Me410 A-1 - FineMolds 1/72

CedB

While I had all the RLM paint out I thought 'Why not do another Luftwaffe subject' and, as I only have one other in the stash, this is it:

49322623722_ee309076e6_z.jpg

I remember liking the one with the big cannon when I was a lad. This isn't it. Oh well…

There's a great walk around of the Cosford example here.

Luft46 posted an RFI sadly now hit by the PB mess-up and Duncan B seemed to have lots of problems with his and there's a thread on questions regarding the kit here which I've had a quick read of.

All that said I shall press ahead… gulp.

Shots of the bits in the box:

49322581372_a14d6cc93d_z.jpg

I don't seem to have the problem posted by some - the fuselage halves fit well:

49322585922_786edea65e_z.jpg

49322588352_10a5c377d4_z.jpg

49321885793_601a633770_z.jpg

49322594147_c9e33926e6_z.jpg

49321894498_4fd4d4882f_z.jpg

Looks fine to me (famous last words)

Of course if anything is wrong I can always fill out the complaints form:

49321895718_1fd92f7e64.jpg

Ah, so :D 

• Like 14
  • Haha 16

I've always had a soft spot for the Me210 family, on account of it being a huge boondoggle and one (of several) of Willi Messerschmitt's ill-considered vanity projects.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I've always had a soft spot for the Me210 family, on account of it being a huge boondoggle and one (of several) of Willi Messerschmitt's ill-considered vanity projects.

are You including everything other than the 109 as a Ill considered project, because that would be right.... though let’s face fact that’s no bad thing! Lets all be glad of his vanity in fact, and that they didn’t pair the 109 with the HE112

sorry off topic

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rob85 said:

are You including everything other than the 109 as a Ill considered project, because that would be right.... though let’s face fact that’s no bad thing! Lets all be glad of his vanity in fact, and that they didn’t pair the 109 with the HE112

sorry off topic

He was immensely disliked by the Luftwaffe leadership for his difficulty to work with; most notoriously, he lobbied long and hard to continue expending resources developing the useless Me209 in parallel with the Me262, despite repeatedly being told to stop. Tank at Focke-Wulf was considered to be much easier to work with. 

The Bf108, I'm told, was fairly nice to fly, however. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

He was immensely disliked by the Luftwaffe leadership for his difficulty to work with; most notoriously, he lobbied long and hard to continue expending resources developing the useless Me209 in parallel with the Me262, despite repeatedly being told to stop. Tank at Focke-Wulf was considered to be much easier to work with. 

The Bf108, I'm told, was fairly nice to fly, however. 

He did more to hinder the Luftwaffe than the RAF at some points! FW, hienkel and junkers should have both been given more time and focus (And better direction) with Germany’s (very precious) resources.... but again, fortunately they weren’t! So they lost, ha! 

but yes the 108 is also a good and rather nice aircraft so he has that string to his bow as well. Had the pleasure of seeing one taxi and fly from duxford while there, very nice.

Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I have been getting more interested in this aircraft over the last year so I'm in.

Martian 👽

I thought he just started it today.  Am I really that far behind?

• Haha 4

Oh nice, another CedB master piece in the making :popcorn: I've got one hiding in the "I'm workin on it" pile. A couple of things you might be interested in, being a bit off in the head :banghead: I decided to build up paint and install the landing gear before gluing the wing halves together, on the other hand if you are going to do a wheels up..........the other thing is I found the nacelle fit to be rather nasty so I trimmed all the alignment goodies off and added a couple of tabs to make it easier to adjust things.

49325358471_000ce887a7_b.jpg

49324875793_6253f7dd67_b.jpg

49325358656_7fa3aee3bf_b.jpg

49325358521_49c8b4cf83_b.jpg

:cheers:

Edited by nsmekanik
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hendie said:

I thought he just started it today.  Am I really that far behind?

To clarify for the Member for Over Here, I have had the Matchbox kit in the stash for some while now and it's call to get built has become ever stronger over the last year.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

I'm in, just got comfortable in the Fw thread and had to dash over here hoping there's a seat left!

Looking forward to another Ced masterpiece

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome John L, Rob, PC, Sturmovik, Benedikt, Simon, Giorgio, Hendie, Martian, Steve, Roger and Andre - good to see you all :) 

Thanks to Rob and PC for the background on the designer - interesting :) 

7 hours ago, nsmekanik said:

Oh nice, another CedB master piece in the making :popcorn: I've got one hiding in the "I'm workin on it" pile. A couple of things you might be interested in, being a bit off in the head :banghead: I decided to build up paint and install the landing gear before gluing the wing halves together, on the other hand if you are going to do a wheels up..........the other thing is I found the nacelle fit to be rather nasty so I trimmed all the alignment goodies off and added a couple of tabs to make it easier to adjust things.

[snip pics]

49 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Having read that thread about the kit, you are clearly a man without fear Ced. May I watch from behind the settee, Dr. Who style?

Craig. 

Thanks nsmekanik and Dandie, although I can't promise a masterpiece - too kind! 

But you had me worried (as did a re-read of the 'Questions' thread) so I've test-fitted some of the potential problem areas:

49326862872_f56efc22ff_z.jpg

Nacelles - fine.

With this unusual flash and the nubs removed:

49326864062_9ed1d82343_z.jpg

…the wing fit is pretty good:

49326879482_35652e55b8_n.jpg 49326184803_e83c507535_n.jpg

…as is the nose:

49326236898_5068786190_z.jpg

Looks like I got lucky with the molding - phew.

I've also made the box art my desktop background but look:

49322623722_ee309076e6_w.jpg

I think I'll model it like that with the bombs coming out so that you can see the cannons and the weird internal window but airbrakes?

Can't see them in any photos (not surprising though?)

They're not in the kit - did it have them or is this some kind of artistic licence?

A late arrival as I post:

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

Not watching

I have no knowledge of such thing so I won't be telling you what I'd do...

😉

Awww Bill, what will I do without you here watching? i need your expertise and experience matey!

I know it's the wrong period for you but perhaps you could hang around at the bar and chip in when needed?

Pretty please?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

airbrakes?

I would think they’re dive brakes. The Luftwaffe higher-ups were bonkers about all aircraft being capable of dive bombing. I’m sure someone who knows about these odd things beyond my 1940 interest bubble will be along shortly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1