Mr. Vengeance goes to Brazil - 1/72 SH A-35 in FAB markings

Giorgio N

On 1/27/2020 at 2:49 PM, Giorgio N said:

There you go ! Put the cowling in place with tape and compared to a P-51, itself not the smallerst WW2 fighter (and a model I should keep working on...)

resized_056579a1-4189-4751-b6b2-22b3dba8

Most interesting was compare Vengeance with Ju-87 & Pe-2.

B.R.

Serge

27 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Most interesting was compare Vengeance with Ju-87 & Pe-2.

B.R.

Serge

Here it is with the Zvezda Ju.87B-2 ! Cowling on the A-35 is a bit loose but should not detract from understanding the relative sizes.

resized_fe49a9b6-ed3b-475e-84b6-1d17c3e6

The Stuka is much slimmer and was much lighter, around 30%. Of course power was lower and the bomb load was higher on the A-35

More interesting would be a comparison with the Ju.87D, not much in terms os size but of weight and power... here the two had almost the same weight, the Stuka still had less power but not as much as with the B. Bombload was similar in this case.

Where of course the Stuka can't be beaten is in the fame it achieved, something that the A-35 never matched...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Cliff ! The A-35s from what I read never left Brazil and were mainly used for patrol duties along the coasts of that Country, guess that for this reason they are not very well known,

Some progress, not much but it took a long time..

The canopy, as in most early Special Hobby kits, is supplied in vacuform. Fortunately SH put two of them in the box, just in case... removing the canopy from its backing sheet was not easy, the plastic is relatively thick and quite stiff. Good in a sense as the part is quite robust but cutting this plastic was not easy. In the end I managedn to complete the task reasonably well and with just one cut on my fingers,. not too bad !

What is less good is that the shape iof the cockpit opening and the shape of the cockpit do not really agree that well !  Not uncommon in this kind of kits but annoying nonetheless. In the end after several attempts I decided that the easiest way to go was to cut the canopy in sections and apply all parts separately. Since the rear end was decent enough and the problems were mainly around the pilot section, I decided to cut this away and pose it open. So I now have 3 sections: windscreen, pilot section and the rest. The "rest" is now glued in place, I will have to apply some filler but the result is as good as I could get. The pilot section in the picture below is just resting over the central section, not glued yet. The windscreen will be the hardest part and will be glued when I feel that my karma is positive enough..

resized_b14e0d28-1cf6-496f-a348-c33f9ee2

Have to say that while cutting the canopy was very stressful, having a vacuform part gives a very clear view of what's under the canopy ! The plastic used by SH may have been thicker than most but it's still perfectly clear. Of course masking such a canopy will make for another "interesting" experience but I have a cunning plan, more cunning than a fox.....

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As I understand, on:

http://adf-serials.com.au/

absolutely free download:

http://adf-serials.com.au/newsletter/ADF Telegraph 2019 Summer.pdf

in which

many interesting about subject, especially on camouflage!

😉

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

Edited by Aardvark