Just upgraded...

ProjeKtWEREWOLF

I've been using a garbage Chinese airbrush since the summer. I'm getting reasonable results, and I've learned a lot on the way. I could have carried on using this (came free with my compressor), but it's a huge pain to clean. It's one of those dumb side entry gravity fed affairs which seems to store an ungodly amount of paint in it. 

I've received a surprise rebate (due to overpayment) 

So today I upgraded.  I've ordered a Badger Patriot 105.  I was initially going for the H&S Ultra 2in1, but the push fit paint pot and strange nozzle design wasn't for me.  The Badger looks pretty robust and easy to clean. 

My old brush will be for varnishes now. 

• Like 1

The difference between the Badger and the no name Chinese AB is night and day. 

I've ordered a 0.3 needle and nozzle set, as well as one of the new guarded tips. I am very clumsy, but also hoping I can back flush with my finger rather than the rubber cap (less hassle).

I'm happy overall. 

• Like 1

Glad you didn't go with the H&S Ultra.  Can't comment on a Badger.  I have the H&S Silverline 2in1 and it's fought me ever since I bought it.  I plan on trading it in on a GSI (Iwata knock off) pretty soon here.  Can make my Iwata run circles around the H&S.

• Like 1

It's a bit of a shock how different the 105 is compared to my budget airbrush. 

The HUGE needle size (0.5!) Compared to the 0.3; it just throws paint out. I'm having a hard time getting the thinning ratio correct (never a problem before), and the finesse required is a new experience. 

Needless to say I will be practicing this weekend. 

• Like 1

Badgers, i love them...

Must say it isn’t the same as Iwata as they are more refined but Badgers 

last a live...got my first more than 25 years ago and it is still doing the job and spares are easy to get after all those years as they are still in production.

Hope you like it and get used to it!

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Badgers, i love them...

Must say it isn’t the same as Iwata as they are more refined but Badgers 

last a live...got my first more than 25 years ago and it is still doing the job and spares are easy to get after all those years as they are still in production.

Hope you like it and get used to it!

cheers, Jan

I had a head scratching time last night. Dismantled it to lube and deep clean. Could I get it back together?!  Haha. I managed it, but the trigger to air valve connection is tricky. Clumsy fingers. 

I was going to spray some more this morning, but got distracted building my first 1/35 tank (Tamiya Chieftain xmas gift).  

• Like 1