Hurricane Mk.I - Practice Model

Coming along very nicely for a practice build. The bad join on the front of the wing could also be dealt with using sanding sticks and putty. For something like that Perfect Plastic Putty works well as it can be smoothed using a wet finger tip.

There are a multitude of products and techniques which will help you improve your skills but don't try to pick them all up at once. Slow and steady, and as long as you keep trying to improve, you'll find more than enough tips and tricks offered here. You only need to ask!

Ian

• Like 1

It's coming along nicely!

I'd like to offer a suggestion on dry fitting. Before you commit glue to parts, dry fit the parts to get the best possible alignment. When you dry-fit parts, it may be they join perfectly, but that's usually not the case!

hurricane05.jpg

More likely some amount of adjustment is needed. The wing-fuselage joint in the red box is offset to one side while the wing-fuselage joint in the blue box is offset to the opposite side (compare the fore-and-aft panel lines on the rear of the wing to the panel lines on the fuselage). How this could have been fixed depends on the parts. In this case, the topside wing-fuselage joints in post #19 look ok, so perhaps there's some misalignment between the upper and lower wing panels that allowed the topside joint to align while the bottom joints did not? It could also be the case that the upper and lower wing panels are perfectly aligned yet the bottom joint is misaligned. Regardless of the cause, needle files, sanding sticks, and putty can be used to adjust the fit.

Ideally, you can get a near-perfect joint in the dry-fitting-and-adjusting process Here's a before and after shot of an Airfix 1/48 P-51D fuselage bottom I'm currently building--quite a bit of filing of the interior parts was needed to get the fuselage parts to mate well. Reconstruction of the panel lines was also needed to eliminate the collateral damage of that effort. The key here is to fit the parts together and figure out where the adjustments are needed. With careful work, you can fix nearly any problem.

BTW, tweezers are notorious for launching parts into the great beyond. Quality tweezers can reduce the number of lost parts, but pressing too hard on a part in tweezers is almost a guar·an·tee for a launch. I try to hold small parts in my fingers when I file them. I prefer to file away some skin over launching a part, but to each his own. B)

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Like 3

@limeypilot @dnl42 Thanks for the hints 'n tips, it's most appreciated. In this case, the mis-alignment was caused mainly by haste and naivety. I just glued it, put it together, all felt good, didn't even think to check the alignment. It's a lesson learnt. I'm building this one primarily to practice masking, painting and using micro set/sol more when applying decals, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over the misalignment issue 😀

More pics of the build coming later.

• Like 5

Don't worry - it's just a bit of fun - not open heart surgery - when things get tough - just tell yourself...

calm.jpg

Chin up Buddy!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Don't worry - it's just a bit of fun - not open heart surgery - when things get tough - just tell yourself...

calm.jpg

Chin up Buddy!!!

Ha! Bloody love that. I need one for cooking too. My son (11) and myself had an argument earlier over how to make  béchamel sauce.  Oh how middle class. 🤣   

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Ha! Bloody love that. I need one for cooking too. My son (11) and myself had an argument earlier over how to make  béchamel sauce.  Oh how middle class. 🤣   

Jonny - I thought you knew about the Britmodeller T-Shirts...

t.jpg

They come in all kinds of 'flavours'...

PLANE / TANK / BOAT / ROCKET etc... ;)

Cheers - Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Blimey! Ow posh am yow? 😀

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Retroeric said:

It's a lesson learnt. I'm building this one primarily to practice masking, painting and using micro set/sol more when applying decals, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over the misalignment issue

That's the key. My goal is to learn something or improve skills with every build. I usually do, including learning "I'm not going to try that again!" I wish each build was always better than all previous, but that doesn't always work out.

BTW, photographs for a WIP or RFI can sometimes illuminate blindingly obvious errors.

• Like 3

hey. 

She looks great. 🤩

Are you going to cut the masking to have the vertical framing too? Cocktail stick and a brand new blade. 

2 hours ago, Retroeric said:

hurricane12.jpg

First coat of dark green.

hurricane13.jpg

The camo looks stonking. 😍😍😍

Jont. 😇

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Jonny - I thought you knew about the Britmodeller T-Shirts...

t.jpg

They come in all kinds of 'flavours'...

PLANE / TANK / BOAT / ROCKET etc... ;)

Cheers - Steve

Wha???? Where who. Take my money. 😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

If you are having trouble with your eyesight.  Get a magnifying visor. I use mine all the time now. Even with my reading glasses on. Quite a sight it be...

Me, too!

Chris

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Are you going to cut the masking to have the vertical framing too? Cocktail stick and a brand new blade. 

Damn, I never thought about cutting the masking tape in situ. I've done the horizontal bits, as shown in the piccy, so I was going to do the verticals next, masking them separately and hoping it wouldn't pull the paint off. Hmmmm......

6 hours ago, Greg Law said:

If you are having trouble with your eyesight.  Get a magnifying visor. I use mine all the time now. Even with my reading glasses on. Quite a sight it be...

Yeh, been thinking about something like that.  Any recommendations?

• Like 1

When a build goes terminally wrong it just becomes a paint mule for practicing painting techniques on.

or, occasionally, falls foul of ack-ack fire (hammer) in a most satisfying way...just remember to salvage any useful spares from the crash site.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2020 at 11:53, The Spadgent said:

Hey Rich. Any more Hurri action? 

Hi John, picked it up again last night as it happens! It's been sidelined whilst I do man work on the property. The front bedroom is finally being decorated and upgraded so that the lady of the manor has more room to stash her clutter! :nerdy:

Anyway, coat of lacquer went on last night, so some decals next. Watch this space...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Retroeric said:

Hi John, picked it up again last night as it happens! It's been sidelined whilst I do man work on the property. The front bedroom is finally being decorated and upgraded so that the lady of the manor has more room to stash her clutter! :nerdy:

Anyway, coat of lacquer went on last night, so some decals next. Watch this space...

Ha! 😂🤣 I know that pain. Similar happenings around here too. The cave looks like something exploded. 🤪

looking forward to yer decals kid. 🤩

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I repeat TheSpadgent's question... any Hurri Action?

(being late to the party, I do this while ducking away... I have been looking for places to build a 1/1 house on to have enough space to keep (and build) the big, big Hurri brother)

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 6:22 PM, Retroeric said:

@limeypilot @dnl42 Thanks for the hints 'n tips, it's most appreciated. In this case, the mis-alignment was caused mainly by haste and naivety. I just glued it, put it together, all felt good, didn't even think to check the alignment. It's a lesson learnt. I'm building this one primarily to practice masking, painting and using micro set/sol more when applying decals, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over the misalignment issue 😀

More pics of the build coming later.

You don't beat me, I should appear in the Guiness book because ....... I misaligned the wings of a Tamiya 1/48 Mustang .... yes, THE one you only have to shake and bake, so it was :wall:and :rant:. Carry on. it certainly looks good and you'll transform a practice run into a home run.

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1