Renault AHN 1/35

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Those seats are just really strange! Paint everything orange and you would have a nice '70's interior 🙂 

Indeed, one would only need to make seats turn as well...

The inside of the cab is now all painted and all masking removed. Tomorrow I should be able to mask the inside properly and spray the exterior. I also have to mask the underside of the bed to spray the sides in the same blue.

ahn71.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan R said:

I do like the idea of 'civilianising' military trucks.

I'll have to see what's in my stash...

Cheers,

Alan.

Maybe you already have one on the go and forgot about it 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Alan R said:

I do like the idea of 'civilianising' military trucks.

In my world it makes them a bit more interesting, also because the model will be a little different.

Windows and a few details fitted to the cab. The painted photo etch strips in the windscreens worked quite well I think. The text in the Renault sign is not provided for in the kit, so I printed my own when I did the other decals. In reality it is a text in relief, but this low contrasting decal will have to do.

ahn73.jpg

A base coat of flat black has also been sprayed inside the bed.

ahn74.jpg

• Like 7

The decals are on the doors. Of course I then noted I missed one letter... Oh well, I'm not going to bother with that right now, if at all.

ahn75.jpg

I worked the inside of the bed with some dry brushing, pigment and wash.

ahn76.jpg

Then I finished off the assembly of the cab. This truck was built in 1943 and has the air cleaner inside the cab with a pipe up to the side wall, which doesn't make sense. I have no right side photo of this truck, but many war time AHN's with this air cleaner set up have that pipe through the wall, taking the air outside through a round collar. I found a little collar in resin that looked reasonably correct to add this detail.

ahn77.jpg

ahn78.jpg

The bed glued to the frame and the rear wheels and mudguards installed. Dusted down a bit with Tamiya weathering compound and pigment.

ahn79.jpg

With the cab glued in place the end is close.

ahn80.jpg

And with the front wheels installed and a little bit more dusting I think this one is more or less done. I will set it back on the bench for a day or two while I continue work on the two Caudron racers, to see if I want to revisit something.

ahn81.jpg

ahn82.jpg

ahn83.jpg

• Like 9

That looks very tidy, much better than the only one I've seen in real life. :yes:

I don't know if it's just me, but this photo makes it look quite cheeky - if it's possible for a flat-bed truck to look cheerful this is it (or maybe I'm just seeing things):

ahn81.jpg&key=18753a150e8d7daea6190a5027

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks a lot for the kind words!

The resin wheels and new mud guards and wheel arches made a huge difference, very well worth the effort.

It does indeed look quite cheerful, a lot happier than the rather sad looking German war trucks. Not many AHN's had the luck to find new life with someone like monsieur Passenaud, that probably helps 😎

2 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Civiliansised military surplus is a fascinating subject.

It's just the contrary! A civilian truck became a "military" one... In 1939 the french army was not really ready, its well known. Lack of real military trucks,

many light truck Renault, Citroën, Berliet etc were requisitioned and re-painted kaki. Of course, german army after the defeat  

take them and... re-peinted them in german grey "feldgrau"!

I'm french, and it's a part of our painful history.
Dan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

It's just the contrary! A civilian truck became a "military" one... In 1939 the french army was not really ready, its well known. Lack of real military trucks,

many light truck Renault, Citroën, Berliet etc were requisitioned and re-painted kaki. Of course, german army after the defeat  

take them and... re-peinted them in german grey "feldgrau"!

I'm french, and it's a part of our painful history.
Dan. 

Of course!

It is amazing how many vehicles from other nations that the Germans pressed into their own service.

• Like 1