on "HMAS Warramunga trials" (I don't know how to create links) which shows the boat in question. It appears you're correct, no davits, just sitting on chocks. The ship is healing right over and on one of the photos the boat appears to have come adrift.

As for using the torpedo loading derrick I have no idea. It might be possible but it looks a little short of reach in the photos I found. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Most, if not all Tribal class ships carried a 16' Fast Motor Boat on a trolley, usually stowed to port of the after funnel.  Some landed theis boat during the war.  The trolley enabled it to be fleeted aft so that the torpedo davit could plumb the boat.  At least one 16' FMB survives in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - photos at https://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/639715.jpg and https://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/639714.jpg

1 hour ago, Our Ned said:

Most, if not all Tribal class ships carried a 16' Fast Motor Boat on a trolley, usually stowed to port of the after funnel.  Some landed theis boat during the war.  The trolley enabled it to be fleeted aft so that the torpedo davit could plumb the boat.  At least one 16' FMB survives in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - photos at https://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/639715.jpg and https://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1557/639714.jpg

Wow, thanks Jeff and Ned...

How's this for a guess?!!!!!

01kY6x.jpg

The boat is 9mm long, a little over scale at 17'8" but who's counting 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Interesting thread I just came across. Will be tackling this kit myself later this month, but I'll be water lining it, Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Cheers Ratch, the standard kit is a bit wobbly here and there but the Atlantic Models PE is superb....fiddly but superb!

1 hour ago, Our Ned said:

I'd suggest removing all but one of the thwarts, and adding an engine casing, as in the first of the two photos I linked to earlier.

And it took me ages to dovetail those thwarts in!

😁 looks like I can feel an engine casing coming on then...thanks Ned! 🧐

2 hours ago, Worms said:

Cheers Ratch, the standard kit is a bit wobbly here and there but the Atlantic Models PE is superb....fiddly but superb!

I detest PE so won't be touching in :poke:

4 hours ago, Worms said:

And it took me ages to dovetail those thwarts in!

Gidday Worms, rather than undo your work with this boat you could find or scratch-build another boat for HMS Cossack. And as for this boat with all those dovetailed thwarts? It was very well done. Build another ship around it! 😁  Regards, Jeff

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Worms, rather than undo your work with this boat you could find or scratch-build another boat for HMS Cossack. And as for this boat with all those dovetailed thwarts? It was very well done. Build another ship around it! 😁  Regards, Jeff

Oh if I must!...you realise I'm running myself ragged on a group build here that I have hardly touched because I have got so enthused with this build...So little photographic information on such an important warship has just got my juices flowing. A well documented written history but so little else!

Sorry, can't help the passion,  I'm not much of a modeller but I get totally absorbed by the stories of the heroic characters that shaped that period in world's history...I end up biting off more than I can chew...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Worms said:

I'm not much of a modeller but I get totally absorbed by the stories of the heroic characters that shaped that period in world's history..

Gidday again, as to whether someone is "much of a modeler" is irrelevant I think. There are some Michelangelos among us, and some Dr Frankensteins, the rest of us falling in between those two. What matters I believe is that we simply enjoy what we do. Try to improve a little but don't judge our models against those of others.

And as to being absorbed by the exploits of the heroic characters of yesteryear I understand. I have chosen to build a number of ships for that very reason (HMShips Campbeltown and Welshman to name a couple), plus one on hold and others planned.

Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose

Gidday Worms, Nick Carter was a torpedoman on the destroyer HMS Acasta - "The Man Who Hit the Scharnhorst". On p18, before the attack - "Why aren't those bloody guardrails cleared away?" And a couple of lines later - "They got the guardrails down in 30 seconds". 

Not conclusive I'm afraid, but Ned's photos above pretty much are. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Modelholic said:

The little details and railings really lift these kits up.

What glue d you use for PE?

Tom

Hi thanks Tom, yes, it's my first use of PE on a ship (first ship model in 25 years) and first time for such extensive use of PE on any model but it really does make a huge difference especially at this scale. It is very fiddly though!
I use CA (superglue) for fitting the PE and things like the fishing line for the funnel support cables.

Next time I will fit some PE before I paint next time but, masking becomes almost impossible so it's a case of accurately removing paint at the point of gluing. It is also very fragile stuff which is why I fitted most of the PE to the superstructure before fitting it to the deck and deck to hull. I'm also working from the centre out so, funnel lines, then AA deck PE then railings as it all starts to get a bit cramped!

Really looking forward to doing HMS Dorsetshire, HMS Rodney and King George V....I think! 😜

Nick.

• Like 1