Blue Blue Steel Training Rounds

Adam Poultney

15 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Then what's the blue ones?

"Boiler Plate" non-nuclear dummy rounds of which 6 or 7 were built and used for loading, handling, transportation and other trials by the respective manufacturers.  Sixteen training rounds were built (s/n T01 - T16).  In the early days, seven each were at Scampton and Wittering with two at Boscombe Down.

Dennis

Ahhh right getting my wires crossed a bit then haha. Right, well what shade of blue do I need for the "Boiler Plate" rounds? 

I'd like to paint a spare 1/72 Blue Steel I have lying around as one of the blue ones to fit to my Airfix Victor B.Mk.2R (XL512) sometimes instead of the normal white one. 

The Blue steel practice rounds were painted BS381C 112  Arctic blue which was the colour initially adopted  for practice rounds by the UK when they moved to the NATO Munitions marking system in 1964 this colour was not satisfactory and was subsequently  replaced in service by BS381C 113 Deep Saxe  Blue.

The Idea that you could just knock up a training round out of "boiler plate" is absolutely laughable!  Any variant of a weapon  that can  be flown has to be certified and  mass  and shape representative of the real thing.   They will be saying that practice bombs are filled with concrete next! (another Fallacy exposed!)

Selwyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1