captured aircraft photo collection

72modeler

Found this while looking for something else, totally unrelated! An amazing collection of Axis and Soviet aircraft captured by the allies as well as allied aircraft captured by the Axis nations. Some very neat modeling project possibilities. Sad that many of the captured Axis aircraft were scrapped, even several that were earmarked for preservation. I hope you enjoy looking at them. I'm not sure if the B5N2 Kate with the sea search radar was the one that was scrapped postwar or is in storage with the NASM.

Mike

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/394/WTF.aspx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

You find the coolest stuff, Mike.  

The Akutan Zero photos are most helpful, she was my planned rationalization for buying a Tamiya A6M.  I hear it's an excellent kit.

(Aside: for as long as I can remember, there was a stack of LS Dinahs sitting in unloved in a recently defunct local hobby shop.  Before they went under I adopted one at half-price, it was a fun build and there was at least one example that fell into the fell clutches of the Yank, so I could work it into my collection.  It now languishes for lack of TAIC 10 decalcomania. And from laziness.  🙄)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

You find the coolest stuff, Mike.  

Well, I should be building something from my ridiculously large stash instead, but since I'm retired, and since I have learned and gotten so  much from the great modelers and enthusiasts here on BM, I enjoy surfing cyberspace every day and repaying their generosity. Glad you and others have enjoyed my meager contributions. My modeling buddies here  and @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @RidgeRunner  are constantly giving me flak to get something built! Seeing the high quality of work on this site is not exactly an incentive, let me tell you! Happy new year!

Mike

• Sad 1