Me410 A-1 - FineMolds 1/72

CedB

I am happy to admit that living within the catchment area of Birmingham public transport is a frequently viable option

In my recent past I had press access to several shows at the NEC (whatever it is called these days)

Parking at the NEC is ruinously expensive but being in possession of my Pensioner's Travel card meant that I was able to leave home and head on down there easily

The 'bus passes the end of my road every thirty minutes heading to the City Centre

From the City terminus it is a four minute walk to Grand Central Station (Unnecessary rename of a traditional New Street Station) and pop onto Platform whatever to ride the next train to London (stopping at Birmingham International)

Exit at Bham Inter travel via press room into the exhibition

Free coffee and bikkies, ah yes sweeties too and somewhere to park heavy bags and coats then check photos for personal file and head for the station to make the return journey

Home for tea and the only pennies spent were in the loo

And I had to take my MGF for a service and MOT after a suspension pump up

The only suitable garage was on the opposite side of Birmingham to my home, the Cross city train runs every few minutes and is handy for the bus route

Quick bus ride then the train or subject myself to an hour of disrupted (deliberately by car-unfriendly Labour council) stop start traffic directly across the city?

I let the train take the strain

All for free which was a good thing when I got the bill for the MGF work...

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, perdu said:

Grand Central Station (Unnecessary rename of a traditional New Street Station)

Not only unnecessary but also outside the bounds of the Trade Description Act!

In all fairness I haven't been to it since the 1970s when I used to go to the model shop in the shopping centre above it on the way home from school. Snow Hill as a far nicer station.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I used to visit Beattie's to marvel at what ever gem Terry Marriott had on display in  the cabinet of wonders, his F6 Lightning has remained in my mind's eye ever since

Snow Hill was not a station I used often, family rarely flew GWR to the West Country   :(

• Like 3

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I've had mine for three years this Friday. I've used it once....!!

Likewise.

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

You need to find a route with a good pub on it!

Ian

Sadly when the last stage leaves Dodge City for the boonies at 17:15 on a Saturday the quality of the pub doesn't really matter! Oh and that's the last bus of three on a Saturday - we live 18 miles from Aberdoom for gawds sake! 

Move to the country she said, more house for our money, she said, it'll be nice and quiet she said......

• Haha 4

Thanks Bill - I shall ponder then… I've already downloaded the app and planned a route to a meeting in a few days. Just a 10 minute ride so a good test :) 

I hope the MGF is better now.

Nice to see you and Adrian reminiscing too - those were the days eh?

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

MGF? Have you got rid of the Midget Bill?

Keith

15 minutes ago, hendie said:

there's a midget Bill ?  what scale does he work in?

:rofl2:

A bit of masking done but I've realised I need to assemble the canopy first.

Better make sure it all fits first.

But wait, what's this?:

49346425332_fe0dea2b77_z.jpg

Bottom left. Cut. CUT?

The nose part doesn't fit now despite my trying it earlier - remember this?:

49326236898_5068786190_z.jpg

That was before the internals went in. Hmmm.

I shall put this to one side:

49346227711_e68e83dfac_z.jpg

…until I have more some patience.

In the meantime I've assembled the bomb halves so they can be sanded before I fit the fins:

49346186641_1bd95b52ff_z.jpg

Note the colour instructions - black or grey?

And the bombs are black are they?

They're green with yellow noses on the box art.

:shrug:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Page 4? I'd only just found the FW and still to finish the flying boat saga! I'm going to get a Tardis to do the timey wimey thing and fast forward and get to the first page of your next build before you even start on  it!

Nice work by the way on an interesting looking aircraft love the cockpit & crew, must get some of those nail art thingy's (for modelling purposes obvs!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

They're green with yellow noses on the box art.

German bombs were dark green (Schwarzgrün RLM 70/ yellow RLM 04 nose, I guess) and not black. I painted all bombs black as a kid, but that was clearly wrong and I didn't bother anyway then.

• Thanks 1

Well, all this talk of bus passes etc I still have a few years to go yet but my wife has a companion pass which allows her to travel in the local area with me or anyone else (she suffers severe mental illness and needs someone with her when travelling)

Great fast work on this one Ced.

I suggest a fine razor saw for the delicate cutting of the clear part.

Simon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Done. Just for you Johnny :) You know what'll happen now don't you? Someone will post a reference shot of the 'characteristic rough edges of the exhaust covers'!

Bless your heart. And yes they will, I can just feel it in my water. 🤣

• Haha 3

Great progress, I made one of these a few years back and have to say I had to fight it all the way. The fuselage halves didn't line up properly, the engine nacelles were a very poor fit and needed lots of filler and trimming and the clear parts were also a difficult fit. I have to say that the end result was very pleasing though even if the engine nacelles look to be way too big.

Keep up the good work, it encourage me to break another one of these from my stash.

Duncan B

• Like 2

In my garage is still a bespoke modelling bench as seen during countless early days builds

A Puma and a Jipponose Warship thyngy spring quickly to mind from those days (The very last warship thyngy I shall be persuaded to build in the name of charidee, I avow!)

NO Keith the Midget is mine and will be until, well , whatever...

The Fidget was bestowed on me by a charitable amigo and has been subject of comment around here before, late summer I think

I present for your eyes only, Fidget

20190916_150818.jpg

She looks very down at heel here as she was in dire need of more Hydra in her Gas, now sorted she is a pleasure to drive

Not entirely certain which MG to ride to Le Mans this year, luggage space is here at a premium

And now Mr B has a Me-410 to present, apologies for being so far off track Ced

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I blink and almost miss an entire Ced build. Nice work thus far.

Ah yes Beatties, sad loss. I always liked the (I'm sure it was) the large scale unskinned SE5a suspended from the ceiling amongst other delights.

Bill how did you get your MGF on the bus?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Page 3 before I notice this is under way and you're thrashing through it at a rate of knots Ced. Didn't even manage to get here before the wings are on!

Is it me or is he getting faster with age? :hmmm:

At page 3 consider yourself an early adopter.....

I've just discovered this one, and there appears to be no room at the back!

Interesting to watch a Finemolds build of an interesting design Ced.

Paying attention from here on!

Terry

PS Almost page 5 it seems!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Procopius said:

I told you about the time I had the misfortune to ride in a Chicago bus that had just been fumigated, right? Quite literally a shower of dead and dying roaches came cascading out of the ceiling on me. It was like a hellish fever dream.

On a related (though not related to modelling obviously) note:

Some years ago, my wife and I were returning from a holiday in Sri Lanka. Our Airbus turned onto the runway and started quivering as the pilot held it on the brakes whilst spooling up the engines for takeoff. Just as it lunged down the runway, the largest cockroach I have ever seen in my life fell onto the seat-back in front of me and started advancing menacingly in my direction rattling its wing case and gnashing its venom dripping fangs. Being a man of infinite resource, I instantly slipped off my fashionable footwear and began vigorously belabouring it whilst uttering many loud cries of revulsion and disgust, an action which caused a certain frisson amongst the more nervous travellers surrounding me and which (I now realise), with a less understanding cabin crew, might well have resulted in me being carried away in chains when we finally reached Heathrow. 

Craig. 

• Haha 8

23 minutes ago, keefr22 said:
1 hour ago, perdu said:

How did he get the MGF on the bus?

Through the door - obviously.

So is that like the way you get 4 elephants into a mini?

• Haha 5