Summer madness? Valom HP Hampden TB1

It must have been a sudden onset of lunacy after a series of very hot days during the Christmas break in 2017, but I pulled out the Valom Hampden TB1 kit. It’s been two years almost to the day since I started it. Everything that has been said about this kit is true - particularly with reference to the canopies. I managed to finish it, but it is no doubt a model that is best seen from a distance - the canopies are truely awful! Having said that, it does look rather nice in the later afternoon sun (although the hound is wondering what I am doing invading his space). Brush painted with Tamiya acrylics and completed with the kit markings for 489 (NZ) Squadron RAF, Thorney Island, Spring 1942. Build thread can be found here. Thanks for looking!

49327030152_66fd5a6319_b.jpg

49326811626_0124101c18_b.jpg

49327030462_3cf9514797_b.jpg

49326811791_b1e73cf6fd_b.jpg

49326811441_2a67d5a6e6_b.jpg

49326819577_330b474289_b.jpg

• Like 47

Nice work Simon - I haven't seen you around for a while - but this is worth the wait - it's a smashing job - WELL DONE!!!

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

absolutely brilliant building and painting of a plane only its mother (and me) would call beautiful!

Your brush painting is superb.

Congrats.

JR

• Like 1

That looks great Simon. Especially given it's brush painted with Tamiya acrylics. 

I'd love to do one myself but I'm waiting for Airfix's new tool.

• Like 1

Excellent work on this kit. I do see what you mean about the canopies.  Still it would look good partnered up with the unmentionable model that is about to appear. 😎

Your airframe paint work is really good. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Doccur said:

Fantastic work @SimonL! What is your brush painting secret?

Ash

Thanks Ash. No secrets. I guess first off using the appropriate sized brush for the task, this helps to avoid too many brushstrokes. Resisting the temptation of over brushing helps as well. Avoiding loading up the brush with too much paint. Making sure the paint is thinned appropriately (I use isopropyl alcohol with Tamiya acrylics) and mixed thoroughly before starting. Applying several thin coats rather than one or more thick coats is very important. Where possible try and paint in one direction rather than just slapping it on in different directions helps as well.

Oh - and avoid painting on very hot days 🙂

21 hours ago, BIG X said:

Nice work Simon - I haven't seen you around for a while - but this is worth the wait - it's a smashing job - WELL DONE!!

Thanks. Yes been AWOL for a few months - pressures of work. This last few weeks off has allowed me some time back at the bench.

20 hours ago, J Sherratt said:

Looks good to me! Well done. John

Thanks John!

15 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Simon,

absolutely brilliant building and painting of a plane only its mother (and me) would call beautiful!

Your brush painting is superb.

Congrats.

JR

Thanks JR - although I think the photography is hiding a few sins 🙂

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

Nice one Simon,.....looks great.

Thanks Tony.

12 hours ago, IanC said:

That looks great Simon. Especially given it's brush painted with Tamiya acrylics. 

I'd love to do one myself but I'm waiting for Airfix's new tool.

Thanks. They are not that bad 🙂 

New tool? Maybe in 1:48?

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:worthy: ... Excellent ... Just love the colors and Torpedo on this. 

thanks! Yes, the colour scheme is great.

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

A Flying Frying Pan with a torpecker? What's not to like?

Mike

The transparencies 🤣 thanks though.

13 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Wow that looks superb. Never seen a Hampden in coastal command colours before. Great result 👏

thanks, yes I love the colour scheme.

12 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Well, Simon. That looks pretty damn good to me.

thanks!

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Excellent work on this kit. I do see what you mean about the canopies.  Still it would look good partnered up with the unmentionable model that is about to appear. 😎

Your airframe paint work is really good. 

Thanks. AZ Model I think has re-boxed the Valom Hampdens with new canopies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Simon, it does look very nice indeed.  I have a stalled one in the stash and may have to dig it out for another look now.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best

Chris

Thanks!  Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SimonL said:

Oh - and avoid painting on very hot days 🙂

Hi Simon,

I do so love your tip!!!!

Here we have had between 40 and 45 Celsius for way over a month now, and I believe your temperatures are quite balmy too...

So yes, even painting with enamels is a challenge. I do not even try alcohol at the moment... unless I drink it!

Great Hampden!

JR