Me410 A-1 - FineMolds 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, CedB said:

or is this some kind of artistic licence?

I would leave them off even when they were in the kit. It was constructed as a destroyer, really not reliable at all  and the production was stopped very soon. Some  fast bombers were built, but I guess no dive bombing with them. Although as above said the high command were all bonkers and I would not be suprised if they had put dive brakes even on zeppelins or helicopters.

Cheers

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

I think I somehow missed a complete Ced build.......Must have been looking the other way.   Anyways.  Spotted this one.  After all; what’s one missed game in a whole season?

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

There was an FW build??

cant....keep.....up......

Adrian

Not to worry Steve and Adrian, you didn't miss much! :) 

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I would think they’re dive brakes. The Luftwaffe higher-ups were bonkers about all aircraft being capable of dive bombing. I’m sure someone who knows about these odd things beyond my 1940 interest bubble will be along shortly.

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

I would leave them off even when they were in the kit. It was constructed as a destroyer, really not reliable at all  and the production was stopped very soon. Some  fast bombers were built, but I guess no dive bombing with them. Although as above said the high command were all bonkers and I would not be suprised if they had put dive brakes even on zeppelins or helicopters.

Cheers

Dive brakes, yes… thanks Heather and Ben :) 

They are nicely moulded closed on the wing and they'd be very thin if I tried to scratch them.

I did find a film about the 210/410 here that says "…the clam type bomb bay doors made the aircraft so unstable when open that only a crew bent on self-destruction would open them when flying”. Crikey.

She does appear in the 'Wings of the Luftwaffe' Destroyer episode and you can see the brakes operating here:

23 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Oi, hang on a minute, I haven't finished reading the last one! :dog:

Not to worry John, you haven't missed much :)

All I've done is test some fits and painted the internals:

49327985896_f182e2f0be_z.jpg

Out tonight, more tomorrow :) 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, hendie said:

sheesh... builds in fast forward speed and has a social life!

I think it's called "retirement", but I'm not too sure... :hmmm:

:rofl:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ciao

I'm retired, build glacially slowly and have no friends, so Ced's is different from mine....!!

I dunno, I'm away for a night, come back and he's off again - somebody pinch his tools for a few weeks to give us all a breather..!!

• Haha 11

19 hours ago, hendie said:

sheesh... builds in fast forward speed and has a social life!

:rofl2:

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Ciao

Yep, retirement :) I can apply for my bus pass tomorrow too!

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm retired, build glacially slowly and have no friends, so Ced's is different from mine....!!

I dunno, I'm away for a night, come back and he's off again - somebody pinch his tools for a few weeks to give us all a breather..!!

No friends Keith, don't believe that :) 

16 hours ago, giemme said:

He's probably got a tool for that too...

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Interior detailing.

Should I use the decals or spot my own? One of the dotty things that came with the 'nail art brush set' might be good for dotting dials?

49332164231_ea56b74fd5_z.jpg

I decided to try the decals for the side panels:

49332659472_21c20af87b_z.jpg

…which were settled with MicroSol. Bit of dotting on the i/p and the radio panel:

49332065163_b4bb13eef9_z.jpg

The bomb bay guns were painted, holding it in the 'Steve Stand':

49332930752_e1cda5249c_z.jpg

…and we're ready for close up:

49332746561_e66f340ab8_z.jpg

49332284713_a39b9b863f_z.jpg

But wait, no crew? How could I forget them? That'll teach me to do a wheels down.

I thought I had a pre-painted pilot but he turned out to be man-spreading and won't fit. I also found some PJ pilots so they've been cleaned up and given a coat of Ratskin Flesh:

49332803821_a08e12c879_z.jpg

I also found some 1/48 Hurricane belts I'd forgotten I had. Now in the appropriate kit box :doh:

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

That all looks quite good from here Ced.

A very neat office sir.

Finished by the weekend?

Simon.

Thanks Simon - no, not this weekend :) 

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Wonderful job on the interiors, Ced! :clap:

The decals for the side panels look very effective, and conformed really well :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, yes, pleased with them :) 

Crew painted and test fitted:

49334012612_c6f482955a_z.jpg

Not too bad. The observer had to take his boots off… with his feet still in them :o

They're in now, with their arms fitted:

49333767643_ae83588bb9_z.jpg

I used 'Roket Hot' to glue those in with a CA applicator. Good stuff, you just need to be careful not to… Gaaaaahhhhhh!

49333674793_4634115566_z.jpg

Knock it over. Rats.

I managed to mop it up with kitchen towel folded in four and dabbed with a stick. Only got some on my fingers :( 

It had splashed on the other side of the fuselage though:

49333721363_b7a2ab148b_z.jpg

I got most of it off with Debonder:

49334187541_d6766c5469_z.jpg

I'll leave it, and the bench, to thoroughly dry before proceeding.

I don't want to get stuck!

• Like 3
  • Sad 16

Thanks Adrian :) Vinnie Jones? Ha! He’s not usually an observer!

I should add that the glue mishap could have been avoided if I’d taken more care of the Roket bottle. 
When I came to use it today the nozzle was glued into the cap and when I forced it open the whole top came off. 
‘That’s OK,’ I thought ‘I can dip and applicator into the bottle’. 

You know the rest... :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 1/4/2020 at 11:53 AM, AdrianMF said:

There was an FW build??

cant....keep.....up......

Adrian

All a bit dizzying isn’t it, especially on top of the Christmas excess. I need to retire just to catch up.

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Been there, done that. Tops jamming is nature's way of telling you to buy more superglue!

I have been waiting for these words of wisdom. My current pot of super glue is in a right state. 

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Avereda said:

All a bit dizzying isn’t it, especially on top of the Christmas excess. I need to retire just to catch up.

Thanks John :) 

45 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Been there, done that. Tops jamming is nature's way of telling you to buy more superglue!

True. Luckily I have some more 'thin' :) 

18 minutes ago, FPDPenguin said:

I have been waiting for these words of wisdom. My current pot of super glue is in a right state. 

See above. Time to buy some more! :) I think it 'goes off' as well so I buy the little triple tube packs of 'normal'. I wonder if they do the same for thin and gel?

Anyway, I wanted to close up so I scraped off most of the CA with my 'dread to think what it's used for in real life but great for levelling' #9 blade, went over it with MicroMesh and stuck the fuselage halves together.

While I was in a glueing mood I also joined the wings:

49336482377_aeb0e955bc_z.jpg

Nice join with very few seams, but I'll need to fit the little gaps in the cockpit:

49336485732_9d55b687a4_z.jpg

Nice detail inside the wheel wells:

49336490247_8da9905483_z.jpg

Which of course won't be seen as I'm going my usual wheels up so I need to fit the doors:

49335819108_1f2362d55d_z.jpg

Where is part #13? Rats. I'll need to search for that.

In the morning.

That said the doors fit well:

49335866828_aa35e3ca32_z.jpg

So well in fact that there's very little opportunity to glue them in.

I'll need some support.

If I can find the other one…

(Tension. I like tension. Or do I?)

• Like 12

Rapid progress as usual Mr  B, next weekend then is it?

That ‘ Steve Stand’ looks interesting, I’m looking for a replacement for my mini-vice at the moment.

John

PS. Retired! Don’t talk to me about retired. I have more to do now than when I was gainfully employed. I’ve spent most of the last year, when it wasn’t too hot or wet, clearing about an acre of ground next to our pond which a kind(?) local farmer gave to us. A friend is arriving today with a chainsaw to chop up the last of the fallen trees.

• Like 4

Thanks John :)

The stand is from Sphere Products - their figure painting stand - recommended by Fritag.

It's… oooh… mmmm… sorry, just browsing, they do some nice stuff; I have their aircraft stands and MicroSol/Set bottle stand and… well, have a look and get your wallet out!

Clearing an acre? Crikey. That'll be nice for the horses, or are you planning a small extension? :D 

Sorry to hear of the miss hap but you appear to have sorted it out l? Looking good all buttoned up, and the cockpit detail is very nice.

is tyts the figure stand you got at Telford? I’ve get to use the small aircraft stand I got as the first model I did after getting it was too big! Just a good reason to start building a few fighters. The stands are very nice though.

Rb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

The ground’s too boggy for the horses, SWMBO wants to make a ‘ swamp ‘ garden. There has been talk of a post retirement cottage but I think ( hope ) that was said was in jest. :dog:

John

Boggy? How about a bog diving school? Or you could hold a Bog Snorkelling competition?

Google it - no reason why I should be the only one to have wasted ten minutes of my life :D

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Sorry to hear of the miss hap but you appear to have sorted it out l? Looking good all buttoned up, and the cockpit detail is very nice.

is tyts the figure stand you got at Telford? I’ve get to use the small aircraft stand I got as the first model I did after getting it was too big! Just a good reason to start building a few fighters. The stands are very nice though.

Rb

No worries Rob, sorted it will be :)

Yep, the figure stand is the one I bought at Telford and a nice chat with the Sphere chaps.

I think you'll like the stand you bought, once you get back to something single engined!

42 minutes ago, giemme said:

Progressing at a fast pace, Ced :clap:

Remember the blue tack trick for that U/C door... :winkgrin:

Ciao

Rats, I forgot the trick - sticking a bit of Tak inside the bay and gently pushing it into place - that was it wasn't it?

Cockpit seam trimmed with Swann-Morton fine blades (it was a step) and filled with Vallejo:

49338163261_9087a3b7bc_z.jpg

Now cleaned up. I'll re-paint when the other bits are fitted.

Note that I've got the same weird step on the bit over the bulkhead - I think we agreed it was a 'feature'.

Couldn't find the missing door despite a search around and in the bin.

Regular readers will remember I had to rescue a spinner from a bag in the bin during my Lysander build so I now make sure that any bags are empty before I throw them away.

I guess it must have dropped off during packing or something. Oh well, spilt milk and all that…

I put some Plasticard in the gap for the missing door:

49338354737_47454e1ca3_z.jpg

The hole was for a piece of wire to hold it up while glueing. Don't do this, use Giorgio's BluTak method (if you remember!)

Some bits of scrap around the other:

49338135536_b602db1f98_z.jpg

Carefully trimmed those so that the kit door sits nicely. That was then glued in.

Mix up some Milliput and blob it in:

49337733458_0c1ff06857_z.jpg

… then scraped off the excess and shaped it with a wet spatula:

49337746208_47477eb58b_z.jpg

I've forgotten how good this stuff is, really nice to work with.

I'll let that all dry and come back later.

• Like 10