Boeing F-13A-55-BW, Monogram, 1/48

************************* H A P P Y – N E W Y E A R ! *************************

************* 2 0 2 0 ****************

Dear Modellers,

I thought, let me start the new year with a big piece of alu-mongery This time no scratch !.....😁......

So I like to show my model, which I build many years ago , yes, in pre- Internet-days.

I had a Squadron/Signal In Action Publication Nr. 31, which included a nice drawing of a Photo-

Recon version. So I decided to build “Double Exposure “

The markings were not a problem, only that pin-up...!.... I could not find a decent decalsheet then, so I

had to make one myself.

After making some sketches, I painted it with oil paints on a piece of Microscales clear

decal sheet by hand.

Looking now, remembering the age of the kit, I think Monogram did a pretty good job in those

days. Of course there are some issues, but overall it's still an impressive model !

Enjoy the photographs !

Kind regards,

John Haa

,spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 53

Amazing finish, and the double exposed young lady looks fantastic.

Here – again! – I get the impression that Monogram's raised panel joints look more realistic in this NMF than many modern kits with their engraved joints. My 2 c…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Monogram's raised panel joints look more realistic in this NMF

I couldn't agree more!

Superb aluminium finish John. Did you polish it, and how? Two nice gun turrets, too... 😉

Superb John - stunning even! Might have known that, with your scratch building skills, you could build something spectacular like this from a kit.

Cheers

Malcolm

Wow - that is one of the most beautiful B-29's I've ever seen. The nose art is incredible - you are a great artist! The old Monogram kits were way ahead of their time.

Edited by Hobo

That finish is absolutely beautiful! WOW!! I have to chime in with the others and ask: how did you achieve that natural/bare metal finish? I have a 1/72 Academy B-29 awaiting some form of skin treatment and if I can achieve something close to your work I'd be very, very pleased.

Dear Folks,

Thank you very much for your kind comments !

I am glad you liked the photographs.  I think some more info is needed here. 

At first that canopy, as Jeaton01 rightfully remarked, one of the main issues, the fitting is indeed so so, it requires much filing, sanding and putty to bled it in with the fuselage contours.

Yes, the finish...😁 I read much about rised or sunken panel lines. I like both, I think, on the large models, rised panel lines in combination with a NMF are not bad at all. But of course that's my opinion....:-)

It is not difficult to get that nice natural metal finish, first airbrush the model in a dark grey matt finish, I achive good results with Polly- S Acryl paints.  Over this comes Rub 'n Buff Silver, just a piece of soft cloth and polishing.

It is even possible to get some nuances by using more or less polish. You can even apply decals on it, no problem and it is always possible to correct some bad spots with some new polish.

Finally, what is very important, make sure that the surface has no scratches or other marks, everything will be merciless shown under the final finish.  

I hope, this will you help to get a nice metal finish for your model. My model is now about 35 years old, it still looks fine . 😀

With regards,

JohnHaa   

Edited by JohnHaa
type error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a friend who's father flew 42-93849 "Under Exposed", wanted to model that for a while but there is very little in way of reference photos. I love what you have done and that nose art is phenomenal.

Marc

John,

Had to think a minute what an F-13 was, but remembered! Everything the others have said goes double for me, and it is one of the very best Monogram Superforts I have seen for a long, long time. Had a feeling that finish was rub 'n' buff, and it seems to work very well with raised panel lines, which actually look very realistic on your model. Was this kit one of the later releases that had the Hamilton Standard props instead of the Curtiss Electrics that came with the original release, or did you get aftermarket replacements?

BTW, when my Dad was stationed in Germany from 65-67, we visited Holland twice on vacations; your country is beautiful and the people were so gracious! Spent a lot of time in Rotterdam and Amsterdam and a whole day at the Madurodam- what an incredible example of model building!

Mike

Hello,

This Fortress is 35 years old?! 😮 Your model is still looking very nice and I am happy to see the resistance of the Rub'n Buff ! I am just trying Rub on my in progress model and I have to admit that the result is very interesting. 

Very nice shiny model!🤩

Lolo

I much appreciate your comments, thank you !

For Mike, I did some searching in my memory ( I'm growing old...😄) I think I bought this model in 1982, it stayed for 3 years in my stash, because I had no dustfree - space to park it. It is indeed huge. 

First I build a new cabinet for more large planes ( B-17 2x, B-24, Hercules). Then at last in 1985  I could start building this lady.  

After some search at Scalemates,  I think I got the second edition of 1980, because it had the Hamilton Standard props. 

And Mike, I am pleased that you enjoyed your spell here in Holland. It is a small country, but there are a lot of nice places to visit.  And BTW I was born and rised in Rotterdam !

With kind greetings,

JohnHaa