Shimmer, Shine, Digital & Splinter GB

Cookenbacher

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That appears to be a Canadair Sabre Mk.2 @MarkSH, which has the early slatted wing. IIRC the Revell kit is based on the longer chord 6-3 wing so is quite different. The photo above is most certainly in Bare Metal finish as were all (IMO) non camouflaged Canadian Sabres. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Cheers @Rabbit Leader The kit I have has slatted wings and replacement wingtips to allow shortening of the span. Otherwise, looking at the drawings in Warpaint #40 it looks to be close enough I scaled up the 1/72 drawings and reduced for 1/48 and the wings match the mk2 and 4 plan view.

Cheers,

Mark.

Ok, I’ll take your word for it Mark, however I was under the impression that this kit was closer to a Mk.6 (6-3 wing plus slats) rather than an earlier version. We’ve been crying out for an accurate 1/48 (and 1/72) early slatted wing Sabre for years and are yet to be convinced that the new Airfix kit will allow us this luxury. Anyway, this GB is all about the finish, so I apologise for dragging it elsewhere. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

@Rabbit Leader I agree that the wing chord is different but having looked at a couple of articles on the subject I do feel that the change in look is minimal, however I shall look for a different subject aircraft, there is a natural metal scheme supplied in the kit but its the pretty standard Korean Yellow banded type, I'll look around.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

I do apologise @MarkSH. The last thing I wanted to do was put you off building your preferred subject. The Canadians also operated Mk.5’s in NMF which is closey based to the F-86F-30. Perhaps you can still do a Canuck Sabre that way.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Welcome aboard Exdraken, reini and Mark!

@MarkSH, I have three Sabre kits and I'm hoping to get one near accurate build out of them, I have to re-learn all the wing minutiae every time I consider them.

Yes the simple solution, having now read up on the wings is to do the F-86F-40 that is represented in the Revell CL-13 kit, using the USAF Korean war example decals, that should be relatively controversy free, no doubt I'll be proven wrong on that score too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Cookenbacher, hey Cookie...strangely enough this subject has been raised in i thread of mine in the Nordic GB.........not that I'll ask you why you're not there!!! :whistle: Names have been taken! :D

Anyway I had this idea for sometime but not sure how to propose it, basically a Paint Job GB. As a most are aware I'm infamous for my complex masking/paint jobs and love the idea of a GB just for that, complex/unusual paint scheme. I have plans for a 1/32nd "Splinter MiG", an upgrade to my 1/48th version.

So I'm wondering what you think of adding or making sud-groups to this GB? NMF is the main but also include;

Splinter schemes

Digital Schemes

all have to be painted.....no decals jobs.

They may help get the additional numbers to ensure this GB gets up....................there again I maybe the only nutter that likes doing these schemes! 

• Like 1

I'd be up for having a go in this one @Cookenbacher. I've struggled with NMF finishes for years, and finally got round to doing one or two without too much angst and fear in the last year or so!

What's the timeline for this, do we get the whole of 2021, that would be cool 😁

A few ideas that I will think about for me:

1/72 NMF early saab Viggen - all those different shade anodised panels and flushed rivets.

1/72 NMF F-100D

1/72 EE Lightning

1/48 F-86D - Danish of course

1/48 TF-104G

The list could be endless!

Terry

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You can add me to the list of interested.  I've got a Hustler, Stratojet, or Super Sabre I could put together for this one.  Or if I'm feeling really ambitious, a couple Viggens in the stash.

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 2

I have a question for @Cookenbacher and @trickyrich. I was a little puzzled to see the theme extended to splinter and digital as I couldn't quite see the rationale. It felt a bit off the original theme, but am fine with it as it widens the scope I guess. So would this now include any paint finish or have I missed the point?

Terry

• Like 2

Hi @Terry1954. Adding splinter and digital schemes is a shameless ploy to get more votes. I'll change the subtitle to "Complex Schemes" or something like that. They do fit the otiginal spirit of the GB though: a scheme that is intimidating at first, but can turn out to be enjoyable, especially with encouragement from fellow Britmodellers. Maybe lozenge schemes should be added too, hmm.

• Haha 4

Just now, Cookenbacher said:

I'll change the subtitle to "Complex Schemes" or something like that.

Hi Cookie. Actually put like that I now get it. And the shameless ploy of course!

Lozenge would be an excellent one to add, and without getting too complex, German WWII mottle schemes would be interesting as well. They all fit the bill. 

I once (many years ago) drew out a pattern on the odel, and hand painted the lozenge scheme - I was young and enthusiastic and it looks great to me at the time. I suspect now it would look possitively comical!

Terry 

• Like 2

If I'm reading this right, any manner of shiny thing is acceptable right?

So an EE Lightning or a Super Sabre or even, dare I say it, a Mirage in NMF are acceptable in this GB?

If this is the case, colour me silver and add my name to the list!

Edited by Wez
speelung
  • Like 2

:hmmm:What's Complex enough, then? For example, most of the WW2 Luftwaffe bombers wore a splinter scheme. A piece of cake to paint in a model, too, compared to (say) a Viggen. Add German midwar dayfighters to the table: splinter scheme on upper surfaces, mottle on the sides. Yet that is one of the most modelled schemes in our hobby. Even I have a dozen of them. If that's regarded Complex, I'm fine with it :thumbsup:.

But I'm scared s***less of digital schemes - and yellow fuselage bands :rofl2:. V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/19/2020 at 3:23 AM, Terry1954 said:

Hi Cookie. Actually put like that I now get it. And the shameless ploy of course!

Lozenge would be an excellent one to add, and without getting too complex, German WWII mottle schemes would be interesting as well. They all fit the bill. 

I once (many years ago) drew out a pattern on the odel, and hand painted the lozenge scheme - I was young and enthusiastic and it looks great to me at the time. I suspect now it would look possitively comical!

Terry 

You're 100% right, this is a very shameless plug and way of trying to get a GB through. In recent years I've noticed it is much harder to get some of these new and interesting ideas for GB's in to the following years calendar much less even to the voting stage! Members just like their III & IV versions of the same GB all the time.

So a few years back I started to combine a few of these interesting smaller GB ideas into a larger over arching GB, and guess what it worked, and in some cases extremely well.

The original idea by Cookie is awesome and deserves a GB for sure.  Around this time chat in another GB started around Splinter schemes and generally complex camouflage schemes and I was trying to figure out how to build a GB from that idea to be appealing to lots of members. By chance I just happened to see Cookies GB thread and suggested maybe we combine forces and storm the beach's.....well end of year Bum Fight. :D

NMF finishes scare the willies out of me!! Hours and hours of masking is much more relaxing!

On 3/19/2020 at 3:28 AM, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:What's Complex enough, then? For example, most of the WW2 Luftwaffe bombers wore a splinter scheme. A piece of cake to paint in a model, too, compared to (say) a Viggen. Add German midwar dayfighters to the table: splinter scheme on upper surfaces, mottle on the sides. Yet that is one of the most modelled schemes in our hobby. Even I have a dozen of them. If that's regarded Complex, I'm fine with it :thumbsup:.

But I'm scared s***less of digital schemes - and yellow fuselage bands :rofl2:. V-P

I wouldn't say your standard Luftwaffe 2 colour splinter scheme, the 3 colour Condor Legion is getting there. Those crazy wiggly line or tiny dot Nightfighter ones would be fine (very shameless Nightfighter plug :D). WWI Lozenger scheme would be fine, masked and painted of course. 

All the modern variations of digital schemes, even with 2 colours the masking is quite involved to get it right. I reckon you could even go as far as those 2 colour tiger meet schemes, they look simple to do but the masking is very involved...trust me....and here's one I prepared earlier! 

DSCF4531-L.jpg

In this case other than the national markings/serial number and warning stencilling, everything else was masked and painted.

I would suggest to Cookie that the basic rules would be something like;

- freehand painted (brush or airbrush) 4 colours total, guess it depends on the complexity, up to the host (be happy to help Co-Host the camp side)

- painted using masks - 2 or more...trust me even 2 are a nightmare!

IMG_3971-L.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 10:22 AM, vppelt68 said:

I don´t know which one would be more difficult to paint; a "shimmer and shine" or a "splinter" Viggen!?

W.W.E.M.D? We all know the correct answer is do both for a comparison build :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think @trickyrich is feeling the pressure. He’s suddenly producing pictures of models and claiming “he is wot did it guv” 

We need some clarification from the esteemed members of the jury.

”Wot say you Sir’s?” @nimrod54@JOCKNEY, @Enzo Matrix, @Col., @modelling minion, El Presedinta @Rabbit Leader @Cookenbacher

• Haha 4