Hurricane Mk.I - Practice Model

So having recently started a 1:32 Spitfire, I've decided to also do this little Hurricane kit which is a lot less daunting for a newbie and will be good to practice stuff on, especially applying decals and filling seams in the fuselage. Spent hours yesterday just painting the tiny cockpit parts, I can barely see the little buggers, and now that the two halves of the fuselage are together, all that detail is largely hidden. Oh well, at least I know it's there 😁

hurricane01.jpg

hurricane02.jpg

hurricane03.jpg

hurricane04.jpg

Edited by Retroeric
  • Like 12

10 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Nice work on that cockpit Eric! I’m building one of these at the moment too (WIP here) but at a considerably slower pace than you! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. 

Craig. 

I really need to change my username, people keep calling me Eric, when it's actually Rich.  My mistake!! 😁

Your cockpit detail is quite something. You must have done that seat belt detail under a magnifying glass, yes?  I wish I'd done the landing gear compartment in grey/silver like yours.  At that point I was still following the paint guide on the box, instead of looking at pictures on t'interweb.  I've managed to get some colour back into it, pictures coming soon.  Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

11 hours ago, Timski1 said:

You’re classing yourself as a newbie but your work says otherwise :) looking good! 

It's only my second model, see yeh, newb!! 😋

7 hours ago, wombat said:

Did you have any trouble getting the wings together without a gap at the trailing edge? 

Oh bugger, yeh I have a gap, didn't notice that. Also, the span of the top wing piece is a fraction less than the bottom, so the bottom piece sticks out ever so slightly as the wing tips. I guess I can sand that down.

• Like 2

Found it. 🙌

you could make some belts from Tamiya tape. I might have some spare PE ones if you want em too. I’ll have a looksie.

nice start by the way. Impressive indeed. 
I’ll tag along if that’s ok.

Jont.

Just now, The Spadgent said:

Found it. 🙌

you could make some belts from Tamiya tape. I might have some spare PE ones if you want em too. I’ll have a looksie.

nice start by the way. Impressive indeed. 
I’ll tag along if that’s ok.

Jont.

Cool, tag away! Really enjoying this one, it's more my level. What are "PE ones"? I've put the seat in now so it's a little enclosed by the fuselage. Might be somewhat tricky to get anything in there now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Retroeric said:

hurricane05.jpg

Wish I hadn't painted the landing gear compartment that colour, should be a metal shade. Oh well, managed to get some colour detail in there anyway

Yeah it’s Bare Aluminium or Alu paint in there. Have a look at my BIG Hurri for a paint guide. I think I got most of it right. 🤪🥳

Nice details by the way. 👍😀

1 minute ago, Retroeric said:

Cool, tag away! Really enjoying this one, it's more my level. What are "PE ones"? I've put the seat in now so it's a little enclosed by the fuselage. Might be somewhat tricky to get anything in there now.

Never mind. It looks good regardless.

sorry. “PE” is “Photo Etch” they are little after market metal detail sheets that usually have belts, meshes, bells, whistles etc. pretty cool stuff. 

49 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

“PE” is “Photo Etch” they are little after market metal detail sheets that usually have belts, meshes, bells, whistles etc. pretty cool stuff. 

Oh, they sound good. Something for the next one 😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Nice work on that cockpit Eric! I’m building one of these at the moment too (WIP here) but at a considerably slower pace than you! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. 

Craig. 

I challenge anyone to build one of these slower than I am! It's been almost 2 years since I started mine and still not that close to finished.

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retroeric said:

I really need to change my username, people keep calling me Eric, when it's actually Rich.  My mistake!! 😁

Oops, sorry Rich! Duly noted 🙂

2 hours ago, Retroeric said:

Your cockpit detail is quite something. You must have done that seat belt detail under a magnifying glass, yes?  I wish I'd done the landing gear compartment in grey/silver like yours.  At that point I was still following the paint guide on the box, instead of looking at pictures on t'interweb.  I've managed to get some colour back into it, pictures coming soon.  Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

I wish! The fantastic belts etc come from @dogsbody Build, highlights of which he was kind enough to share. My belts will be photo etch, once I’ve found or replaced the missing pilot’s seat. 

Craig. 

• Like 1

Wheels on and underbelly given a quick coat of light green.

hurricane06.jpg

The wing assembly is slightly misaligned with the fuselage assembly, as shown on the photo just in front of the small air intake. School boy error, not really much I can do about it now.

hurricane06a.jpg

Close up of the landing gear compartment.

hurricane07.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Retroeric said:

slightly misaligned with the fuselage assembly,

Probably the result of a heavy landing by an inexperienced pilot 😉

At least, that'd me my justification 😁

• Like 1

It's all gone a bit brown. That's 3 coats of brushed on colour.  Never gonna be as good as spray gun, but you make the best of what you have 😁

hurricane08.jpg

hurricane09.jpg

hurricane10.jpg

First attempt at getting a nice sharp line between the top 'n bottom colours.  Whisked off the masking type straight after applying the paint.  Really wish I hadn't cocked up fitting the wing assembly.

hurricane11.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 4:01 PM, Retroeric said:

School boy error, not really much I can do about it now.

hurricane06a.jpg

Just don’t do it again!!! 😈

only kidding, she’s looking great. I’m going to have to give you some sanding sticks. That seam on the front intake could have been delt with really easily.  That Spitfire is going to be sanded sooo smoooooooth. 🤪🤩🤩🤩

Johnny,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retroeric said:

First attempt at getting a nice sharp line between the top 'n bottom colours.  Whisked off the masking type straight after applying the paint.  Really wish I hadn't cocked up fitting the wing assembly.

hurricane11.jpg

Nice lines there kid. Don’t beat yourself up over that little glitch. As you said it’s a practice run and the learning curve is CraZy. As long as you’re having fun that’s all that counts. 🤩

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

only kidding, she’s looking great. I’m going to have to give you some sanding sticks. That seam on the front intake could have been delt with really easily.  That Spitfire is going to be sanded sooo smoooooooth. 🤪🤩🤩🤩

I have sanding sticks a plenty, but thanks! 😁

Which seam are you referring to? I thought it was part of the intake.

10 hours ago, Retroeric said:

I have sanding sticks a plenty, but thanks! 😁

Which seam are you referring to? I thought it was part of the intake.

The one running along the outer edge. 
the one I build was smooth but the last pic looks like it might be a thing.

i can’t find any pics of a line like that but I might be wrong. I usually am. 🤪

• Like 1

I believe he is referring to this seam and divot.

49341370083_3cc6a583a2_b.jpg

On mine I put a drop of Mr Surfacer in the divots and was lightly sanding it when the part pinged out of the tweezers, never to be seen again. I hope the Concrete Critter who lives in my basement hobby room got indigestion from the Mr Surfacer! Lucky for me, member @Procopius had a spare and sent it to me. 

Chris

• Like 3

On 1/6/2020 at 10:35 PM, dogsbody said:

I believe he is referring to this seam and divot.

49341370083_3cc6a583a2_b.jpg

On mine I put a drop of Mr Surfacer in the divots and was lightly sanding it when the part pinged out of the tweezers, never to be seen again. I hope the Concrete Critter who lives in my basement hobby room got indigestion from the Mr Surfacer! Lucky for me, member @Procopius had a spare and sent it to me. 

Chris

That’s the bit. Very nice of @Procopius decent chap. I hear he likes/ may have a few spitfire kits. 🤩

• Like 4