1/72nd Minicraft B-24M Liberator Mk.VIII, Glamour Girl, 356 Sqn India 1945

Hiya Folks,

The old Academy/Minicraft B-24M Liberator kit is getting as rare as hen`s teeth these days but luckily I managed to find a couple for a decent price on fleabay and here is the first,...... finished using DK Decals as `Glamour Girl' of 356 Sqn based in SEAC at the end of WW2. Many of the late arrivals retained their standard RAF markings and didn`t receive SEAC markings and this was one of them, although it did receive very nice nose art and the units distinctive formation marking on the rudders. Studying photos of the real aircraft,.... unlike most B-24M`s this particular aircraft did not have the glazed waist positions and simplified bulged cockpit windows usually seen on the variant, but instead had the older open waist position with a door fitted plus bubble bulged cockpit windows,......hopefully I have not missed too much,.....although the anti glare panel in front of the cockpit on my model may be too long? The model was finished using a combination of brush painting and rattle can and here is the WIP plus photos of the real aircraft;

And here is the model;

DSCF7118-NEW.jpg

DSCF7099.jpg

DSCF7114-NEW.jpg

DSCF7101-NEW.jpg

DSCF7107-NEW.jpg

DSCF7111-NEW.jpg

DSCF7112-NEW.jpg

DSCF7102-NEW.jpg

DSCF7105-NEW.jpg

DSCF7110-NEW.jpg

DSCF7118-NEW.jpg

DSCF7103-NEW.jpg

DSCF7108-NEW.jpg

DSCF7115-NEW.jpg

DSCF7114-NEW.jpg

So that is the first for 2020,........ a bit of a slog but we got there,...... although I`m no fan of the way that Minicraft split their turrets resulting in a seam where there should not be one,..... something that Trumpeter/Hobbyboss have replicated with their big 1/32nd scale kits,.... even when they were forced to re mould the nose turret to make it clear and not clouded!!

All the best,

Tony 

• Like 74

Absolutely brilliant looking Liberator.  There's some very convincing exhaust trails on the wings and the metal finish looks superb.  What paint did you use for it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Absolutely brilliant looking Liberator.  There's some very convincing exhaust trails on the wings and the metal finish looks superb.  What paint did you use for it?

Thanks,...... the silver paint was mainly Tamiya rattle can Bare Metal Silver but with panels masked off and brush painted using Humbrol enamel metalcote colours too,...... the exhaust and other streaks on the wings are done using MiG Pigment powders brushed on,..... using various photos of real Liberators as reference

4 minutes ago, Rob K. said:

Like the paintwork and the scheme. Superb!!!👍

Cheers Rob.. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Spectacular! Used to live not far from where an RAAF Liberator is undergoing a painstaking restoration, see https://www.b24australia.org.au/home for more details. Would love to build an RAAF B-24, but I doubt I have the room for it! 

Cheers Simon,...... I`ve seen the work going into the Aussie Lib,...... it will look brilliant when they have finished. I have a RAAF Lib planned at some stage,..... just need the time to do it,..... and I may just lay off bare metal for a while now!!

All the best mate,

Tony

• Like 1

Great looking Liberator!!!

Which reminds me I must have one of these Academy B24s somewhere deep down in my stash. May have to pull it out one of these days 🙂

Peter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pedro1 said:

Great looking Liberator!!!

Which reminds me I must have one of these Academy B24s somewhere deep down in my stash. May have to pull it out one of these days 🙂

Peter

Thanks Peter,.... you`ll have to dig it out, they are nice kits. 

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Sublime! If that's a suitable adjective for a bomber…

Top tier modelling, Tony!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Cheers Joachim,..... so glad you like it mate.

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

That's another cracker, Tony. Well done.

Thanks Vinnie,....... cheers mate.

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Thanks bud.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Top job all round, as always Tony!

Edge

Cheers Edge,..... I wouldn`t say `always',.... it nearly hit the wall at one point LOL!!

Thank you all for your kind remarks,

Cheers

Tony

Great looking Lib Tony, natural metal and those late war roundels look good an any aircraft, but really seem to suit this one. Lovely NMF too!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Viking said:

Great looking Lib Tony, natural metal and those late war roundels look good an any aircraft, but really seem to suit this one. Lovely NMF too!

Cheers

John

Cheers John,...... tbh the paintwork was a bit of a pain and the model ended up being sanded and repainted a few times. Must agree that the Lib does look nice in nmf and roundels.

1 hour ago, Ilan said:

Very nicely done! 

Cheers mate.

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic, Tony!

Thanks Cookenbacher,......glad you like it.

• Like 1

She's a beaut! If you want to take a perfect model up one more notch, you might dirty up the fins and horizontal stabilizers just a bit, as the Lib was notorious for the inboard engines dirtying up those areas. I can't remember seeing a B-24 you have built that I didn't like! Way to start 2020 out in style!

Mike

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

She's a beaut! If you want to take a perfect model up one more notch, you might dirty up the fins and horizontal stabilizers just a bit, as the Lib was notorious for the inboard engines dirtying up those areas. I can't remember seeing a B-24 you have built that I didn't like! Way to start 2020 out in style!

Mike

Cheers Mike,...... I was going to dirty up the lower fins,.....as I`ve done with others,.. but the real aircraft in the pics didn`t appear to be too bad,......it doesn`t show up very well but I did mildly dirty them. Glad you like them mate,...... lets hope 2020 is better than 2019 eh mate?

2 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Very impressive.

Thank you. 

1 minute ago, JOCKNEY said:

Congratulations Tony

Looks the business mate.

cheers Pat

Cheers Pat,....... very kind of you mate,..... hope you are keeping OK?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Pat,....... very kind of you mate,..... hope you are keeping OK?

Very well thanks mate. A very happy and healthy New Year !

I'll have to PM you for tips on how to do this Natural Metal Finish magic, that you experts make to look so easy 

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

Glad you slogged it through Tony as it's superb. 300 Group. Have you build a 223 Sqn B-24 before in RAF night bomber scheme?

Thanks mate,....... I have not built a 100 Group Liberator for well over 20 years and I do intend to build one this year hopefully to go with my Fortress III.

6 hours ago, russ c said:

Superb Liberator there Tony beautiful finish and great subject

Cheers Russ,..... nice of you to say so mate.

• Thanks 1