Airfix 2020 AMW Thread?

Paul Bradley

I don't think this three days too early revelation could do any harm to Airfix,

Much more to the contrary, it will increase the popularity of the announced kits by estimated 0.03 percents

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Strict enforcement of copyright rules would remove a huge proportion of the photographs and information that appears on the internet. 

Although a lot of the time the defence of 'fair dealing' might be applied - ie they're just using it for educational or research purposes. Or for criticism and review.  But it's a fact of life now that many people post images and other works on the internet without a thought. Strict enforcement is usually unrealistic (unless you're a major player) and shouldn't be necessary when often a polite request and a degree of courtesy is all that's needed.

2 hours ago, junco said:

Agree are we wasting our time putting up a bit of news about Airfix and it disappears almost straight away.

Especially as the info I referred to was from Scalemates.....

Don't take it so personally. The thread was taken down by the Mods because it was a clear breach of copyright that had obviously been posted either without permission, or with permission of a person who had no rights to give that permission.  I doubt it was some kind of underground marketing ploy, so we'll dismisss that option out of hand.  Without the OP, the rest of the thread would have made little sense, and/or given away the information, and thinking about it I don't think you can hide the first post of a thread in isolation anyway :shrug:

If the original poster had asked before posting the info we would have said no, but we weren't given the option sadly. :shrug:

47 minutes ago, spfparker said:

Feel sorry for Airfix and hope that they take up their disappointment over the leak via their lawyers with the printers. Well done mods too - thats what you are here for.

Not me, but thanks on behalf of those involved with the take-down. :)  It's funny how we can get such polarised views on removal of something that was in all likelihood posted without anyone's permission.  We've been in touch with Airfix over the matter and they appreciated the take-down and were looking into the matter.  The cat is now sadly out of the bag, but we won't be plastering it allez uber de platz.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichG said:

This seemed to disipate as Airfix made things much more transparent with their Workbench blog, advent calenders or early announcements - offering us a single version of the truth. Having a "big announcement date" seems to me to have refuelled it again. Maybe Airfix need also to rethink their announcement strategy - if they really want to avoid such leaks (rather than encourage speculation - which I get a feeling they quite like).  

Just my thoughts.

Rich

I agree with this. When every Workbench had to possibility to reveal something completely new, it was exiting. Now it is sometimes so full of corporate-style hyping it is funny.

And if Airfix had a cash to hire a bunch of lawyers to harass their customers forum for blowing up their PR stunt (which I highly doubt because Hornby is not a "old big mouse"), instead of making better models, it would hilarious. I mean, one big announcement event is a bit of fun, but by no means it can be so important for their sales, that having list posted a few days earlier costs then any revenue. Maybe some manager will get a hit to his ego that his "great plan" failed, but that's it. I could understand some very early leak, resulting in Chinese company rushing their kit to hit shops earlier, but It is not such case.

Seriously, it's a digital era, get up and move to XXI century, not just put some important news into magazine and try to coordinate it with website. More detailed informations, more background, some nice additions like small frame and decals to make another variant, there is many ways to make a profit from dedicated collectors and fans, but not this. Somehow Eduard or Arma Hobby etc. manage to release their informations when they want.

Anyway, aren't we supposedly, ,a forum dwellers, a small minority of their customers, so why Airfix care about a leak here?

Ok, enough bashing, time for some praise. "Beginners kit" - if this is a step forward kits for both advanced modellers and regulars ones, that's great. Seriously, making kits with many small fiddle parts, PE, etc. for and kits good for kids and toy shops must be a real nightmare for designers.

• Like 3

I don't think we're achieving anything with this thread now other than going round in circles and speculating wildly, so I'm calling time.  No more threads on the subject please. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Mike locked this topic