Hawker Hurricane Mk. I. 1/72nd Airfix

Since I finally have some time for scale modelling I want to get back into the hobby with some easy kit. Also, after my first not quite succesful attempt, I want to get myself used to airbrushing with this one.

spacer.png

I slowly started with the build with the wing assembly. there was a lot of sanding required, since the top and bottiom halves didn't allign. there was lot of cutting and filling required in the wing reflector shafts. I also filled the wing sections behing the gun bays since I read on the czech modelforum that there was no fabric in that area. The silver paint in the wheel well and bottom of the cockpit is Revell Aqua 99 and it's the only shade that will be brushpainted on the model (except for tiny details in the cocpit) I have yet to get proper metallic shades for the airbrush.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I made my own masks for the first time. I think that I will redo the front section once more, but I'm quite happy with the moving part of the canopy.

spacer.png

uiBFDCC.jpg

First airbrushed part is the cockpit. Tamiya acrylic paint thinned with Mr. Levelling Thinner. This time, the whole experience was much better. i did not get any dry tip or huge rough splatters. Now I have to add details with brush and seatbelts from tamiya masking tape.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Ah! The landing lights. Got it.

Unless you are going to replace the kit's clear lights with after-marker or scratch-built, they are supposed to be stepped like that. On mine, I used a small paint brush and some silver paint to paint the lights from the back side. After glueing them into place, I sanded them smooth with a fine sanding stick. I then used Future/Pledge to fill any gaps and repolished.

49324074643_0ecaa26974_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Ah! The landing lights. Got it.

Unless you are going to replace the kit's clear lights with after-marker or scratch-built, they are supposed to be stepped like that. On mine, I used a small paint brush and some silver paint to paint the lights from the back side. After glueing them into place, I sanded them smooth with a fine sanding stick. I then used Future/Pledge to fill any gaps and repolished.

49324074643_0ecaa26974_b.jpg

Chris

I know that they are supposed to be these steps on top and bottom, to match the shape of the landing light. But in mine build I had steps on the right and left side, so thats where i had to make those corrections. Thanks for the tip with painting, I'll do it the same way as you did 😀 

• Like 1

Little bit of progress today, as I painted some details in the cockpit, The bristles on my brush were dividing and didn't keep in pointed shape si there are some tiny mistakes, but I'll keep it this way since it almost won't be visible and oil washes will tone it down. I also made new masks for the windshield and I have yet to cut them out and apply.

spacer.png

spacer.png

DBoW93y.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, plantaznik said:

So, why no pictures, just links to them?

Chris

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

So, why no pictures, just links to them?

Chris

My apologies, i had to post it from phone since my laptop screen is broken and I couldn't do it properly. I will fix it 😅