Variation on an HAS theme

Having admired @bar side's excellent build for some time I fancied putting my laser cutter to modelling use. 

Thanks to the aforementioned's generous sharing of photo material and some of my own digging around I decided to do a RAF Germany Brueggen HAS as my first attempt (facetted roof and interesting shaped blast doors) 

The old plans and scan I found in other BM threads had seen better days and I’m tucked up in bed with the cold so I took the opportunity to start over from scratch and do the whole thing myself. I’ve sized my drawings for laser cutting from 3mm laser-grade birch ply. I'll glue with PVA, fill with polyfiller and skin the upper surface with stiff card. A day or two of measuring and calculations gives me:

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 13.20.41

You can see the king of thing I'm aiming for at 

and https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=raf+brueggen+hardened+aircraft+shelter 

Edited by LostCosmonauts
picture wasn't displaying
  • Like 2

All the parts seem to have cut out ok. The laser cutter is playing up and cutting slightly off at an angle but hopefully not so badly that it will cause problems for a first run at making this

49316921321_0639116f74_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
Let’s try that again with a picture
  • Like 2

Be watching with interest.  The ply looks a good material.  So going for one of these 

HarrierGR7-ZD378-26-10.jpg

rather than a smooth one

Jaguar-GR1-31sq.jpg

could squeeze a couple of leds on the front for some night shoots.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bar side said:

Be watching with interest.  The ply looks a good material.  So going for one of these 

HarrierGR7-ZD378-26-10.jpg

rather than a smooth one

Jaguar-GR1-31sq.jpg

could squeeze a couple of leds on the front for some night shoots.  

At first, my thinking was that I’d start with the the slab sided one and move onto the smooth sided ones as I refine and work through the niggles that I’ve no doubt incorporated into the design.

I like the LED thinking - I was thinking that this one would just be a tester for shape but will give some thought to build internal and exterior lighting and wiring into V1.1. I’ve left a decent 3mm void space between inner and outer skins to allow for it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bar side said:

Lots of cheap led Christmas lights around this time of year.  You can usually cut & shape the clear lense end too, provided you don’t get down to the embedded filament

My workshop is a short walk from Asda, Wilko and a Poundland so will peruse their Christmas tat sales to see if there are any suitable lights going spare

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

I should add that there are a number of LED strips you can pick up powered by 3xAAA batteries, that offer RGB lighting, and come with an infrared remote, for less than a fiver including postage on that well known Electronic Auction Site. I picked up some to make a Daft Punk style helmet for Halloween. Usually can get them in 0.5m to 2m led strip lengths (any more is pushing the battery supply too much i think)

Look forwards to following along with this build! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

I should add that there are a number of LED strips you can pick up powered by 3xAAA batteries, that offer RGB lighting, and come with an infrared remote, for less than a fiver including postage on that well known Electronic Auction Site. I picked up some to make a Daft Punk style helmet for Halloween. Usually can get them in 0.5m to 2m led strip lengths (any more is pushing the battery supply too much i think)

Look forwards to following along with this build! 

Good idea, I’ve done similar messing around with LED stip lights (impulse bought in Lidl) mounted on ply and hidden inside an acrylic tube diffuser. Add a cast concrete base and laser cut ply retro looking rocket and you get something pretty cool looking

IMG_1718

• Like 2

V1.0 - just slotted together. No glue or filler yet

From above

49327339607_d4f98b6865_b.jpg

Front with blast doors closed

49327121291_566446fcb6_b.jpg

Front with blast doors open (I need to move them back a bit in v1.1 as I don’t think they should extend past the roofline when open)

49326642953_203b1f6191_b.jpg

Overhead showing the exhaust tunnel and deflector

49327121201_67fa8f96d6_b.jpg

• Like 4

Looking very sweet! this is shaping up into a neat project!  

not to send you down a deep hole of electromechanical automation...... but those blast doors are screaming for some little motorized action :D 

what are you thinking of doing for the surface finish for the concrete? ive seen some good results when people have used 'real' cement on small projects 

https://siamagazin.com/how-to-build-reinforced-concrete-stairs-in-a-miniature-scale-model-house/ - as the link says.

https://www.smooth-on.com/howto/concrete-casting/  -  This link i spent far too long on! concrete casting of all kinds of crazy stuff

https://davidneat.wordpress.com/tag/simulating-polished-concrete-in-a-model/ -  alternatively using other media to fake concrere

• Like 1

Motorised?! @Kushan_Farsight Have the little voices in my head that make daft suggestions been talking to you as well?

I've done a couple of tries at concrete casting (the base on that rocket lamp and an art piece) both just mini projects to use up some spare postcrete that was knocking around in the shed. Hadn't considered it for this build but will give it some thought. I was thinking of maybe finishing it with plastikote's stone effect sparypaint https://www.therange.co.uk/arts-and-crafts/art-supplies/painting/paint/spray-paint/plastikote-stone-effect-paint/ or maybe mixing some very fine particulate (fine sand or similar) into my brushed applied primer coat. 

I think anything that gives a little texture will work but not too much - you can’t see concrete texture in most airfield photos as it will have been laid to a pretty decent standard.

Now motorising those doors - been working on another motorisation project & found some cheap linear actuators or stepper motors that could give you enough throw if fitted behind the doors.  Put a rod near the hinge & you might not need to long throw.  Something like this?

s-l400.jpg

Just remember we are here to lead you astray!

• Like 3

Found them on eBay - various types & lead times.  I have a couple with 5cm throw on order but I suspect you would need less.  Only £2 or £3 each usually.  Just search micro actuators or stepper motors.  You can wire them up simply with a switch.  I am planning to link mine up to a programmable unit to sequence events, but I will see how  goes.  New territory for me.

• Like 1

Casting aside all thoughts of motors, lights and gizmos I've been having a play with planning the rounded HAS version 

For the rounded internal and externally roofed HAS I've reworked a bit. Both roof and ceiling will be card glued in place. Hopefully this is all of the bits it'll need. Framework of 4 formers and 7 stringers, Rear wall with hexagonal exhaust tunnel, doors, trunking and door rails. Pair of sliding blast doors at front with a reinforcing strut work lattice.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 22.29.01

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bar side said:

Look very tidy indeed

Thanks! Not as elegantly or as accurately done as the framework on yours. You did neat L section spars throughout like the real thing whereas mine is just a rectangular general stab at getting the overall look.

Looking forward to getting them glued and some exterior surfaces in place. Eager to see how they’ll look with a Lightning or Phantom crouching in the doorway 

But yours is a smaller scale so anything less would be a bit flimsy.  Bit of paint & let the sun light cast a shadow through it & it will really come alive.  I always tended to think of it as Phantom or Bucc in the UK style round top & Harrier or Jag in the Euro  style clam shell door.  And Tornado in any.  But I put a TSR2 in mine so anything goes

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Getting around to having a look at these again. Time to try fitting a skin 

Some thickish card, and PVA 

49587693753_7c96afcf82_b.jpg

After wrapping once I wasn’t happy with the facets so scored on the inside by drawing a line in biro and then lightly creasing. Re-wrapping I get this

49587693803_73de52f149_b.jpg

I added a strip of scrap corrugated card glued to inner and outer along the bottom edge to toughen it a little. Trimming the edges gives me something starting to look HAS shaped

49588432172_83a7e44feb_b.jpg

Couldn’t resist trying a plane in place to see how it looked with something fast and pointy

49587693743_7fdb9b30d1_b.jpg

• Like 4

Looks good.  I like the look of card for scale concrete.  If you want to paint it I tend to go for white emulsion with some black poster paint not fully mixed in.  That way you get lighter & darker  bits and occasional white stripes which to me look about right

• Thanks 1