Eurofighter Typhoon & Panavia Tornado F3, Airfix 1:72

Happy New Year to you all!

After doing a number of complex builds in 2019 (the Richelieu 1:350 is still work-in-progress...), I wanted to do some simpler kits just to keep my interest going over the holidays.

I think I was getting more satisfaction completing a kit rather than the experience building.

In the local model store, I saw these two starter kits and thought a dual build would be a bit of fun.

I remember building a Tornado years and years ago.  I never got to finish it before someone "tidied it away"...

The Typhoon was a first for me.

As expected, the kits were very basic, there's no cockpit detail to speak of, other than a control stick - not even raised gauges on the instrument panels.  There are no decals for the instruments either, but on completion, you would not be able to see any instruments in the cockpit anyway, unless you choose to have the canopies open.

The Tornado went together without any issues, but the starboard wing droops when the wings are in the forward position.  When they are swept back, they are level.  

Even though the Tornado has moveable wings, the weapons/drop tank pylons have no pivots, so they need to be cemented in position.  This means that when the wings are swept back, the pylons and stores are no longer pointing forward in the correct direction.

This inaccuracy frustrated me, and forced me to buy the Revell 1:48 version.  It looks like this one has linkages inside the wings to keep the pylons at the correct angle when the wings are moved, something that even the Revell 1:72 or 1:32 do not have according to the instructions I have read online.

In any case, for the price that I got these, I think these are two nice-looking kits, and I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.

I am not one for weathering, partly because I like the "clean" look, and weathering is a skill that I do not have.  Weathered models can look like works of art.  I may try to practice with these two.

IMG_9458 copy

IMG_9459 copy

IMG_9460 copy

IMG_9461 copy

IMG_9462 copy

IMG_9463 copy

IMG_9464 copy

IMG_9465 copy

IMG_9466 copy

IMG_9457 copy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, delticfan said:

Nice job, satisfying to finish something even if it’s not the cutting edge of kits. 

That's why I wanted to do two at the same time 😁

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great!

The second photo setup really does them justice!

:thumbsup:

Thanks, the weather hasn't been conducive for outside photos of late!  I should do more of them during the spring/summer!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2020 at 13:40, TonkaGuy said:

Very nice how was the build of the F3? I have found one in my garage I plan to use to get me back into the hobby

I really enjoyed the F3, no real fit issues, but I guess for many the cockpit would be too simplistic, no detail in the landing gear bays or intakes, etc.

Considering you cannot see anything inside with the canopy closed, this was not really a concern for me, and I have the larger 1:48 and 1:32 Tornado kits to build for more detail.

The wing-sweep mechanism is a bar that connects the two wings, which is simple but effective.  The only issue here is that the weapons pylons do not have any hinges, so they have to be cemented appropriately in either the wing forward, or wing swept position.  And then they will be at the incorrect angle if you move the wings forward or aft.

The decals were great, and I think overall it's a nice representation of the F3 for the price.

I didn't do a WIP thread for it because it was pretty straightforward, and I didn't think people would be interested in a low-detail build.

Actually I don't think I've seen a WIP for the Airfix F3 in 1:72, so you could do a good job documenting your build!

Well done.  I haven't built the Typhoon but have done that Tornado F3.  Not great but not a bad kit for its vintage.  I managed to make my wing pylons pivot using pins.  I love the scheme you painted her in.

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Great looking pair of Defenders of UK Airspace.

After restoring my Wellington, I’ve decided to build the EuroFighter.

It’s a Then & Now kit which came with a mk II Spitfire.

Is there anything which stands out to look out for during the build?

I dry fit tested the air intake agains the lower fuselage and it’s slightly wider so will need filling or sanding down😒

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

Great looking pair of Defenders of UK Airspace.

After restoring my Wellington, I’ve decided to build the EuroFighter.

It’s a Then & Now kit which came with a mk II Spitfire.

Is there anything which stands out to look out for during the build?

I dry fit tested the air intake agains the lower fuselage and it’s slightly wider so will need filling or sanding down😒

I think the kit went together pretty well, but it could do with some added details.

There is no intake detail for example, just a blank part that you can see if you look into the intakes, and no exhaust detail either.

I think there is quite a bit of a gap between the exhaust nozzles and rear fuselage, which I didn't fill, but probably would if I could build it again.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. 
I’ve notice the air intake blanked off. I might 3D print the intake ‘passageway’ and simulate the front of the engines (assuming there’s room inside the fuselage,and also the rear engine detail.

Or I could cheat and find a photo of the intake and rear engine detail and turn them into a decals....🤔.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Brigbeale said:

Thanks for the info. 
I’ve notice the air intake blanked off. I might 3D print the intake ‘passageway’ and simulate the front of the engines (assuming there’s room inside the fuselage,and also the rear engine detail.

Or I could cheat and find a photo of the intake and rear engine detail and turn them into a decals....🤔.

I think decals would work for the exhausts, but the intake is an S-duct with the engines positioned far back, so you shouldn't be able to see the engine fans.

The Revell kit has no engine fans either, but the intake ducts just lead to the fuselage cavity, which looks a little bit better.

1 hour ago, Brigbeale said:

Thanks for the info. 

Here are the differences between the two:

IMG_1862

The Revell Eurofighter is on the left, the Airfix version on the right.

• Thanks 1