Heller 1:50 Westland Aerospatiale Gazelle HT2 in Royal Navy markings - Extra couple of photos added

This was an impulse buy - which I pretty much regretted as soon as I opened the box. Not such a modern kit, with a few fit issues. It was not the easiest to make and I kept breaking bits off as I completed it - which is why it spent several months at the back of the shelf of doom. But I was so close so I pushed on. White is from a Tamiya rattle can, the red is brush painted Tamiya acrylic - which was gruesome to paint. Finished with a bit of slight weathering (most of which was from my grubby fingers), and a brushed on coat of Tamiya semi-gloss clear. Completed out of the box as XW871 of 705 Naval Air Squadron, Culdrose, UK, 19896. Thanks for looking.

49315272303_733e0b1f56_b.jpg

49315977067_f9b8f109e8_b.jpg

49315271723_9d63d35b1e_b.jpg

49315976942_52159d6a57_b.jpg

49315767646_75a3690140_b.jpg

49315767956_9b40b3b64d_b.jpg

Some additional photos outside:

49319029277_41e31a5679_b.jpg

49318328318_b7058b298c_b.jpg

Edited by SimonL
Added extra photos, corrected date
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steve4428 said:

Lovely job mate, got the same one in the stash! Does it need any nose weight in it?

Thanks! Yes, I put a bit behind the cockpit (lead fishing weights held in place with blu-tack) and also under the cockpit floor (under the raised section where you put the front seats).

6 hours ago, SimonL said:

Thanks! Yes, I put a bit behind the cockpit (lead fishing weights held in place with blu-tack) and also under the cockpit floor (under the raised section where you put the front seats).

Thanks for the tip mate!

Many thanks for the kind comments. Added an extra couple of photos taken outside this morning

8 hours ago, junglierating said:

Lovely mate you've made a good job of that..one question 1986 or 96.....the decal says 1996 so I presume that is what you meant. 

Oops yes - corrected 🙂

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

As you say, it's an old kit and shouldn't be judged too harshly, perhaps, but Heller really over-simlified that rotor head, didn't they? 😉

Just a bit!

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Come on Airfix.......

2 hours ago, fids said:

Airfix need to pull their finger out with  a 1:48

And maybe a Wasp and/or Scout?

• Like 3

Beautiful job! I've sworn by Tamiya acrylics since I was six but for some reason their XF-7 Red has really, really fallen in quality over the past couple of years. You did well to soldier on and the end result doesn't show any sign of your trouble! Bravo!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

I've sworn by Tamiya acrylics since I was six but for some reason their XF-7 Red has really, really fallen in quality over the past couple of years.

Thanks! Actually it was the gloss red - not the flat red I used (X-7). The colour is ok, just it’s a pig to brush paint.

10 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Thanks! Actually it was the gloss red - not the flat red I used (X-7). The colour is ok, just it’s a pig to brush paint.

Is it super-thin? That's been my issue with the Flat...no other colours seem to be affected (apologies for the hijack, I really like your Gazelle!).

On 1/3/2020 at 9:37 PM, SimonL said:

Its more that it doesn’t cover well, needing plenty of coats, which then makes the detail look soft. Not that there was much detail on this one anyway 🙂

Sounds about right. In my experience for the paint, and what I've read about the kit! Thanks again for sharing the build and for persevering with it.