Pocher 1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca - New Build & Member

Codger,

I will get assistance to help upload my pictures this weekend. Very frustrating not being able to share my pics.

I removed the generator so I could the extra oil lines on both side of the block.

Like you I have decided to add as much of the extra ‘plumbing’ that the JRH dvd that indicates how to construct these extras. I will build them with styrene, not metal as I am not clear how to work with it.

You and Wayne are my inspiration.

• Like 1

Detailjunkie,

The styrene was not the best choice to make the additional oil line. It’s to hard to work with for those small little parts. I will use metal on the other side of the block, hope it’s easier.

OK, here's what I did in Postimage. I logged into my account and selected a picture then, I selected/clicked on the share button. A menu comes up with 8 choices, you want "direct link". You then click on the direct link clipboard on the right side of the line and it copies the link. You should have both the Postimage website open on one page tab in your internet browser and your thread open on another page tab. Click on the insert image from URL box like at the bottom here in the forum and then right click and paste it. The link will show up in the box and then click on post to thread. BTW this is the painted body of my WIP Monza. I just picked a picture at random to remember how it worked directly from the hosting site. Now, mind you, I had already resized the picture down to the 480 x 640 thumbnail size before doing this and I'm assuming that you know how to do it and that you should be doing it as a matter of practice when posting any pictures to the forum to keep the size to a minimum for the forum admin.

I hope that helps and it's not too confusing.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I use solder for the lines, in 1 mm size. I got the idea from the brilliant Codger.

For the tubing that the extra oil lines go through, I use 2mm plastic tubing.

For the Hex Nuts I use Model Motor Cars, size 2 mm brass, they come in a package of 20.

I will continue using plastic tubing as I found a mini tool that allows me to cut the plastic evenly. I make the tubing length at 2.3 mm.

I think that the finished lines will look good

I might add that I have aluminum tubing in 1, 2, 2.5, 3 mm’s. I will use this material a bit later in the build.

I forgot to mention that I painted the plastic in ‘airframe aluminum’.

1 hour ago, detailjunkie said:

Sounds good Brian.

Did you see the latest JRH update?

Another change to the carburetor and air cleaner. Pump to.

I like the style Codger has done so that’s what I’m sticking with.

All those levers and lines look like they should be a riot.

If you both get photos posted, help will be easier.

C

You’re welcome. Just a suggestion here for you guys. Get a variety of different sizes of plastic tubing, rods, flat sheets of styrene in different thicknesses, brass, aluminum tubing and rods, solder, wiring etc, you get the idea. When building a Pocher kit you’re going to want to add details and most likely correct a mistake or two. So, having a variety of supplies at hand will keep you working and perhaps help you formulate a solution to a problem a lot quicker than if you have to go to a store or place an order online. This, probably is the best piece of advice that, I can give you right now. An assortment of nuts, bolts in couple sizes can also be helpful. The main size of nut and bolts that all Pochers use is 2mm. This is the diameter of the threaded bolt shaft and ID of the nut. The bolt head and nut size is 3mm and having, at minimum, a pair of this size nut drivers is very helpful when trying to tighten the bolt and holding the corresponding nut. A set of small screwdrivers with flat head and Phillips heads are necessary and a digital micrometer is almost a must have tool, as well. There’s a lot of other small tools that are also very helpful and I could probably take a few pictures of all the tools that I have which would probably only go to illustrate that, I might be a little crazy but, I have used all of them frequently. It’s up to you to determine what you need and how much money you want to spend. I’m not suggesting that you have to run out and buy everything before you get started but, I imagine that, at some point you might acquire some if not most of them. I’m admittedly a bit of a tool nut so, take it for what it’s worth. 
Right now, you guys are starting to detail the engine and firewall and then the chassis so some scratch building supplies are a good starting point to pick up if, you haven’t already done so. Ok, I’ll get off my soapbox for now and forgive me if you already knew all this. I didn’t know any of this when I started mine because, I thought that, everything I would need was in the kit like, every other model that I had ever built in my life, wrong! As Codger has probably already mentioned these models are 40 years old and even though they have a high parts count they are not as sophisticated as a good new Tamiya kit. 

• Like 1

If I may...whilst a plethora of tubes/bolts/nuts/screws/pipes etc. etc. etc. can be used to add many levels of intricate detail and 'realism' to any model...there is no substitute for having a well thought out plan.

This one thing can save you untold stress and...in many cases...a lot of money!

I speak as one who goes to great lengths in search of that illusive goal of realism in miniature. Trust me...all the fixtures/fittings and tools in the world won't give you what you desire without first drawing up a 'map' of where you want to go and...how to get there.

Regards

Ron

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What Ron said! Now that you’re overloaded with information, take a deep breath and start by making your plan as Ron said and use the Koo dvd and your reference material to help do that. Write it all down because plans change. Supplies and materials and the tools will help you get to where you need to go. Codger is your primary resource for the Rolls. Ron is a master at painting and creating realism with a brush and oils. The rest of us have a variety of experience in our own areas with Pochers.

Thank you Wayne and Silver 911,

I have amassed tools from my Dad and recently from MMC, just about all of them.

I purchased various tubes/rods, and screws, nuts and bolts in a few sizes.

Own Dremels, and other power tools.

Wayne, I would love to see a few pictures of your multitude of modeling tools, if that is something you are inclined to do.

I recently experienced an attempt to create the extra oil line on the left side of the engine.

I did not do what my Dad would say, ‘carefully measure before cutting’ when I finished the line was all wonky and totally awful. I would not even take pictures of it, it was that bad

Today I removed the line and will start over, using my miter (mini) and micrometer.

Wasted four hours on this expedition, no short cuts on these kits, nor do I want any.

I will use aluminum instead of plastic rods.

Detailjunkie, how goes the extra lines and so forth?

Tomorrow pictures!

I am grateful

Two of the best tools to have in your arsenal are a drill stand and basic milling machine...invaluable to have at your disposal.

A few sets of micro drill bits...and a 'Tap and Die' set will pay dividends also...especially when working with brass and aluminium.

Also get yourself a couple of sets of micro 'slide fit' tubes...very handy to have for when you can't find the exact diameter of tube you need.

Ron

• Like 1

Go ahead and take pictures of your failures. We all have them and by showing where things went wrong you can get better advice on how to correct them and make them better. I never learned/remembered anything long lasting from a success but, I sure learned a lot from my failures. This goes for everything in my experience, modeling included. If you have read my posts, you probably noticed  that, I show everything, warts and all. I’m not some super modeler and, I want to show that, I make a lot of mistakes and, I learn from them. I also get a lot of help and advice which, in my opinion, is the point of the forum! It makes my posts longer than other guys that, just show perfectly assembled parts and models and then quickly move on to the next thing. This is fine if it’s the (46th) 1/24 scale Tamiya Shelby Cobra on the forum.

I think that, the Pocher I am building is rare enough that, it’s probably a little more interesting to show, a more in depth build profile, including the mistakes. I’d really like to be of some help to the next guy that attempts one so, that they will know what to look out for. 
Anyway, that’s my philosophy for the way I post and show the good and the bad. 

Wayne,

I’ll plan to take a picture of my aborted ‘Extra Fuel Line‘.

It was constructed of solder for the horizontal line and 2.5 mm of styrene and 2 mm   
brass hex nuts.

I have changed the styrene to 2 mm aluminum tube and 1 mm brass rod.

As always, Thank You.

By the way, I have been carefully absorbing your Mercedes build with note taking for my upcoming plans.

Codgers build has been given complete study of his RR as well, with copious notes in my journal. Your work has helped me to construct this build with confidence.

54 minutes ago, brian davey said:

Codger,

What did you make the ‘gasket’ out of?

I would like to do the same out of card stock paper, then colour it with brewed tea.

.005" styrene. That's scale for a .040" head gasket.

Because you are choosing to add a lot of scratch built details to your Rolls, you can see the advantages of having some supplies on hand. I have sheets of 0.005” , 0.010”, 0.020”, 0.030” and 0.040” sheet styrene on hand. I used it for the gas tank sides, building the new floor and building up the seat back and sides, turning the convertible top into solid body panels and a variety of other uses. The point is that, when I bought it, I didn’t know that, I would be using it for all those different things but, it was handy to have on hand.

As an example, you could probably cut a Coke can up and flatten it out and use it for the head gasket. I would bet that it’s close to the 0.005” thickness. This is just an idea of how you can use stuff that you find around the house to make scratch built parts. Pascal is a good example of someone who uses all kinds of different things to make parts for his builds.

Wayne, thank you for the various sizes for plastic. I intend to pick up those sizes at my local hobby establishment.

In regards to posting my pictures...

I go through all of your and Codgers steps.

After clicking the insert url at the bottom of the last post in my thread, I get a box at the top of the screen saying insert from url, and nothing happens, I then type in the Postimage address for my pictures and still nothing.

I think that I need to go to Apple, I just wanted you both to know that I tried repeatedly with nothing happening, and that you did not waste you time with offering directions.