Lakenheath 2018 F-15E colour scheme?

Neilly105

Hi All,

I'm just about to start building the Tamiya 1/32 F-15E Strike Eagle, for a friend. I'm not really into modern stuff so my knowledge of colour schemes is very limited and I don't really want to buy a whole load of reference books for this one off. Looking at the colour call out for the airframe and to me it looks far to dark for a 2018 machine. Looks okay for a pre-2010 F-15E, though. I'm judging the colours on pictures I've taken over the years. So, the question is - what would be the right colour for the overall airframe?

Cheers,

Neil

Yes any colour you want as long as its Gunship Grey,

I can recommend our walkaround if you want to see how they look;

I can also recommend Vallejo dark grey primer as a fairly decent match.

Julien

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

My experience has been that Vallejo’s colour matching leaves much to be desired. That’s a major reason I sold mine off and switched to MRP.

Like any paint company there will always be some off. 

As has already been said, the aircraft are all FS36118 Gunship Grey. It will appear lighter in some photos because of a combination of lighting and older paint fading, particularly if it has been deployed into the desert sun for a while.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:47 PM, Julien said:

Like any paint company there will always be some off. 

True, but a large percentage of the Vallejo I purchased (over 100 different colours) were more than just "off" - they were utterly wrong.  Other people have remarked on this as well.  There were multiple cases of the exact same paint colour being sold in different bottles, labeled as different colours.

Edited by NorthBayKid

Hi Guys,

I agree with several comments - I understand about lighting etc (I do aviation photography), however, I have stood next to and photographed close up F-15's. I think if you're building a factory fresh F-15E then the original gunship grey is the right colour. I feel an older F-15E will have a more faded grey colour. Maybe even ocean grey and then do the weathering, which will darken the grey, anyway. Some interesting points raised, which I'll take into account. WW2 stuff is so much easier. lol

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers,

Neil 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neilly105 said:

Hi Guys,

I agree with several comments - I understand about lighting etc (I do aviation photography), however, I have stood next to and photographed close up F-15's. I think if you're building a factory fresh F-15E then the original gunship grey is the right colour. I feel an older F-15E will have a more faded grey colour. Maybe even ocean grey and then do the weathering, which will darken the grey, anyway. Some interesting points raised, which I'll take into account. WW2 stuff is so much easier. lol

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers,

Neil 

When they used the colour on OA-37s in Korea it used to go veryight and chalky

Julien

On 1/8/2020 at 8:30 PM, Hook said:

Hi!

Nice picture. However, it looks like contrast has been enhanced in post-processing. It even looks alittle bit over-sharpened.

Both techniques pronounce the weathering effects, so they might be a little more subtle on the bird itself.

cheers,

Markus

On 15/01/2020 at 07:18, Delayar said:

Hi!

Nice picture. However, it looks like contrast has been enhanced in post-processing. It even looks alittle bit over-sharpened.

Both techniques pronounce the weathering effects, so they might be a little more subtle on the bird itself.

cheers,

Markus

Quite possibly. When I had a look at the top of one there was some wear up there but no where near that amount.

e58.JPG&key=b6dd159b28ea5c5450cd499553d4##

Interesting to note quite a bit of wear on leading edges, and some touched up in lighter paint.

e16.JPG&key=47cb4c79d2d6d88fdc4630eeb191

e37.JPG&key=6aa2622200d45c884da58f22f4a4