Pocher 1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca - New Build & Member

Ha ha ha that’s a riot. Not really but you have to retain a sense of humor doing this build I think.

Build OOB or detail after detail.

Really comes down to, Will you be happy with OOB or wish you had done a little more.

Myself I love doing the detail, and the challenges. I probably won’t go totally museum piece.

I am contemplating a convertible working roof though. I know NUTS !  See if I can work something out when I get there.

This is a great blog for guidance and help. I believe I did get missing parts from Koo when I ordered the DVD.  I had some missing in my kit.

Codger or other savvy Builders,

On and off I have been looking for the spark plugs that accompanied the Sedanca in the box or the bags, with no luck.

Further, I did purchase MMC’s spark plugs, they are very detailed, I like them.

Today I discovered that the Sedanca plugs are molded on the engine.

QUESTION...is it worthwhile to drill out the Pocher blob spark plugs, and replace them with the MMC ones?

Secondly, would you do this surgery if you had this option.

I am just wondering.

Thanks!

If you want to use KLG plugs you could paint them pink... Even old style ceramic plugs are fairly white, I think, they discolour to cream as the oil mist and dirt gets baked on. Even with a weathered engine, it shows it's well maintained if it's got new plugs.

Ron, 

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

I agree with what you wrote. I Am dedicated to make this build to be as remarkable as possible, I am enjoying this model, and I love seeing it happen.

Luckily, Marvin had a Distributor Cap, saving me the angst of having to manufacture one, I even made my plans for creating one. 

I also feel fortunate to own this Pocher RR, and that I am able to purchase the MMC aftermarket parts.

On a different note, I won four auctions on Ebay for: 1937 Packard Coupe (Entex), 1937 Packard Formal Sedan (Entex), 1930’s Dusenberg (Entex) and Bugatti Royale Coupe (Entex). That is enough model buying for now.

JO NZ - I have decided to go ahead and remove the molded on Spark Plugs, replacing them with the MMC Plugs.

Also thank you for the information and you lone vote to replace them.

Finally, when this Sedanca is finished I do not want to have regrets about added details, so I will see how much I can do, with Codgers valuable assistance and his remarkable build.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings,

All is well, however, I had a few situations in regards to the MMC Spark Plugs and the Cylinder Head.

First, I tried to drill out the molded in spark plugs so I could use the MMC plugs, it sort of looked ok, but not to the level that I am trying to build, so, I found a cylinder head replacement from a business in Germany. I painted the molded in spark plugs.

Second, I installed the rocker type arms and springs on top of the head. The strength of the springs caused the whole assembly to develop a significant list.

I had to take apart all of the rocker arms etc. of course breaking a bunch of them.

I went online and found ‘tree’ no. 8 at the same store and ordered the ‘tree’.

It arrived in 6 days.

So now I am moving on with the build, still not sure if I am installing all the arms and springs correctly, we shall see.

Pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread. I have a box or 2 and a garage find (in worse than terrible state) in stock. I will be following this build to pick and take notes.

• 1 month later...

Looking good Barry. Question though: shouldn't you be starting a build thread of your own? Surely we would like to have multiple threads of cars like these. 

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Barry said:

spacer.png

Barry, you have begun a very neat, well built out of box model. The problem with building by the Pocher instructions and parts as supplied is that you end up with a model of a 'Pocher' and not a real Rolls. Certainly a nice thing to look at but if accuracy is important to you, you must go further. In your photo, the frame is sitting very high off the suspension - this due to the extreme arch of the springs front and rear. This will make the whole car perch in the air like this nice stock example by Paul Koo:

425-pasted-Graphic.png

If you wished to alter this situation, you can either de-arch the supplied springs or buy the ModelMotorcar stainless steel PE spring set. This last makes the springs more horizontal thus lowering the body. Constant trial fitting of the body will show how the tire better fits the fender opening. Here is mine with the MMC springs and note that the rear frame rail is below the tire compared to yours which is approximately level or slightly above:

247-pasted-Graphic.png

I illustrate all this in my thread which is pinned atop this site section. Things like lowering the firewall, shimming the suspension and setting the body back lead to a level hood and louvers and a generally lower, more accurate Rolls body. Of course you may like it just as it is.

And please, ask questions in my thread if you wish and definitely start your own as Jeroen suggests.

• Like 1

Thank you for your helpful comments. I will put together a thread and discuss my philosophy. I’ve never done anything like this before and I have not got into the mind of Pocher, I’ve got pistons that go up and down but can’t be seen, I’ve got a fully detailed brake linkage including all the shoes which will not be visible when the body is on, but then I know it’s all there.
I need a brain adjustment I think!

i will look into the height points you have made, I have read your previous posts. The angle of my shot seems to exaggerate the height of the rear.
barry

• Like 1