1/72 Hasegawa F-15SG RSAF50 Scheme

DonH

I have assembled the Hasegawa F-15SG kit and am enjoying all the decals needed to complete the special RSAF50 scheme. Decals are by Miliverse and I can't recommend them enough. Thin, bed down like they were painted on but tough as nails when moving them around into position.

Pics....

RH9z1Ys.jpg

c4e2OxO.jpg

9MrKBcx.jpg

P9c9rIQ.jpg

Excuse the wrinkles in the last couple of pics. The micros was still wet.

I also have some colour matching to do between the decals and the grey at the back. I think I have a good match but that won't be tackled for a day or ten.

• Like 5

I have done some more. This completes all the main swirly bits. 

vX5sKTN.jpg?1

As you can see from this next picture, I have some touching up to do....

gBiZLD3.jpg

Hope to post some more later in the week. Ciao.

• Like 4

Triumph and Tragedy!!

I finally found an acceptable paint match (on the second attempt) Yay!!

gBiZLD3.jpg

dEfoFTK.jpg

But then.... TRAGEDY!!!

No-one to blame but me......and Tamiya masking tape. Nope, it's all on me.

QHzMqM8.jpg

zzoxfoz.jpg

WAAAAAH!!!

Not sure how to fix this other than very careful touching up with the airbrush. Don't fancy my chances. 

I have some spare bits of decal I could use. Stay tuned to see what happens.

Will this head for the SOD, or will I snatch victory from the jaws of defeat?

All will be revealed, sooner or later.

Edited by DonH
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Progress at last!

Some repairs:

9bpPTV9.jpg

And the inside of the fins have been re-painted:

AfAJTGp.jpg

"But Don, old chap," I hear you say, "what will you do about the nice markings on the inside of the fins?"

Never fear oh intrepid band of modellers, I have fallen victim to the best act of customer service I have ever experienced in my life, ever.

"What happened, Don?" I hear you cry in wonder. Well, pull up a stool closer to the bar and I'll tell you...

You may recall that I have been extolling the virtues of the Miliverse decals I have been using, which are superb. I was also not finding a good solution to touching up the ripped tail fin decals. So, I emailed Mark at Miliverse and asked nicely if I might purchase said decals as replacements. "No problem" said Mark (to my surprise), "do you mind paying postage?" Course not, saith I. 

So a few days later, I received the decals for the tail fins. What is amazing is they are attached to another complete set of decals for this kit. I was not expecting that! Now I have spares to cover any other botch ups as I career towards the finish line on this build.

My heartfelt thanks to Mark at Miliverse. Check them out, you won't regret it.

http://miliverse.com/index.html

Next time... decals should be done and we will be onto final clear coat (gloss or satin?) and some very light weathering.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DonH said:

So, I emailed Mark at Miliverse and asked nicely if I might purchase said decals as replacements. "No problem" said Mark (to my surprise), "do you mind paying postage?" Course not, saith I. 

So a few days later, I received the decals for the tail fins. What is amazing is they are attached to another complete set of decals for this kit. I was not expecting that! Now I have spares to cover any other botch ups as I career towards the finish line on this build.

My heartfelt thanks to Mark at Miliverse. Check them out, you won't regret it.

http://miliverse.com/index.html

Yup, I've always had the best of service from Mark. He's awesome! 

I have the same decal sheet & it's good to know how good they are and that there's no bleed-through for the white parts.  I usually buy 2 (or more) sets of the same sheets from Mark because I have a fear of screwing up the decals. Especially if the decals are thin. From past experience, I have a tendency to fold over thin decals and have a hard time unfolding them back.

Also, a lesson learnt from the former Horizon ModelTech :

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/singaporescootersreviewbg_1.htm

I missed out on those sheets when they first came out.  So when it comes to items from cottage industries, you better grab them while they are still available.  Luckily Mark released his awesome RSAF Skyhawk sheet some time back and I grabbed both the 1/72 & 1/48 ones ( in case my eyesight deteriorates over the years and I can't build 1/72 anymore). 

You've done an awesome job so far on your F-15SG and you must have a lot of patience for decalling such a complex scheme :clap:

Thanks Jackman,

To be honest, the white is a little translucent, although it is supposed to be grey anyway. The colour call out on the instructions is wrong and I used the closest match I had. I am sitting in Changi Airport at the moment, so can't tell you what that was - I will look when I get home at the weekend.

The good news is, I got the new decals on the tail fins this morning and everything looks very good.

Are you going to try and build a two seat RSAF Skyhawk???  That would be fun to see.

7 hours ago, DonH said:

Are you going to try and build a two seat RSAF Skyhawk???  That would be fun to see.

That's the Holy Grail of Skyhawks.  😁   No idea how to make one because of that unique 2-seat configuration and that one-of-a-kind rear canopy.

2 hours ago, Jackman said:

That's the Holy Grail of Skyhawks.  😁   No idea how to make one because of that unique 2-seat configuration and that one-of-a-kind rear canopy.

I agree, I haven't figured it out yet either. Too hard for me, I think.

• 2 months later...