Me410 A-1 - FineMolds 1/72

CedB

On 11/01/2020 at 10:36, perdu said:

Gloss

Do please gloss, after masking because the gloss will usually seep under that 'bad mask' bits so the colour cannot

A woowey copter, this'll be fun

Alan, you s-d now I have more YouTube giggles to keep up with

Life's so short... 

Thanks Bill - your wish is my command! Glossed :) 

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

My thoughts exactly :poke:

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow :) 

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

You beat me to it!

Ian

Thanks Ian - are we all out to lunch then? :frantic:

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice bombs and the canopy is looking good. Something about a helicopter. 😯

Johnny

Thanks Johnny - yep, Whirlybird! :) 

Having a tidy up in the man cave. With the new SDD I decided to see if all the old HDDs hanging around would be any good for hendie-like-greeblies:

49367777816_193074a036_z.jpg

I have four of these embarrassingly small storage discs from old servers so ripped them apart:

49367992602_b12e937a0b_z.jpg

Some interesting looking bits there I thought.

Then I thought 'How do you get them off? Desolder?'

Then I thought 'I could scratch most of those shapes with plastic' and chucked them in the bin for recycling.

Scratched the disc surface of course. Just in case.

Back to the 410.

Remember the intake thingies:

49370164302_8496da7eff_z.jpg

While watching tele last night I re-visited Vincent's Hobby Elements site and salivated over his micro flat files, again.

Trouble is I don't want to spend $25 on sets of three grade files - I really want a set of different sizes.

Too dear.

Searching (again) for other micro files I came across the desirable Micromark Micro File set - I think PC has a set. :Tasty:

I can't find them in the UK - does anyone know if there's a UK supplier?

Anyone got a set and can recommend, or otherwise?

This morning I searched again and found the 'Modelcraft Jeweltool Diamond Reamer and File Set'.

Realised I have one of those:

49371553268_497c8a6460_z.jpg

Senior moment.

Careful sanding with the flat bit gave me this:

49371549748_6115f55037_z.jpg

…and I poked around the little gap with a scalpel.

I'd still like the micro file set though if it's better?

Anyway, cleaned over with IPA (avoiding the glossed canopy) and ready for primer later:

49372210402_92e5493664_z.jpg

• Like 13

Looking very nice Ced! It’s interesting to see how similar it looks to the truly ‘orrible Lindberg version that I bought out of curiosity and then had to make.

Looking at your HDD pics, I thought you had discovered the perfect source of 12-cylinder radials!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, giemme said:

That looks like a very neat job to me, Ced :clap: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

23 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking very nice Ced! It’s interesting to see how similar it looks to the truly ‘orrible Lindberg version that I bought out of curiosity and then had to make.

Looking at your HDD pics, I thought you had discovered the perfect source of 12-cylinder radials!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) 12-cylinder radials? Where?

Primed:

49372402337_f26fdf7668_z.jpg

Made sure that the non-grey bits were covered and then tried some 'variation' on the rest.

Ready now for the RLM 65/70/71. I'll be using Vallejo Model Air so I don't foresee any problems.

Famous last words!

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Bottom of second HDD pic. Good enough for a deep cowling anyway. My eyesight is rubbish before I’ve had at least three coffees on Sunday morning...

Ah, now I can see them :) 

RLM65:

49372432611_63a7b8f61a_z.jpg

Masking next.

When that's dry.

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, perdu said:

Im kinda desperately hoping Ced actually noticed what i wrote about glossing

After Masking, Gloss

Ho hum, we'll see

He said he did. Check post #155. :D

Primer and RLM65 looking very smooth, Ced - as per your usual standards :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, perdu said:

One of the loveliest blues known to aeromodellers

Yes, for german WW2 airplanes probably, although I like RLM78 more on them

But I never understood why Siku put them onto their diecasts. Especially with an orange interieur. For me a no go to let them that way, when I restore one in this configuration

v277-1.jpg

Cheers.

P.S: Nice work on the Me! Very smooth finish. Like it very much, Ced.

Cheers again

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Some interesting looking bits there I thought.

Then I thought 'How do you get them off?

rather like you with aircrew Ced... I cut their legs off.

I cut through the legs on one side of the greeblie, just by pressing an old blade down on it. Once that done, I lift that side and wiggle a few times and It'll fall right off.

If it has a lot of legs I may try cutting both sides. Lever with a screwdriver, twist with pliers - whatever gets the job done. 

I like them because I'm useless at cutting two sides to 90 degrees, and they are all perfectly square

If I'm using them to replicate electronics, they don't need painted... and most (even the tiniest) usually has some form of printing on it (even if you can't read it) so adds that visual aspect without having to add decals or paint.

and lastly, 'cos I'm lazy

and even more lastly - cos they're free

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hendie said:

I cut through the legs on one side of the greeblie, just by pressing an old blade down on it. Once that done, I lift that side and wiggle a few times and It'll fall right off.

Took me a second to work out what you were talking about there. It sounded downright eye-watering at first! :blink2:

• Haha 7

Just now, Heather Kay said:

Took me a second to work out what you were talking about there. It sounded downright eye-watering at first! :blink2:

remember Heather - this is a Ced Rated thread!   Fnaars are almost compulsory

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Im kinda desperately hoping Ced actually noticed what i wrote about glossing

After Masking, Gloss

Ho hum, we'll see

One of the loveliest blues known to aeromodellers

Noted Bill, honest! :) I assume I can use Klear on tape rather than Aqua Gloss (which is more expensive - being thrifty) 

1 hour ago, giemme said:

He said he did. Check post #155. :D

Primer and RLM65 looking very smooth, Ced - as per your usual standards :clap:

Ciao

See Bill, told you :D Thanks Giorgio.

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Yes, for german WW2 airplanes probably, although I like RLM78 more on them

But I never understood why Siku put them onto their diecasts. Especially with an orange interieur. For me a no go to let them that way, when I restore one in this configuration

[snip pic]

Cheers.

P.S: Nice work on the Me! Very smooth finish. Like it very much, Ced.

Cheers again

Thanks Ben :) I agree with you on the blue/orange - very 'sixties'.

39 minutes ago, hendie said:

rather like you with aircrew Ced... I cut their legs off.

If it has a lot of legs I may try cutting both sides. Lever with a screwdriver, twist with pliers - whatever gets the job done. 

I like them because I'm useless at cutting two sides to 90 degrees, and they are all perfectly square

If I'm using them to replicate electronics, they don't need painted... and most (even the tiniest) usually has some form of printing on it (even if you can't read it) so adds that visual aspect without having to add decals or paint.

and lastly, 'cos I'm lazy

and even more lastly - cos they're free

Thanks hendie - I can do that! In fact with an old chisel blade it was really easy:

49373032106_722c17a066_z.jpg

I now have a box of greeblies:

49373131451_8e2fc704e2_z.jpg

… and a kna****ed blade, but worth it.

28 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

It was fine, just watch your fingers and wear eye protection! :D 

26 minutes ago, hendie said:

remember Heather - this is a Ced Rated thread!   Fnaars are almost compulsory

Er, fnaar! :D 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, CedB said:

… and a kna****ed blade, but worth it.

Wise decision to use these things. I once ripped of an old kitchen mixer in the early 90' and put several things onto an Italeri F-18  and an Alpha Jet ( Esci, I think). Just to make the empty cockpit parts look busy a little more. Nothing real in the end  and more like a "Back to the future" car but it suited me then.  Cheers

• Like 3

On 1/9/2020 at 10:48 AM, CedB said:

(Ahem) Yes, thanks Phil :)

(See, I'm getting better, not a fnaar in sight!)

Are you WiPing the Calypso somewhere? Photos needed!

😜 I did wonder about the phraseology but figured nobody would take it out of context. ...probl'y…. then again... 😁😁

Calypso, is mostly done but needs the final titivations (fnnar, you've got me doing it now). Not done a WIP as I'm a bit befuddled with picture hosting these days after the PB debacle. I think I did Village photos but that's lost in the midst of time. The Stranraer is mostly together but could receive a WIP, it's about a 3rd of the workload through. Trouble is, work has taken off like a rocket and I'm not checking in here as often as I was in recent months, so WIPs would be somewhat glacial. Have worked out that my stash is 30 years of work at my present build rate!  I'll be 80 by then!  👴

• Like 2

On 12/01/2020 at 15:30, Spookytooth said:

The 410 is looking good Ced.

And a box of isit`s for future builds as well, can`t be bad.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - if I remember, look out for them in future builds! :) 

On 12/01/2020 at 15:33, Cookenbacher said:

Yeah lots of radios, oxygen tanks and ammo boxes in that newly liberated electronic treasure trove there Ced.

Nice paint work too!

Thanks Cookie :) 

On 12/01/2020 at 16:27, bbudde said:

Wise decision to use these things. I once ripped of an old kitchen mixer in the early 90' and put several things onto an Italeri F-18  and an Alpha Jet ( Esci, I think). Just to make the empty cockpit parts look busy a little more. Nothing real in the end  and more like a "Back to the future" car but it suited me then.  Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

13 hours ago, HP42 said:

😜 I did wonder about the phraseology but figured nobody would take it out of context. ...probl'y…. then again... 😁😁

Calypso, is mostly done but needs the final titivations (fnnar, you've got me doing it now). Not done a WIP as I'm a bit befuddled with picture hosting these days after the PB debacle. I think I did Village photos but that's lost in the midst of time. The Stranraer is mostly together but could receive a WIP, it's about a 3rd of the workload through. Trouble is, work has taken off like a rocket and I'm not checking in here as often as I was in recent months, so WIPs would be somewhat glacial. Have worked out that my stash is 30 years of work at my present build rate!  I'll be 80 by then!  👴

I know what you mean about photo hosts Phil :) I spend a lot of time on here so I've just bitten the bullet and paid for Flickr Pro. YMMV.

It'd be nice to see some pictures of Calypso though - if you're shy you could email them to me?

Anyway, waiting for masking mojo didn't work so I've disciplined myself this morning. Easy bits first:

49383658188_c67263285f_z.jpg

Then the 'OMG the intakes are camo colour' mask around this painful bit:

49383659078_590f254c88_z.jpg

Now I need the curved demarcation on the nacelles and tail. As you know I don't do wheels down very often so I have lots of wheel masks and the 'outers' like this:

49383665828_cc89dbcb69_z.jpg

…or the surrounding tape make nice curved bits like this:

49383679013_e78baa771b_z.jpg

Fiddly but done: 

49384390052_cde4a79725_z.jpg

…just need to cover the rest with wide tape. Be careful of those counterbalance weights.

Then yes, I ran some Klear along the edges:

49384253646_3c09a0f518_z.jpg

See, I do learn.

Slowly.

• Like 16

RLM71 on:

49384147333_66113a61ca_z.jpg

I hope that tape under the port wing dropped off after I sprayed in that area.

I'll stick it down later.

Watch the weights!

• Like 15