Tamiya white - spraying

stomper666

Hello

I'm wanting to spray the undersides of my Airfix 1/48 Boulton Paul Defiant in the RAF two tone white/black scheme of 1939/40 era.

Any tips of spraying white and black Tamiya acrylics this way.  I've read to put 30% red in the black to make it look a little less harsh.  Any similar tips on the white?  Looking for a Matt finish.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome! 

I can only give you my own humble opinion on this but ive never put red into black to make it less harsh. Im currently building the nightfighter version of the kit and will be adding blue and grey to black to give it some tonal variance. 

As for the white, thin XF1 50/50 with your thinner of choice and it should work out flat. I wouldn't add anything into it

Probably not much help but there you go 🙂 

Hi Mike.

As Antb said, there is not much you can do to white. Personally,  I go 60/40 paint to thinner, but that may just be me. I would advise priming with a light grey, and if you want tonal variation splotch a pre-shade of black or darker geys before the white.

I would also recommend applying the white in a number of thin coats rather than one thick one.

Good luck

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

thanks for the feedback.  This is only the second kit I’ve started on since I was a teenager 30 odd years ago.  The other is a Tamiya 1/48 Brewster Buffalo.  Have an Iwata Neo so it’s all about learning how to mask and spray etc.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Spoiler