What a/c type

Finn

It almost looks like an Anson - low stature, small bomb bays and what looks like the undercarriage over on the left.  The informal dress of the guy wiggling at the (practice?) bombs suggests a civilian armourer on a BCATP station?

Is there any indication where this is, or whose air force?

• Like 1

British bombs. Probably   Fairey battle wing cells, bomb doors removed due to the small bombs as the weight of the bomb usually opened them due to spring pressure small bombs couldn't do it.  The U/C bars behind may also be a givaway. I Suspect taken in Canada due to the date of the picture.

Selwyn

• Like 3

On second thought it might well be an Oxford.  The bomb bays seem not to match the Anson's but they do seem to match the Oxford's, both in shape and placement.  And the undercarriage bits are pointing the wrong way for a Battle.

I'm still thinking it was in Canada and the Oxford was used here (as were the Anson and Battle) for bombing training.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJP said:

On second thought it might well be an Oxford.  The bomb bays seem not to match the Anson's but they do seem to match the Oxford's, both in shape and placement.  And the undercarriage bits are pointing the wrong way for a Battle.

I'm still thinking it was in Canada and the Oxford was used here (as were the Anson and Battle) for bombing training.

Not sure that the oxford had any bomb bays?

Selwyn

Yes, a dozen small practice bombs between the spars in the centre section.  The bay projected from the undersurface a bit - I suppose that was the result of the Oxford having been derived  at least notionally from the Envoy.  The old Profile (JDR Rawlings) says the bombs were carried without the benefit of bomb doors, leaving me to wonder if the cover was removed before use.  Another mystery!

Edited by RJP
spelling clean-up
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The Oxford did indeed have a bomb bay.  The old profile had a beautiful photo on the cover of an Oxford banking away from the camera giving us a clear view of the underside.

This:

49329944412_35b593153a_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 4