F/A-18E Super Hornet VFA-31 (Hasegawa 1/48)

I finally finished my Super Hornet.

After the gloss coat, I made an oil wash, flat coated the TPS area and made the final assembly.

I had a bummer nearing the end (meaning after the oil wash, right before the flat coat. The model was in an unsafe place, because I planned to flat coat it in the next hour or so. As I was looking for something in the cupboard above it, an object fell on the modell. As the canopy was still masked, I didn't find out about the degree of the damage. The nose antenna broke of, and I heard a rattling inside the aircraft. so I assumed that the HUD was dislodged.

The nose antenna was no problem, there was a spare in the kit. I thought that maybe I can remove the canopy and reattach the HUD.

However, after the final flat coat, when I unmasked the canopy, I found out that the object seemed to have hit the canopy directly and there was a crack in the canopy 😞

As it turned out, I glued the canopy in place really tight.

So I found no way to repair the damage without greater surgery and replacement parts and decals, therefore I decided to leav it as it is. It is a pity, but I think it is still a beautiful model.

I managed to reattach the HUD - the windscreen wasn't glued as tight as the canopy - but that was after I took the pictures 😐

More pictures will be posted in the Ready for Inspection:

spacer.png

Cheers,

Markus

Edited by Delayar
  • Like 4