Special Hobby Super Mystere B2 (J52-engine) 'FAH 2002' Fuerza Aerea Hondurena 1/72 - 15th June - tackling the Shafrirs again!

Sorry chaps and Chapesses, but I've been a bit quiet on the Super Mystere front while I try to catch up with myself. It is a symptom of my over-enthusiasm for new builds, finding new subjects almost every day. :). I am now close to getting the last part-built Mustang and the MiG done (just washes and final builds for both). Meanwhile nothing has happened on the SMB2 front except for a little boring filling of the odd gap and then, today, these arrived :)

Eduard bits

Naturally they were expensive but for this build I made an exception and splashed out. They look superb and should hang nicely on her :).

Martin

..... back to the cave, Flory, Tamiya Weathering sticks, my trusty silver pencil in hand ........ ;)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

I couldn't resist it ..... I got out the sanders ......

294796FA-3108-4861-A2BC-D5C288C26FA4

7DFE9128-F7A3-41A6-B4E7-5453E039E842

I'm not finished yet but wanted to post a little progress. As you can see, she doesn't need too much filler. I used a combination (I haave no reason why) of Squadron Fine White Putty and Perfect Plastic Putty (which is new to me). The PPP will need more application as it tends to sink in to the gaps after wiping with a damp cloth. A learning process I guess. Slowly slowly ........

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Progress is progress Martin.

Stuart

True, Stuart :)

3 hours ago, Ignacio said:

Top work on that model Martin!

It looks like a very good kit despite the fit problems.

Really like the improvement on the elevators.

Best regards

Ignacio 

Thanks Ignacio. The fit issue is really around the nose area and, as I said, it might have been my fault. Having said that I understand that @Sky Keg had similar issues. The kit is actually a delight to put together and, apart from the elevators, is well engineered. Its another Latin for my shelves :)

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

great work so far!

a rarely seen plane, even less so the Sa'ar variant!!

:) :)

Thanks mate. It is certainly one of my favourite early(ish) jets. 

Martin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ignacio said:

Judging by the photo, the fuselage halves match the intake part , so I thing the gap in the middle joint is a fault of the kit itself.

What you think?

I agree, Ignacio. It is the conclusion I came to. I even checked the fit of the forward windscreen and it fits perfectly, reinforcing the theory :).

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Not a great day today. After a lull I thought I'd set about the speed brakes. I initially left them closed (the easy option) but then, having discovered that in FAH service the SOPs mandated that they were always left open on the ground, I had to attempt to cut out the brakes with the fuselage closed and try my best to make the Eduard inserts that I bought fit. Of course, there was no way they were going to work but in my stuborness I ventured on. The net result is that I have trashed the build in my fumbled atempts to insert the housing, or at least trying to represent one with the bits I had. I failed and so the part-built kit is on the shelf and I am sulking kicking myself. 

So, not to be outdone, I will restart with a second box :). An expensive exercise but I really want this one to be right......... Let me get back to where I left off and the normal service will resume :).....

Martin

• Sad 5

50 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all!

Not a great day today. After a lull I thought I'd set about the speed brakes. I initially left them closed (the easy option) but then, having discovered that in FAH service the SOPs mandated that they were always left open on the ground, I had to attempt to cut out the brakes with the fuselage closed and try my best to make the Eduard inserts that I bought fit. Of course, there was no way they were going to work but in my stuborness I ventured on. The net result is that I have trashed the build in my fumbled atempts to insert the housing, or at least trying to represent one with the bits I had. I failed and so the part-built kit is on the shelf and I am sulking kicking myself. 

So, not to be outdone, I will restart with a second box :). An expensive exercise but I really want this one to be right......... Let me get back to where I left off and the normal service will resume :).....

Martin

I'm in to salvage now :). I rescued the cockpit, forward intake and jet pipe. The wings have also come away cleanly. That'll save me a bit of time ;). Meanwhile I can get that latest Mustang moved along :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I failed and so the part-built kit is on the shelf and I am sulking kicking myself. 

It's a bugger when that happens but it happens. Pick yourself up, give a big sigh, a quick shrug and crack on.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is indeed a shame - she was looking good and I've always liked the looks of the Super Mystere. Best of luck with the replacement and hopefully the salvaged parts will make things easier!

Regards,

Jason

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Such a shame Martin, can you salvage the tailplane?

I've trashed many a kit trying to get things just right, I know the feeling.

Yes, mate. That is safely kept in the kit box with the other salvaged bits :)

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

That is indeed a shame - she was looking good and I've always liked the looks of the Super Mystere. Best of luck with the replacement and hopefully the salvaged parts will make things easier!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason. I was so pleased with progress on her. However, on balance I think it is the right decision. Onwards, upwards, etc, etc....

Martin

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:59 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Sorry chaps and Chapesses, but I've been a bit quiet on the Super Mystere front while I try to catch up with myself. It is a symptom of my over-enthusiasm for new builds, finding new subjects almost every day. :). I am now close to getting the last part-built Mustang and the MiG done (just washes and final builds for both). Meanwhile nothing has happened on the SMB2 front except for a little boring filling of the odd gap and then, today, these arrived :)

Eduard bits

Naturally they were expensive but for this build I made an exception and splashed out. They look superb and should hang nicely on her :).

Martin

..... back to the cave, Flory, Tamiya Weathering sticks, my trusty silver pencil in hand ........ ;)

Hi Martin 

Sorry to correct you but not Zunni rocket pod as those are for 4 shots of 5" and they are supposed´to be 7 shot but 2.75" FFAR same from Bell UH-1 choppers, Cessna A-37, Cessna O-2

Cheers

Armando

Really, Armando? The LAU-3 for the 2.75" isnt the same as in this photo, is it? If that is what I need I will have to get searching again :(. Thank you. 

Martin

FAH20xxp

I found some Armando, in the Special Hobby AH-1 kit :). So, if anyone would like a cheap Special Hobby AH-1Q/S, but without the two smaller rocket pods, just drop me a PM.

Martin

Hi all!

No.2 is getting close to where I left off with No.1.....

EE108EC6-A6BD-49C5-B4B3-C384D47275BE

Yesterday I fiddled and swore as I tried to fit incey-wincey bits of sharp PE in to the speed brake housings. They certainly looked impressive when assembled but looked woeful when I matched them up to the kit :(. So, after so deliberration I pulled it all out and when for a compromise. I know it isnt strictly accurate but I've gone for a Plasticard blanking plate and then added some electrical wire to represent the infamous hydraulic lines. I'm pleased with it. Next I'll get this sanded and checked and then I'll add the wings and windscreen. That'll take me to the point where I left off before......  :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 7

Nice recovery Martin, tbh, what you've gone through with this kit is exactly the sort of thing I used to go through - which is why the stash is the size it is!

Glad you're progressing this one now.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Well I just caught up on this one Martin. You are certainly one to persevere!

I also like the Super Mystere, so will follow with interest.

Terry

And you'd be very welcome, Terry :). You'll see that I managed to salvage a fair bit from the trashed build, including the modified fin :). All that made the recovery more swift. :) 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner