BA 1/144 757-200

I have many projects on the go, but at the moment paining is on the back burner as I’m awaiting to finish turning the loft into the shed of the sky, so have nowhere to spray/airbrush. Anywho, I thought I’d try my hand at the world of resin. I ordered a Authentic Airliners 757, with RR engines. I’ve started basic work on the tail. I must say I love the detail of resin. While looking into the scheme I plan on doing, I noticed I needed to change the engines, thankfully braz do the ones I needed, so ordered Braz RR RB211 535c. This may be a slow project as I’m new to resin any tips and advice be grand!  

and yes in the background is a 1-11 I’m slowly working on, I’m a fan of old airliners and old kits. spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

Update time!  

the new engines have arrived! I shall get to work with them tomorrow I think. Acquired to last of them from Hannants to use on a tristar project down the line.   

spacer.png

tail is fitted, my first experience with an AA kit and the fitment is more or less perfect! Some basic filing and a touch of plastic putty to clean up edges and it’s perfect! Really enjoying the resin life kit so far, not so much enjoying the dust while filing, got a basic mask and wet file everything.  Shall tidy up further in a couple days with very fine sand paper and attempt to replace any lost panel lines. Will use an old spitfire kit to practice that before hand.

any advice regarding the tail, the livery I’ve chosen the scheme runs off the tail down around the fuselage. Is it better to trim the decal to fit around the rear tail plane or leave the horizontal stabilisers off and fit last?   

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

As work progresses, I’ve started on the engines, but noted so far the fitment is going to need a fair amount of work to make them sit nicely on the wing. The Braz moulds themselves are really nice, plenty of detail but probably made to fit minicraft or masterkit 757s. Hey ho! Was a nice reminder to say I need more filler. 
spacer.png 

spacer.png

compared to the RR 211-535E4s supplied with the kit. 

the wing fitment is really nice, areas where the

leading edge meets the fuselage that often have poor alignments with some kit designs (usually injection kits) Authentic Airliners have designed the kit so well it’s nearly eliminated that issue. Just have minor gaps to attend to once the wings have dried fully overnight. 
spacer.png 

I shall tackle the wing tips tomorrow also, thinking about it I should of done them prior to putting the wings on. Lesson learnt! Nice touch that AA include winglets as an option with the kit. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Timski1 said:

any advice regarding the tail, the livery I’ve chosen the scheme runs off the tail down around the fuselage. Is it better to trim the decal to fit around the rear tail plane or leave the horizontal stabilisers off and fit last?   

Hi,

Nice to see another AA kit being built, I've got 4 on the go at the moment!

The 757 is such a beautiful kit and, as you're finding out, goes together so well.

My advice regarding the horizontal stabilizers is definitely to leave them until the tail decal is on and dried thoroughly then it's an easy job to simply slit the decal and fit the stabilizers. There won't be any filling required. Always have a dry run first because there may be some trimming of the locating tab necessary.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi,

Nice to see another AA kit being built, I've got 4 on the go at the moment!

The 757 is such a beautiful kit and, as you're finding out, goes together so well.

My advice regarding the horizontal stabilizers is definitely to leave them until the tail decal is on and dried thoroughly then it's an easy job to simply slit the decal and fit the stabilizers. There won't be any filling required. Always have a dry run first because there may be some trimming of the locating tab necessary.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you for the advice really appreciate it, I shall do that, seen plenty of your builds and they’re fantastic so I’ll definitely take this advice! this is my first experience with a resin kit and very much enjoying it! Just waiting for more AA kits to be released and restocked  forever waiting for that restock alert email!  
regards 

Tim 

The engines... 

i think I got a bit of a bad batch, the detail is fantastic but the half’s fit is poor. The forward half is noticeably smaller and more rounded. The 211s have an odd shape as is and are slightly offset, thankfully that detail is okay. I’ve now entered the world of filler and reshaping the engines. Using some schematics and detailed photos of the RB211 to ensure I keep the shape as best as I can. Looks rough, need to add some more filler on the sides of each, use more finer files and clean up the scoring marks then rescribe some panel lines. But this is the first run. More filler to go on and another day or so to dry before I re attack. All fun and games!  Thankfully at this scale minor discrepancy’s I can live with and should be less noticeable.
spacer.pngspacer.png 

it will get there slowly, once fitted on the wings I can do minor touch ups to the alignments. Thankfully as more 757s unfortunately retire there’s no shortage of detailed photos online. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Yes there is more work with some of the earlier Bra.Z engines but are you sure you can't use the AA ones? BA did fly 757s with both types of RR engines.

Cheers,

Ian

I’ve decided to go with the Chelsea Rose livery, a livery I distinctly remember always using when playing old flight sim 2000. can’t find any reference photos with the livery being on aircraft with the E4 engines, i have searched a lot! I like to try and challenge myself, and since starting the Braz engines I won’t be defeated by them! :’)  BUUUUUUT saying that... I have the AA ones together as a just incase the Braz ones push my blood pressure up much higher 😂

On 1/8/2020 at 7:34 PM, Timski1 said:

I’ve decided to go with the Chelsea Rose livery, a livery I distinctly remember always using when playing old flight sim 2000. can’t find any reference photos with the livery being on aircraft with the E4 engines, i have searched a lot! I like to try and challenge myself, and since starting the Braz engines I won’t be defeated by them! :’)  BUUUUUUT saying that... I have the AA ones together as a just incase the Braz ones push my blood pressure up much higher 😂

According to Keith Gaskell's BA History, there were only two 757s in the Chelsea Rose livery; G-BIKB and G-BMRD.  Both had RB211-535C engines (ref Planespotters.net)

Will look forward to this being finished, both to see how you get on with the AA kit and also because I like that version of "World Tails" and have done a 737-436 in it.

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

According to Keith Gaskell's BA History, there were only two 757s in the Chelsea Rose livery; G-BIKB and G-BMRD.  Both had RB211-535C engines (ref Planespotters.net)

Will look forward to this being finished, both to see how you get on with the AA kit and also because I like that version of "World Tails" and have done a 737-436 in it.

Mike

Thank you for confirming that Mike, every time I end up on that website I often find myself looking at the complete different thing I went looking for so do appreciate that.

I do like the world tails, I’m still quite young so when world tails came out they were often all I drew in my school books! remember going to Florida for my first family holiday and first experience flying and seeing the line of BA world tail 747s at Heathrow and just being fascinated! I think it’s all the photos I took on my disposable camera on that holiday, joys of being a plane mad 6 year old! I’ve recently got a few 737, and ordering a couple of AA 747s with my tax rebate, I would quite like to have them all! I’m just waiting the decals from F-Decal, I have a couple world tails sat waiting to be used on the shelf of doom 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a while thanks to personal Heath and the loft conversion being more of a pain than expected... so I’m still working on the kitchen table. 

anywayyyyyy... done some more filler work on the engines, looking rough but shall chuck some primer on there, work out some of the imperfections, very very fine file before another coat. They have been a pain but hopefully I can get them looking good enough, at this scale mistakes can be hidden thankfully! Decals arrived and they look extremely nice! So nice in fact I also ordered the Chelsea Rose livery for a 737-400. Going to continue working on painting the undercarriage today and tomorrow and between coats I’ll be cleaning up little bits on the plane itself. spacer.png 

p?i=c331e3e2974dfbb40fdf376163611dfb&ful 

and sat beneath the decals in the box was a delivery from Authentic Airliners containing the beautiful resin BAC 111-500 and a Trident 3B, thankfully they restocked them and I raced to order! It was a good parcel day. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Timski1 said:

It was a good parcel day

Yes, you can say that again! The 1-11 and Trident 3B are gorgeous kits, are they going to be BA as well?

Keep on with the filling and sanding on the engines it'll be worth it in the end!

I agree with @Back in the Saddle the Chelsea Rose scheme was one of the better ones.

I can recommend Halfords Fiat Capri Blue if you are going down the spray can route for painting as it is a very good match for BA World Livery blue.

Oh and I hope you'll be using AA window decals!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again!  

more updates, free from a cast I can paint! Ish... progress has been minimal, well... nothing! never really appreciated how much I took my hands for granted... and never anticipated how itchy casts are! But anyway, onto paining the undercarriage. Work is slow, but hoping between being back to work I can get her on her own legs, the details of the undercarriage on this scale is fantastic! Even though filing without losing all the details can be a pain. spacer.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello all! 

it’s been a while i know, life often gets in the way! 

but she’s basically on her own legs, after fiddling with the worlds most intricate undercarriage.  

I was going to originally pain the undercarriage then instal, but it being resin I felt once I have primer on the parts should paint up a lot nicer so, I fitted! May soon find out that was a mistake but it’s all learning... apparently spacer.png

• Like 2