Me410 A-1 - FineMolds 1/72

CedB

13 hours ago, Harley John said:

Likewise.

Sadly when the last stage leaves Dodge City for the boonies at 17:15 on a Saturday the quality of the pub doesn't really matter! Oh and that's the last bus of three on a Saturday - we live 18 miles from Aberdoom for gawds sake! 

Move to the country she said, more house for our money, she said, it'll be nice and quiet she said......

Oh dear! I know the area well, my mother was an Aberdonian, her sister married into the Donald family, of the Football club and theatres/cinemas.

Ian

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Harley John said:

Page 4? I'd only just found the FW and still to finish the flying boat saga! I'm going to get a Tardis to do the timey wimey thing and fast forward and get to the first page of your next build before you even start on  it!

Nice work by the way on an interesting looking aircraft love the cockpit & crew, must get some of those nail art thingy's (for modelling purposes obvs!)

Thank you Doctor, see you there! :D 

(What else in the last 18 hours? Bill and Keith about the MGF… IS it plastic? Oooh! It's a Fidget eh? No need to apologise Bill, my threads are open house :) 

Then…)

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

German bombs were dark green (Schwarzgrün RLM 70/ yellow RLM 04 nose, I guess) and not black. I painted all bombs black as a kid, but that was clearly wrong and I didn't bother anyway then.

Thanks Ben - I'll get these right (although I'm not looking forward to the yellow nose) :) 

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well, all this talk of bus passes etc I still have a few years to go yet but my wife has a companion pass which allows her to travel in the local area with me or anyone else (she suffers severe mental illness and needs someone with her when travelling)

Great fast work on this one Ced.

I suggest a fine razor saw for the delicate cutting of the clear part.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - delicate indeed! (See below) :) 

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Bless your heart. And yes they will, I can just feel it in my water. 🤣

Thanks Johnny - no posts of rough exhaust covers (yet) so I think we're safe :) 

15 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Great progress, I made one of these a few years back and have to say I had to fight it all the way. The fuselage halves didn't line up properly, the engine nacelles were a very poor fit and needed lots of filler and trimming and the clear parts were also a difficult fit. I have to say that the end result was very pleasing though even if the engine nacelles look to be way too big.

Keep up the good work, it encourage me to break another one of these from my stash.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan :) Having read your post on questions and seen the problems you had I can only think they re-moulded. Mine seems to be fine (famous last words) apart from the step thing on the fuselage which I've sorted this morning (see below).

14 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

I blink and almost miss an entire Ced build. Nice work thus far.

Ah yes Beatties, sad loss. I always liked the (I'm sure it was) the large scale unskinned SE5a suspended from the ceiling amongst other delights.

Bill how did you get your MGF on the bus?

Cheers Tomo :) That's started something… How do you get two whales in a… oh no, wait, doesn't work if you read it :doh:

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

At page 3 consider yourself an early adopter.....

I've just discovered this one, and there appears to be no room at the back!

Interesting to watch a Finemolds build of an interesting design Ced.

Paying attention from here on!

Terry

PS Almost page 5 it seems!

Welcome Terry! :) 

13 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

On a related (though not related to modelling obviously) note:

Some years ago, my wife and I were returning from a holiday in Sri Lanka. Our Airbus turned onto the runway and started quivering as the pilot held it on the brakes whilst spooling up the engines for takeoff. Just as it lunged down the runway, the largest cockroach I have ever seen in my life fell onto the seat-back in front of me and started advancing menacingly in my direction rattling its wing case and gnashing its venom dripping fangs. Being a man of infinite resource, I instantly slipped off my fashionable footwear and began vigorously belabouring it whilst uttering many loud cries of revulsion and disgust, an action which caused a certain frisson amongst the more nervous travellers surrounding me and which (I now realise), with a less understanding cabin crew, might well have resulted in me being carried away in chains when we finally reached Heathrow. 

Craig. 

Nice work Craig! Have you considered a career in pest control? You might need some more shoes :D

Ian and Keith about buses - we've just been 'upgraded from single deckers every 10 minutes to double deckers every 20. 

'They' say it's the same capacity and matches demand better.

We shall see!

Spent most of the morning on the 'phone.

I applied for my state pension back in September and have heard nothing despite the fact that my 'date' is January 6th.

Then I got a letter from the bank asking me to fill out a form and send it back to Leicester. My bank is in Wakefield (eh oop!)

Is this a fraud? Has someone highjacked my pension?

The bank say no, it was an error by one of their 'associates'. Fine.

Call the pensions people. You know you're in for a wait when the recorded message suggests 'you might want to call back later'.

Not me, I'm in the queue, have free calls and I'm retired so I waited…and waited for 45 minutes (while catching up on BM).

Sorted. On its way - hooray!

I've also arranged to get the hard drive in my 'new' second-hand iMac upgraded to a SSD so I may go quiet tomorrow.

Who said thank goodness - own up! :D 

Anyway, some progress.

Bombs. Separate fins that fit nicely but would get knocked while drying so I've done one side:

49350165961_c2d424e56c_z.jpg

Now then, that step thing:

49350174091_f0ae8543bd_z.jpg

The canopy is proud on the higher side but nice on the lower:

49350168661_56efc6a095_n.jpg 49350377372_fa63651f2a_n.jpg

…so I chopped off the higher side (you'll see it later).

The nose fit might be caused by my not having the floor quite low enough:

49349739188_f396b6da28_z.jpg

…but with a bit of sanding on the front of the floor it now fits nicely:

49350207871_1ab7bce5da_z.jpg

Time to cut out the lower bit then:

49350454417_217034d762_z.jpg

Note that this is only required if you're posing the doors open.

Nose on with Formula 560:

49350602467_8120c3bf37_z.jpg

When that's dry I can assemble the canopy ready for masking.

• Like 20

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I applied for my state pension back in September and have heard nothing despite the fact that my 'date' is January 6th.

Just got my Forces pension through after about 2 months after applying.

Been arguing for about 8 months so far trying to get a private pension released - filled in exactly the same forms on at least three occasions and have to get a bunch of documentation notarized every time I send them in and they keep asking me for documentation I can only obtain in the UK.   Called their "help" line on numerous occasions and their reps are as dumb as :poop:and don't even know what forms I'm sending them and have no idea how to help me with the "you've left the UK so we're keeping your money" issue.

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Craig! Have you considered a career in pest control? You might need some more shoes :D

:rofl2:

nice result on your step mod there Ced.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Nice work on the canopy Ced - I'm getting some commentary in quick cos by the time I've perused a few threads in BM Ced's probably scratch built a Spruce Goose.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Been arguing for about 8 months so far trying to get a private pension released - filled in exactly the same forms on at least three occasions and have to get a bunch of documentation notarized every time I send them in and they keep asking me for documentation I can only obtain in the UK.

Gents as a civil servant I confirm beyond any reasonable doubt and certainty (death and taxes ... and Government Bureaucracy) that what the Government giveth, the Government taketh away ... You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment ...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

that what the Government giveth, the Government taketh away ... You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment ...

As an ex-civil servant I'll comment - you're dead right (and it's only after you're dead that they'll stop - I hope....) they're a bunch of thieving tightwads.

I heard some stories today of how badly our 'government' treats our armed forces from my son in laws recent experiences, but I'll get banned for being political if I repeat them.... :rant:

K

• Sad 6

Crikey Ced, you're certainly knocking them out recently. Still not found the RFI for the Sunderland and here you are two planes later! The Calypso is coming on by the way, not too far from decal application. 😁 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hamden said:

Coming together nicely, soon be ready for the paint shop!

Roger

Not long now, thanks Roger :) 

20 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice progress Ced, with surgery and all! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

17 hours ago, hendie said:

Been arguing for about 8 months so far trying to get a private pension released - filled in exactly the same forms on at least three occasions and have to get a bunch of documentation notarized every time I send them in and they keep asking me for documentation I can only obtain in the UK.   Called their "help" line on numerous occasions and their reps are as dumb as :poop:and don't even know what forms I'm sending them and have no idea how to help me with the "you've left the UK so we're keeping your money" issue.

:rofl2:

nice result on your step mod there Ced.

Thanks hendie - I hope you get the pension sorted soon! :) 

16 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Nice work on the canopy Ced - I'm getting some commentary in quick cos by the time I've perused a few threads in BM Ced's probably scratch built a Spruce Goose.

Gents as a civil servant I confirm beyond any reasonable doubt and certainty (death and taxes ... and Government Bureaucracy) that what the Government giveth, the Government taketh away ... You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment ...

:rofl2: Thanks Tomo.

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

As an ex-civil servant I'll comment - you're dead right (and it's only after you're dead that they'll stop - I hope....) they're a bunch of thieving tightwads.

I heard some stories today of how badly our 'government' treats our armed forces from my son in laws recent experiences, but I'll get banned for being political if I repeat them.... :rant:

K

sorry to hear that Keith - I hope you get things sorted too :) 

13 hours ago, HP42 said:

Crikey Ced, you're certainly knocking them out recently. Still not found the RFI for the Sunderland and here you are two planes later! The Calypso is coming on by the way, not too far from decal application. 😁 

(Ahem) Yes, thanks Phil :)

(See, I'm getting better, not a fnaar in sight!)

Are you WiPing the Calypso somewhere? Photos needed!

At any moment I'm expecting a call from the man who's going to change the HDD in my iMac to a SSD. Exciting! (Sad man)

Canopy bits have been glued together prior to masking:

49354797878_ab916194b3_z.jpg

Nice fit once you get things aligned.

I've just eased that bit out after seeing the photo on the big screen.

Other fins on the bombs:

49354798628_13392b0eba_z.jpg

Counterbalance weights and radiators fitted both sides:

49355140093_5cc66dc68f_z.jpg

Fiddly, especially cleaning up the weights - let alone trying to glue them straight.

Tailwheel doors:

49355592111_3a82cac038_z.jpg

Hmmm. They're cleaned up but I'm too shaky to fit them at the moment. Later.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

Hmmm. They're cleaned up but I'm too shaky to fit them at the moment. Later.

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

:D  

Ciao

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Pensions - done all the paperwork, corrected all their (Civil Service) paperwork, corrected all their paperwork again. I wait with bated breath for Feb 1st to see what actually happens.

Models - that canopy’s looking good.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

Blue Tack

:D  

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - too small, too small etc :D 

They're in now and, although not perfect, they'll be fine with a bit of filler and sanding:

49356424416_9a04812acd_z.jpg

5 hours ago, perdu said:

I said I wouldn't but, seam lines...

…have been attended to and the shiny bit is TET down the seam. It looks bad 'cos of the paint (he said). 

Keep an eye on me Bill, you know I need it! :) 

3 hours ago, Avereda said:

Pensions - done all the paperwork, corrected all their (Civil Service) paperwork, corrected all their paperwork again. I wait with bated breath for Feb 1st to see what actually happens.

Models - that canopy’s looking good.

Thanks John :) 

I've also sprayed some bits:

49356489378_b9f9537942_z.jpg

Did I read somewhere that you can paint yellow tips, dip the ends in some masking fluid to get a good ring and spray the rest?

Or did I dream it?

• Like 14

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

You can certainly spray the ends then wrap a piece of masking tape around them.

Low tech.

I know that works!

Ian

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Me too!

just done it so me three dammit! four! (you beat me by a millisecond!)

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Or did I dream it?

dream!

the meniscus will be problematic

Edited by hendie
  • Thanks 1

I  must say I agree with Alan's meniscus caution Ced - not sure that dipping your tip is the short cut that it sounds.

As for:

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

You can certainly spray the ends then wrap a piece of masking tape around them.

It'll likely cut off your circulation and the end will turn blue...

• Haha 10