Airfix HMS Cossack

Worms

My first ship in at least 25 years!

I have read and inwardly digested all the latest info on colour schemes...researched the ship (internet) and well...it's certainly going to be grey! 😉

VSlKKx.jpg

• Like 3

Gidday Worms, they were graceful yet powerful destroyers, I think. You didn't mention 'X' mounting. Are you going to replace it with a twin 4-inch? Many of them did. And will your model be full hull or waterlined? Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, the Tribals were a new breed. 

I initially intended to make X turret a 4 inch...although I have read that Cossack was fitted with a 4.7 turret with modified (increased) elevation...a bit more research methinks!

I'm intending to model her as she was (or probably was) in May 1941 with shortened rear funnel and rear mast and...now the controversial bit...507a hull with a lighter, possibly 507c,  vertical faces to the superstructure with a very dark deck.

2 hours ago, Worms said:

although I have read that Cossack was fitted with a 4.7 turret with modified (increased) elevation..

Gidday Worms, I didn't know that. Thanks. The reason I asked about full hull or waterline build is because I think the hull is 4mm too deep, mine was anyway. I can't see how that can be easily fixed on a full hull model, and it does present one issue - the prop shafts. You'll have to extend the shaft struts a little or the shafts will slope upwards, not downwards when looking aft towards the screws. That was an easy fix. Naturally, waterlined builds won't have these issues. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Sorry I didn't reply to the hull question...mine will be full hull.

I too had read about the inaccurate hull depth but at the time of starting I was more interested in a bit of practice on ships....things just started getting away from me as I commenced what I thought was going to be a oob build...as usual...😁

15 hours ago, Worms said:

now the controversial bit...507a hull with a lighter, possibly 507c,  vertical faces to the superstructure

A fairly typical destroyer scheme actually, so you can use with some confidence and anyone telling you it's wrong will need some specific and weighty evidence otherwise.

Just be sure to use corrected versions of both - Snyder & Short copies will have far too much contrast between them and look odd.

Thanks Jamie,

That's a relief!....I have mixed my own 507a using Tamiya X4, XF1 and XF54 at a 1:2:7 ratio...I know monitors vary but it was pretty close to your colour chip and looks right to me. I have used straight XF54 for vertical superstructure so far, that looks pretty close too. The dark deck grey was 1:4 XF1 and XF54.

I'll post some pics later!

Nick.

As I found more references to Cossack being fitted with a  4" twin mounting on x turret I went with that. This is just loosely mounted as I'm hoping for some Atlantic pe to turn up any day...

82o2HH.jpg

• Like 2

AFAIK Cossack (and all the other 4.7"twin  Mk.XIX mount  armed ships), had an elevation of 40 degrees with a (later) single mount having 55 degrees.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_47-45_mk9.php (a great site for all things weapony)

Royal Navy AA was fairly dismal in the early war years but got a lot better when the various radar equipped directors and small cannons appeared.

The Airfix 600 scale brings back some memories,

Tom

53 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

AFAIK Cossack (and all the other 4.7"twin  Mk.XIX mount  armed ships), had an elevation of 40 degrees with a (later) single mount having 55 degrees.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_47-45_mk9.php (a great site for all things weapony)

Royal Navy AA was fairly dismal in the early war years but got a lot better when the various radar equipped directors and small cannons appeared.

The Airfix 600 scale brings back some memories,

Tom

Hi Tom, that's a good site, I used that in my research!

Early Tribals were built with four double 4.7" mounts but the loss of a number of ships to aerial attacks early in the war prompted the replacement of X turret with a dedicated AA mount in about 1940. Cossack was re-fitted and repaired from the end of April 1940 when her 4" turret was fitted according to numerous reports....It's just that I found one report that said HA 4.7" guns were fitted...perhaps absolute evidence isn't available?

I'm assuming that this claim is probably reasonably accurate;

29th    Passage to Portsmouth for permanent repair.

30th    Taken in hand for repair.

May                         Repair arranged at J I Thornycroft shipyard at Southampton

.                               Taken in hand for repair

Pennant Number for visual signalling purposes changed to G03.

(Note: Refit work included:

Installation of Radar Type 286, which was an RAF

air/surface equipment modified for naval use and the

first radar outfit to be fitted in RN destroyers. For

details of the development and use of radar equipment

in the Royal Navy see RADAR AT SEA by D Howse.)

Twin 4.7in mounting in X position was replaced by twin

4in HA mounting and modifications were made to other

ship services.

source:http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-10DD-34Tribal-Cossack1.htm

Yep, Airfix's 1/600 brings back many memories for me too..thought I'd renew the acquaintance with a few of them again!

I'm thinking your referring to the 'other ship services' which could be anything.

I've never heard/read of the twin 4.7 having it's elevation increased (something to do with the trunnion height maybe) this would have been a very desirable thing to do and would have been well documented. i wonder if there's been some mix up with the L and M class destroyers which also used 4.7" in a different turret that had the higher elevation of 50 degrees?

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_47-50_mk11.php

Still whatever the elevation the builds looking spot on.

Tom

19 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I'm thinking your referring to the 'other ship services' which could be anything.

I've never heard/read of the twin 4.7 having it's elevation increased (something to do with the trunnion height maybe) this would have been a very desirable thing to do and would have been well documented. i wonder if there's been some mix up with the L and M class destroyers which also used 4.7" in a different turret that had the higher elevation of 50 degrees?

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_47-50_mk11.php

Still whatever the elevation the builds looking spot on.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I think we may be at cross purposes here, I'm referring to;

"Twin 4.7in mounting in X position was replaced by twin 4in HA mounting"

Which is how I'm modelling the ship but,

The reference to a twin 4.7" HA replacement for X turret actually comes from the HMS Cossack Association page...perhaps a typo, perhaps not. Unfortunately photographs of this area of the ship in the early half of 1941 seem a bit difficult to find...

I'm enjoying the build however and learning an awful lot about WW2 Naval ships and hopefully improving my modelling skills...which isn't difficult 😁

Gidday Worms, enjoying the build is the most important aspect I think. Learning about the subject and improving modeling skills are added bonuses. And I like your improvements to the guns and torpedo tubes. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

I was replying to your post #5

quote 'although I have read that Cossack was fitted with a 4.7 turret with modified (increased) elevation'

But you're correct in that quite a few Tribal's had X mount replaced by a twin 4"

FYI they're not 'turrets' but 'mounts' there was no revolving structure below deck level.

Happy modelling

Tom

According to John English Afridi to Nizam (Kendal: World Ship Society, 2001), COSSACK's "X" mounting was replaced by a twin 4" HA mounting during her battle damage repairs completed in June 1940.  She had RDF Type 286M (radar) fitted at the foretopmasthead during a repair period in January-February 1941.  Photos of her just before she sank (available on the previouslymentioned Cossack Association website, eg http://www.hmscossack.org/images/LO3_Sinking2.JPG) show a shortened after funnel, and a slightly shorter mainmast (the yard moved down to just below the level of the top of the tripod support legs and the mast itself cut off at the top of the legs).

Edited by Our Ned
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tom,

This is the 4.7" HA information I found from https://www.hmscossack.co.uk/portfolio/new-elegance-wine/

30 April 1940 Arrived at Portsmouth for de-storing

2 May 1940 Arrived at Thorneycroft’s Yard Southampton for repairs for damage sustained at 2nd Battle of Narvik

X gun mounting replaced by twin 4.7” HA. (High Angle)

Reserve Feed tank and patrol tank compartment repaired

Installation of Type 286 RADAR (RAD air to surface RADAR modified for naval use and the first RADAR outfit to be fitted in RN destroyers

Hi Ned, thanks for the info. There's also a good photo of the rear funnel and shortened mainmast on the IWM website https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205135964
hhKgoa.jpg

• Like 4

Blimey the Atlantic Models PE is detailed but very fiddly!

Some bits coming on, a quad vickers mounted in the amidships AA platform,  th quad pom pom and the aft funnel with PE and scratch built pipes.

aTcGf8.jpg

• Like 6

Gidday Worms, you've got an interesting way of doing things, building up from the deck first. I've never thought of building ships that way, I usually attach the deck very early and then build up from there. I'm interested as to how it works out. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff,  none of the superstructure is glued on yet, it's just placed on.

The PE is so tiny at this scale that it's much easier to fit it to the individual superstructure components  then paint (if it's the same colour) or paint it on the fret and then assemble, e.g. guns.

Once the PE is fitted and painted I will tidy up the deck, fit it to the hull and finally glue the superstructure on in conventional fashion...there are also many locating holes off centre on this kit so dummy runs are essential!

7 minutes ago, Worms said:

there are also many locating holes off centre on this kit

Gidday Worms, I found that too, and some of the locating holes in the gun mounts. I relocated some of the holes. Regards, Jeff.