Bae Warrior, Airfix

Colin W

Hi Chaps 

Not much activity over December due to the uncertainty of the bun fight. The British AFV build seemed to have little or no chance of success from early on and so I decided to build my Warrior to keep me busy until the Scandinavian group build. 

Meanwhile we now have this forum and i note Enzo has relaxed the 25% rule so i will submit the Warrior. Until the first of January there was no paint so its recent  progress is quite rapid. 

20200104_132712

I'm also building the quad bikes and a Coyote. These are great little kits as they fit together quite well and don't take much planning. 

Colin 

• Like 7

This should be a good build, there will be a 2nd chance with the new more inclusive build. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064398-british-afv’s-through-time-a-two-era-build/

Hopefully it will garner a better chance thus time ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Popped the top on the hull and added a few more bits front and back. These models seem to involve a lot of building with painting at the end. Im not sure how easy it will be to paint the road wheels and tracks though? 

20200107_210332

Colin 

• Like 4

Stroll on Colin, you look like you have nearly finished this one already  !

I haven't built an AFV since i was in short trousers.

I hope you dont mind if i follow this one to learn all the AFV secrets do you ?

cheers Pat

Hi Pat, thanks for the comments. I have built exactly 1 trundly in the last 35 years so don't rely on me for guidance. 

Maybe Dennis or a few others will chip in later with how i should have done it.

Colin 

• Haha 1

Well not a lot but some progress. I have attached a lot of smaller components to the hull and pretty much completed the turret. Everything now given a few coats of Mr Colour 19 Sand.

20200114_195548

Still wondering how to do the tyres. 

Colin 

• Like 1

Enough procrastinating. Wheels (tyres) dry brushed using Revell aqueous anthracite. 

20200115_074750

Came out really good. Only a bit of touching up needed. 

Side armour and front tv cameras added. 

Certainly these armour  kits go nowhere for weeks then suddenly finished almost overnight. 

Colin 

• Like 2

Coming on nicely. 👍

Airfix gave me one of these to review five years ago and I really enjoyed building it. It was just a shame that the side armour is overscale but I stayed with it as my own attempts at scratchbuilt armour was a disaster! In addition to the basic kit, I used the Airfix PE (A65004) for it and also fixed a notable absence - crew figures which I adapted from the Airfix 1/48 British Forces Vehicle Crew Set (A03702).

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi David. 

I also bought the Warrior PE set to replace the side armour only to find it doesn't. Ho hum. 'Mai pen rai' as we say here.

I started on the additional 'Venetian' armour tonight. Actually it went on really well and is quite substantial. I can't say it has improved the looks but I decided to carry on. I'll have to build another Warrior to use the PE in the proper group build  next year, so for that I'll leave this off.

20200116_214608

Colin 

• Like 3

That is the only downside on this model... Also thought since they released a general PE-set that the one for the slat would follow... Seems it has lost its way somewhere...

some brave guy tried this:

https://houseofqueeg.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/airfix-148th-bae-warrior-build-log-5/

https://houseofqueeg.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/airfix-148th-bae-warrior-build-log-8/

• Like 1

Thanks Silenoz

I like the thinner slated armour as you can see the tank underneath. For me this is a fun build so such an exercise would be self defeating. Thanks for sharing. 

Colin 

Slow but sure progress on the Warrior. All the additional 'Venetian' armour now fitted along with the rear door. Just weathering and a few minor additions necessary. 

(If it's fair to call the gun on a tank as a minor addition!)

20200123_072019

20200123_072039

All the aerials will be replaced with carbon fibre rod.

Colin 

• Like 1

Turret now installed so only aerials and weathering to do. Interestingly initial building seemed to be slow as there was always another little thing to do. Painting and major assembly was relatively quick and now final details seem to take ages. 

20200123_193421

20200123_193356

Colin 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Weathering now completed with a wash of thinned burnt umber.

Finished pictures in the gallery. 

I'll probably get another one for the Group build next year and do it in a European scheme without the outer armour panels 

Colin