This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
fatfingers

Dracula - BBC 1

Anyone else watching this? 

Me and Mrs fatfingers are rather enjoying it. Some good twists and turns and a refreshing take on the original story. Beeb have certainly made a better job of it than they did with War Of The Worlds!

Regards 

Steve 

I thought about it but have given it a miss after the War of the Worlds,i might give it a watch sometime....

I've enjoyed the first two episodes. Some gut-churning bits but enthralling all the same.

I watched the first episode. Now hands up at the start. I don’t like the horror genre. It’s far too silly (nod to Monty Python). How ever it is the festive period and Mrs T wanted the company. 
so my 2 p worth. It’s well filmed and produced. Can’t work out if it’s comedy or horror. Acting is decent. Still think I lost 90 minutes modelling time forever. Story line so predictable I thought the script had been posted to me last year. Some scenes hilarious the wolves and nuns for example. Scary- not a bit. Too busy giggling at the camp ness of it all. Won’t be bothering with the rest

ps noted BBC web site singing their own praises as usual

The wolves were in episode 2 last night :shrug:

Posted (edited)

Watched ep1 so far...I'm not convinced that I like it. Parts of it were great, but the switches in tone were a bit jarring at times. Will watch part 2 before I write it off. 

Full disclosure...I am a huge horror movie fan; especially vampires. 

EDIT

Watched most of part 2.  Not going to bother with the last episode. 

Edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

Some scenes hilarious the wolves and nuns for example. Scary- not a bit. Too busy giggling at the camp ness of it all. Won’t be bothering with the rest

Thanks John,that's enough for me i won't bother with it,have the original '77 bbc one with Louis Jourdan on dvd so i'll stick with that...

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

The wolves were in episode 2 last night :shrug:

Ratch

i was thinking of when Dracula tricks his way into the convent and in the chapel sets the wovles onto the nuns. It was a bit campy slapstick. I thought it was episode one but did pop in with coffee etc for Mrs T during episode2 so might have time shifted there. 

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Thanks John,that's enough for me i won't bother with it,have the original '77 bbc one with Louis Jourdan on dvd so i'll stick with that...

Vince. I did say I was no way a horror aficionado. Indeed I find all horror movies tosh. So please give it a try as my views ain’t worth anything really being as biased as I am ;)

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Vince. I did say I was no way a horror aficionado. Indeed I find all horror movies tosh. So please give it a try as my views ain’t worth anything really being as biased as I am ;)

You're just the sort of person i listen to when giving their opinion about something when it comes to films,you are not biased in any way but some that love horror films are over critical or think CGI is the best thing since sliced bread and others think those slasher movies from the 80's are the best...

Edited by Vince1159

Just watched all three episodes. Really enjoyed it, good bit of humour, not overdone in the gore dept and really liked that Dracula  chappie.

Graham

Only watched episode 1 so far, not at all into horror films but thought it was very well done and will watch the other 2 recorded deffo

I looked at this new "adaptation" and thought it may be time to be less sceptical about the BBC and its continual re telling  of classic stories to suit the modern audience, after all this was being done by Gatiss and Moffat , who's "Who" and Sherlock I loved.

I've read the novel and seen various screen adaptations as I'm very much a horror movie buff.

I enjoyed the first and second episodes finding the story engaging, the atmosphere compelling and the Count himself, magnificent.

The story was well told and although different very enjoyable, the BBC had actually spent some money on the production and the gore was handled with style.

Until episode three.

At this point the BBC woke barrier exploded as the plot changed so drastically I could barley believe I was watching the same story.

After enduring the last episode in stunned open mouthed disbelief until the credits finished, I felt as if I'd been conned. I just cannot understand

why the story changed so drastically. It was so bad it was amazing.

I can honestly say that the BBC have ruined three of my person faves. War of the Worlds, A Christmas Carol  and this.

its the last time i'll bother with any drama on the BBC.  Liscence fee? They should pay us.

As my girlfriend said; Dracula was so disillusioned with the future having encountered the millennial chavs that even he wanted to die 😂

I watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them.  Sure I questioned whether it was meant to be horror or dark comedy but I thought it was pretty decent compared with some of the stuff that the BBC has been giving us recently. That is until the very last scene of episode 2 - “oh no” I thought, “this does’t bode well” and how right I was.

Episode 3 cancelled out all that was good about episodes 1 and 2.  It went into woke overdrive and story became utter nonsense and drivel.

Cheers,

Nigel

There was one good line in the third episode where Dracula congratulates the woman on her house of treasures and she dismisses him. We think we know what poverty is today, but we have no idea. Poverty (or claiming it) has become a political weapon. We don't see starving children without shoes or infant mortality like the Victorians witnessed. The false target of whatever % of average earnings cannot be achieved. 

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

There was one good line in the third episode where Dracula congratulates the woman on her house of treasures and she dismisses him. We think we know what poverty is today, but we have no idea. Poverty (or claiming it) has become a political weapon. We don't see starving children without shoes or infant mortality like the Victorians witnessed. The false target of whatever % of average earnings cannot be achieved. 

Yes I noted that too, and I agree that ‘poverty’ however much it gets used as a political weapon, is nowhere near as bad as it once was. But if that is the BBC’s idea of a ‘dump’ then they need to get about a bit more.  Suggests that the SJWs at the BBC are so cosseted in their middle class, comfortable cacoons that they have no idea of what the real world is really like.

Cheers,

Nigel 

I started watching parts one and two on Netflix last night. Reminded me of John Carpenters style of horror movies and thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

I started watching parts one and two on Netflix last night. Reminded me of John Carpenters style of horror movies and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Maybe you spoke too soon - watch episode 3.

Cheers,

Nigel

parts 1 and 2 are fabulous, but best idea is to throw a blanket over 3 and ignore completely. Its an hour and a half of your life y'd never get back.

Genuinely enjoyed it but agree that the 3rd ep. was not up to scratch with 1 & 2.  Best line in any programme I've seen recently?  "I'm undead, not unreasonable"!! 

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 5:43 PM, Graham T said:

Genuinely enjoyed it but agree that the 3rd ep. was not up to scratch with 1 & 2.  Best line in any programme I've seen recently?  "I'm undead, not unreasonable"!! 

I quite liked; "Honestly. do I look like someone who can't see his reflection?" 😁

Thoroughly enjoyed this, great blend of humour and gore. I don't find these things scary as my brain keeps telling me it's not real*, but I did enjoy the subversion of the usual tropes. Sister Agatha was outstanding, and the screen lit up whenever Drac' was on it.

Steve.

* MR James and Korean horror on the other hand...🥶

Well, I have read the Bram Stoker original and, although the style in which it is written initially makes it a little difficult to get to grips with, it is overall a beautifully crafted piece of work.

Unfortunately, this "adaptation" was not ,in my view, an adaptation for the better. The final part was, tedious in the extreme and I actually found it difficult to sit through largely because my attention started to wander. Certainly nothing like as enjoyable as the 1977 version featuring Louis Jourdan as Count Dracula. Of course, nobody could ever best the late Christopher Lee as Dracula. With his towering height, handsome, yet sinister features and, the trademark cloak, he simply oozed menace and, pure evil!😂

On A slightly different note, I have to say that I was totally underwhelmed by the seriously over hyped adaptation of War of the Worlds. Don't know how the BBC managed it.  It just didn't work and, I'm sorry to say it wasn't a patch on the original story. The major set pieces ( the opening of the cylinder, appearance of the first Martian, the battle between the Thunder Child and her sacrifice in destroying two of them) were reduced to, well nothing really.

I think the biggest issue I had was with the characters. They were,to me anyway, more irritating than convincing. The original format told through the eyes of the narrator actually worked far better.  At least in the opinion of this reviewer! Three hours of my life wasted

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Moffat and Gatiss compressed the Sherlock “first two series fantastic, then lose it completely” pattern into the same number of episodes. I did though like the “average modern house is regal luxury by historical standards” dialogue as funnily enough this is a subject I regularly bore anyone unfortunate enough to be in earshot with.  

The compulsory Gatiss cameo was spectacularly, woefully misjudged, superfluous and self-indulgent. One wonders what his fellow cast members really thought of it. 

Oh and I really liked the Christmas Carol adaptation despite the Aussie accent creeping in.

I'm going to give up watching BBC drama department productions, the most recent have all been awful.  My daughter recommended Dracula after watching the first episode, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Bad mistake!  I wasn't all that keen on the first episode, I thought the second was a joke and gave up on the third.  Gatiss isn't bad when he's writing on his own, I really enjoyed 'Crooked House' from some years ago and 'The Tractate Middoth' wasn't bad, but it seems when he teams up with Moffat disaster ensues.  Never again!

Gotta disagree, I'm afraid. I've very much enjoyed Dracula, and contrary to some opinions had no problem at all with the the third episode. Given how much has been said about the quality of previous "straight" Draculas, why would we need yet another one? Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes is never likely to be bettered as a "period" version, but it's easily watchable today in its entirety at the click of a few buttons. It doesn't stop me enjoying "Sherlock" very much as well...

best,

M.