Shimmer, Shine, Digital & Splinter GB

Cookenbacher

Go on then Cookie, add me to the list. Anything to get away from @Hockeyboy76's reminders to use pink primer as a base under yellow paint, even if it is the best way to go. :lol:

I need to check through the stash first but I think that I may have a 1/72 boxing of Tamiya's F-84G Thunderjet. I have not had too much success with metal finishes so I hope that I can pick up some tips from this group build.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Welcome aboard everyone!

H, your voluntelling is really working.

While I’m on a roll, :poke:, @stevej60, @Caerbannog, @TEMPESTMK5, up for a giggle?

Wheres @Procopius hiding these days?

Just found this beauty in RFI 

@Cellarfrog really needs to join this GB and share his secrets. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

I do quite fancy a go at a P-47 though.

You could look around for a late “D” type or maybe an “N” ? If you do it in Post war colors there is some thought that these possibly were painted in Aluminum lacquer. Starting in the mid-late 1950’s the USAF started painting jet’s in the Aluminum Lacquer as well. All of that was done was to control corrosion. They found NMF didn't work so well without constant attention. Then there is pre-war aircraft such as the Curtiss Hawk 75 and Seversky P-35 that were highly polished NMF. The Seversky was the grandfather of the P-47. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You could look around for a late “D” type or maybe an “N” ? If you do it in Post war colors there is some thought that these possibly were painted in Aluminum lacquer. Starting in the mid-late 1950’s the USAF started painting jet’s in the Aluminum Lacquer as well. All of that was done was to control corrosion. They found NMF didn't work so well without constant attention. Then there is pre-war aircraft such as the Curtiss Hawk 75 and Seversky P-35 that were highly polished NMF. The Seversky was the grandfather of the P-47. 

Don't confuse things Dennis 😄, I'm thinking Tamiya P-47D in 1/48 for the GB but having a practice on a Hobby Boss 1/72 easy build kit.

Roger. 

• Like 3

@Cookenbacher, I make us at 21 “volunteers” already in less than a week. Just need to keep going, and then ticking over till November, when it’s @Col.‘s time to shine in the annual “bum” fight. 

Plenty of time for more volunteers and bad jokes

I'm reading a book about metal fasteners.

Riveting stuff.

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 3:30 PM, exdraken said:

Challenge accepted!

Real Nmf only?

No high speed silver I guess...

High speed silver finishes are welcome, as the techniques are similar to metal finishes and sharing and learning new techniques is the primary aim of this Group Build.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

@Hockeyboy76, what do you think about waving the 25% rule for this one? The build theme really centers around the finish rather than the construction. Perhaps we should consult with @Enzo Matrix.

I’m happy with that dude, but we may need to “butter up/bribe @Enzo Matrix

Will he go with a single type GB as it’s a single finish or are we on for the bun fight once we have voluntold some more victims chumps modellers. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Haha 3

Evening all, another chump here!

I have had the Revell Canadair Sabre 6 in the stash for a long time and have been planning to do another 'foiled' project but I wanted to check with our more knowledgeable brethren about what overall finish in the accompanying image might be?

49464461508_da38539051.jpg

The image depicts an aircraft of 414 'Black Knights' Sqn. RCAF and I have always loved the use of the geometric bands especially against an all over NMF, but is it NMF or painted silver either way I'd like to enter it for the build.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That appears to be a Canadair Sabre Mk.2 @MarkSH, which has the early slatted wing. IIRC the Revell kit is based on the longer chord 6-3 wing so is quite different. The photo above is most certainly in Bare Metal finish as were all (IMO) non camouflaged Canadian Sabres. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1