Can I convert a Dornier Do215 into a Do 217n-x in 1/72

Walter

I'd like to build a Do 217N-1 or N-2 in 1/72, however, there are no new tooled kits in existence. So I'm thinking of using a Do215 as a starting point, with ICM being the most recent tool. 

has anyone attempted such a project? 

There a 2 conversions sets for the N-2 which is just the bottom of the fuselage. I haven't sourced any nose cones as yet. The 217n-2 would be a beast to build.

Edit: AimsModels has N-2 kit, hmmm!

Edited by Walter

Do 215 B-5 to Do 217 N-2 conversion (off the top of my head): removing under wing oil coolers, reshaping engine cowlings and engine nacelles, replacing three bladed propellers with four bladed ones, extending tail cone, enlarging vertical surfaces, replacing cockpit transparencies ... If there is a quality ready-made conversion, covering all the above (and probably more), perhaps. Otherwise, it would probably require less effort to update the ancient Italeri Do 217 N kit. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I wonder why that was such a flurry of kits from the 70's and 80's and nothing since. I guess interest from modelers has changed. What a pity,  the versions you could make from one tool would be amazing. 

short answer, in line with the ones above: no. Despite obvious lineage and looking somewhat similar, they are entirely different aircraft. Which is a shame because I would love a new tool 217 in 1/72!

• Thanks 1

Don't think the Italeri Do 217 make such a bad N2 replica toghether with the conversion set. Made it several years ago and has good experience of it...

Cheers / André

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Italeri Do217s have two main flaws, a lack of interiors and a wizened rear fuselage.

They reissued some boxings with new cockpit interiors a few years back, so there's that, at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

They reissued some boxings with new cockpit interiors a few years back, so there's that, at least.

I think only the new variant that they did - the 217M - has the new interior and that probably isn't suitable for the N variants.

Back in the mists of time both Guano and Airwaves did K-2 conversion kits that included a replacement part for the rear fuselage where it is too skinny, just the lower part IIRC. Sadly Airwaves discontinued their set when Italeri released the K-2. I imagine the relevant part from either would fit the N kit.

The Airwaves part was a rework of the Guano (which included Fritz X bomb) but in resin.  It served to wedge the rear fuselage apart at the tail but still required considerable work on the lower rear fuselage and tail.   An Austrian modeller did set out to produce an improved rear end, but unfortunately the project widened to cover an entire rear fuselage and cockpit interior.  A few preproduction examples were produced but even more unfortunately he died, and the project died with him.

15 hours ago, Walter said:

I'd like to build a Do 217N-1 or N-2 in 1/72, however, there are no new tooled kits in existence. So I'm thinking of using a Do215 as a starting point, with ICM being the most recent tool. 

has anyone attempted such a project?

Of course ALMOST everything is possible if you have plenty of time and money. But Do17/215 and Do217 are totally different aircraft.

It is like converting a Hurricane to a Tempest or building a Su-24 using the F-111 kit.

Such ideas are acceptable in 1:700 (years ago I've made some 3 or 4 Bearcats using Fujimi Sea Furies), but not in 1:72.

Better try the other way

Cheers

Michael 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

At last I found my Italeri Dornier Do 217 N2 build...

Started this build fifteen years ago (!) when I got the AIMS resin conversion kit for the Italeri Do 217 N1.

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/AIMS/Dornier_Do217N-2_conversion/AIMS_Dornier_Do217N-2.html

The kit is primed and the wings are not glued to the fuselage yet. Some panellines are rescribed and some not. I also prepared the fuselage for the "Schräge Musich". The interior are rather spartan yet.

spacer.png

Underside of the streamlined fuselage (compared to Do 217 N1) and the gunports.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Further details of fuselage with engine, propeller, canopy, instrumentpanel...

spacer.png

...and "Schräge Musich"...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

On 1/2/2020 at 1:03 PM, Graham Boak said:

An Austrian modeller did set out to produce an improved rear end, but unfortunately the project widened to cover an entire rear fuselage and cockpit interior.  A few preproduction examples were produced but even more unfortunately he died, and the project died with him.

Correction, while true that he passed away, not true that the project died as a result.  The project was canned long before Rolf (who was Swiss, not Austrian) passed.

An extremely limited number of this conversion were made and offered for sale, both online and at the Telford show (sorry, can't recall which year).  The interest shown for this set was minimal.  It was cancelled as a result. 

I do have this set and it is amazing.   Another correction, there was no cockpit interior but it came with engines and new rear fuselage.  It was rather expensive but the engines alone were worth the price paid.  Such a pity that there was such a lack of interest.

Rolf posted his 217 builds on another forum.  He included detailed build information along with some pretty good pictures on how to correct the Italeri kits to make them more accurate.  Well worth reading. 

I would hope that ICM will come out with a 1/72 offering of the 217 one of these days.  

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Like 1

Thanks for the further information and corrections.  I was very interested in this project when it was first discussed as a correction to the tadpole rear of the kit.  However expanding it to a large and expensive set of alterations was certainly going too far for me,  and believed that true for others.  The inevitable high price, given the amount of resin and its origins, would also reduce whatever commercial prospects the set might have had.

I was not aware that it ever appeared at Telford.  I might have been tempted to go for one.  However I have four Italeri Dorniers, with different engines, needing rear fuselage alterations.  Buying four such sets was never going to happen.