Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Cookenbacher

Shimmer, Shine, Digital & Splinter GB

Recommended Posts

There are so many paints, materials and techniques available now, I think it might be fun to have a Metal Finish Group Build. It would be a great way to learn and share NMF techniques with fellow Britmodellers. Any subject would be eligible, as long as it has a significant amount of bare metal involved - NMF aircraft, chromed out cars, rusty ships, robots, armoured figures, cool modern art statues in Chicago. Silver lacquered/doped and high speed silver aircraft are also included as the preparation and finishing techniques are similar to those required for NMF's.

 

We'll also include Digital, Lozenge and Splinter camo schemes in this one (thanks to @trickyrich for the suggestion) to broaden appeal and encourage folks to try something new!

 

Basically, if a scheme has seemed out of reach, this is the Group Build to give it a try, and we'll all offer encouragement along the way.

 

We tried this one a few years ago and didn't make it past the epic bun fight, but there still seems to be interest in the subject and even more paint types have hit the modelling market since then.

 

@Hockeyboy76 has already volunteered to co-host and come up with pilot names if you need them.

 

Here's the list:

1. @franky boy - James

2. @Corsairfoxfouruncle - Dennis

3. @Hockeyboy76 - H (Co-Host)

4. @Cookenbacher - Cookie (Host)

5. @JOCKNEY - Pat

6. @Col.

7. @zebra

8. @dnl42

9. @Arniec - Arnold

10. @CliffB - Cliff

11. @Hewy - Glynn

12. @vppelt68 - V-P

13. @John Laidlaw

14. @Roger Newsome

15. @Valkyrie

16. @Back in the Saddle

17. @nimrod54

18. @stevej60

19. @Avereda

20. @exdraken

21. @MarkSH

22. @reini

23. @trickyrich co-co-host

24. @Tony Oliver

25. @Terry1954

26. @helios16v

27. @Wez

28. @modelling minion

29. @DaveJL

30. @Beazer

31. @Romeo Alpha Yankee

32. @Pin

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Cookenbacher, lets get a list going, @Col., @JOCKNEY, @nimrod54, @Rabbit Leader, @trickyrich & @Enzo Matrix all like to be volunteered or volun-told. Just watch Col and his “bums”

@Hewy is a good candidate too, especially with his practice in the Mustang GB. 

What say you chaps?

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea. I love an NMF

 

Please put me on the list. 
 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Sorry not a fan of the ...BEAN ! 😉... I wonder because your using a Single type of base color if it couldn't be considered a STGB ? What say you @Enzo Matrix ? 
 

BTW Go ahead and add me Cookie. I have a lot of natural metal needing aircraft. Including a corsair. Sally was a rebuilt corsair flown by the USMC maintenance unit on Espiritu Santo. 

 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/corsairs-in-wwii-nmf-t154545.html

 

http://luftwaffeinprofile.se/Book 9 progress.html

 

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Great idea. I love an NMF

 

Please put me on the list. 
 

James

Excellent, guess we should start a list then!

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry not a fan of the ...BEAN ! 😉... I wonder because your using a Single type of base color if it couldn't be considered a STGB ? What say you @Enzo Matrix ? 
 

BTW Go ahead and add me Cookie. I have a lot of natural metal needing aircraft. Including a corsair. Sally was a rebuilt corsair flown by the USMC maintenance unit on Espiritu Santo.

Ooooh, silver Corsair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to play hard to get....... but

 

I will need to have a really good look in the stash for something different and eclectic. 

 

Sign me up please !

 

cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye alright, go on then, one more GB won't hurt :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign me up! Love a metallic finish. Used to run scared from them but not any more. Choosing what to do will be the challenge but the first subjects that spring to mind are the NASA Super Guppy, some classic airliners, and things like Starfighters and Lightnings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the Saro Cloud had a NMF fuselage ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Col. said:

Aye alright, go on then, one more GB won't hurt :lol:

True Col, however when you add 'one' to the other 'twelve' or so, it soon becomes a much larger number!! 

8 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Does anyone know if the Saro Cloud had a NMF fuselage ?

I thought every Cloud has a Silver lining... boom boom !! 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks @Rabbit Leader

Haven't you got a year long GB to host ? :wicked:

cheers Pat

Thanks to @Hockeyboy76 I seem to, but please don't expect too much, I'm hoping to get a fair bit of help from the others as well. 

Cheers.. Dave  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you added your own build yet, vacform Spanish civil war AFV ?

I think you're off the hook mate, looks like a team effort for the mega GB !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JOCKNEY said:

Have you added your own build yet, vacform Spanish civil war AFV ?

Nope, I'm already back into the work routine and time is already getting away from me.

If / when I do it will be something from "Small Wars', 'North American Aviation' and / or "Yanks Abroad'. 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign me up!

 

I have a number of relevant kits in my stash. Hm, most are apparently 1/144, including a GRB-36 FICON, B-58 Hustler, DH.106 Comet 1, and others. But there a couple 1/48, including AT-6 Texan and P-51 Mustang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has always given me the creeps. But I want to try it. I haven't got a clue with what, but there will be something in my stash.

 

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes please Cookie.  Ironically, I find Alclad easier to use than many paints!

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I'm up for it , nowt wrong with a shiny finish

Glynn 

 

(I thought I'd sent this  Thursday,  but apparently it didn't send)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you accept brush painted enamel paint as metallic finish, you'll have me with you. V-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 3:07 PM, JOCKNEY said:

I was going to play hard to get....... but

 

I will need to have a really good look in the stash for something different and eclectic. 

 

Sign me up please !

 

cheers Pat

Looking forward to what you come up with Pat, although you ruined the thrill of the Group Build chase - next time I won't expect you to sign up until page two at least!

On 1/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, Col. said:

Aye alright, go on then, one more GB won't hurt :lol:

You won't even notice it Col.

On 1/2/2020 at 4:00 PM, zebra said:

Sign me up! Love a metallic finish. Used to run scared from them but not any more. Choosing what to do will be the challenge but the first subjects that spring to mind are the NASA Super Guppy, some classic airliners, and things like Starfighters and Lightnings

Very cool choices, and you're making me really hope this GB goes through, because think how the Gallery will look, all that metal.

On 1/2/2020 at 7:07 PM, dnl42 said:

Sign me up!

 

I have a number of relevant kits in my stash. Hm, most are apparently 1/144, including a GRB-36 FICON, B-58 Hustler, DH.106 Comet 1, and others. But there a couple 1/48, including AT-6 Texan and P-51 Mustang.

Oooh, B-36 fighter carrier...I mean build anything(s) you want on your list!

On 1/3/2020 at 6:57 AM, Arniec said:

It has always given me the creeps. But I want to try it. I haven't got a clue with what, but there will be something in my stash.

That's what this GB is for Arnold!

On 1/3/2020 at 11:36 AM, CliffB said:

Yes please Cookie.  Ironically, I find Alclad easier to use than many paints!

I think your Alclad advice and expertise will be in high demand for this one Cliff.

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yes I'm up for it , nowt wrong with a shiny finish

Glynn

Perfect, and if your current Mustang is any indication, we're in for a treat.

8 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

If you accept brush painted enamel paint as metallic finish, you'll have me with you. V-P

Of course, the more techniques represented the better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

If you accept brush painted enamel paint as metallic finish, you'll have me with you. V-P

Have you looked at the Mr Metal Color range? It produces an excellent result when brush painted and then buffed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must have been inspired by the meet-up - I've signed up for @Corsairfoxfouruncle's Corsair build, and now I'm going to throw my hat into the ring with this one. I love natural metal finishes, and am therefore a glutton for punishment. No idea which aircraft it'll be, but it will be an aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been involved in a group build before but have been biding my time for just the right subject to crop up.

Not having had great success with nmf, one build and gave up after that, this is just the thing I need.

Count me in please.

Roger.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Have you looked at the Mr Metal Color range? It produces an excellent result when brush painted and then buffed. 

Thanks, but too hi-tech and too modern for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks to all you new joiners for this GB, still need more names though to make the magic 30. I find volun-tolding people works wonders 😂 

 

Have you heard about the band Manhole?

I hear they’re a metal cover

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...