Supermarine K5054 Type 300 Prototype

11 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

for someone on the bottom rung of the ladder of this long learning experience

from what I have seen, a good way up the ladder....

I really recommend checking out a local model club, eg 

https://ipmsuk.org/directory/southampton/

Almost certainly a few BM members as well,  and a good way to learn more, as you can see a model and ask.    You could come along to IPMS Mid Sussex  (see my sig) if you want but this is nearer. There maybe more locally.

12 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

I've not heard of the talc/superglue tip before, so will give it a try. Next time Lidl are selling packs of superglue again I'll pick another up.

pound shops have multipack of 3g tubes, 7 or 8 a pack.  That's what I use.   Adding talc was a tip I got here.  you can use it neat as small gap filler, but sand as soon as hard, as when fully harden, it's tougher than the plastic.  Note, in my build, most of the construction was done with SG.  You can also use it to tack, and then use normal liquid glue. 

You can also use acrylic nail powder, this has an accelerant  added so it goes off almost immediately.   I just used SG/talc to sculpt an arm bend on a figure.  If it all works out I'll post up the build.

I really like superglue,  I have actually been doing some modelling recently,  and used it for main construction entirely,  using a little 3g tube like you used you old tube glue...

It's brittle, but so fast,  reminds me of being 9, and just being able to slap a kit together with tube glue... slightly more refined ..and a sod if it goe wrong, so make sure it been test fitted.

the brittle can work, I used it butt joined tail planes, drill holes in fuselage mounting, add tailplane with tiny drops of SG. use a needle in a pin vice (one of my top tools BTW)  drill into tailplanes from inside,  a sharp tap will break off piece,  and you can add metal pins to peice and have it align into the pre drilled holes....

Actually pounds shops have all sorts of useful bits (superglue, lighter fuel, clothes pegs, mini clamps, sanding blocks, wet n dry paper, little screwdrivers,  great for stirring paint and applying filler etc etc)  and even if it's turns out to be junk you are hardly out of pocket....

18 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

II don't have floor polish yet

Apparently Lakeland Quickshine is the new Kleer,  not tried it, and not as cheap. 

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/20286/Quick+Shine+Floor+Finish+800ml

but still 800 ml.... 

Nearest stores to Southampton are Salisbury. Christchurch and Bournemouth. 

There have been thread on this here.

cheers

T

As i was typing, I also not @rob Lyttle is also in Southampton,  and may know more about local clubs? 

2 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Of course, there may not even be an engine under the cowling here but there's nothing actually sticking out of the apertures here. 

Should be very short stubs, just visible here

d8ba28c8ce668fc43a81d065c2ee7e5c.jpg

DXhU4ojUMAUSaNp.jpg

better seen on this Fury, though the shot above shows them shorter and very closely cowled (which I'd not noticed before)

IMG_5424.jpeg

what the look like uncowled

fury_6.jpg&key=4ef4238ba79bc6a4cb70eaa30

while searching

http://k5054.com

k5054_insidecockpit.gif

above] K5054 Prototype Spitfire cockpit showing the original curved windshield that distorted the forward view. It was latter replaced with flat armoured glass.

• Like 3

@Quiet Mike

Romsey Modellers! 

Highly recommended. We meet 1st and 3rd Wed of the month at Ampfield for a good time. 

Although this month got rejigged as Wednesday fell rediculously close to new year. 

Should come up on Google. Most of the news and chat is on the Club's Facebook page. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 5:26 AM, Biggles87 said:

When I see the upper wing surface of the replica, I can’t help thinking of clinker built boats.

John

Hi John 

I see what you mean and after all the wonderful RJ Mitchell did design boats that fly. 

Hi Mike

Crikey it is very hard selling any dubs as after all they are members of the family that live in the garage!!! When I sold my bus, my then 5 yr old son put his arms out at the front of the bus as if to hug her before she drove off. I have changed my Avatar to reflect the current ride.

Great work on the model so far.  I like the cotton bud tube idea and will register that in the old memory bank for future use. 

The superglue and Talc filler Troy mentioned is brilliant as it sands back easily and is also easily scribed when reinstating panel lines etc.  The more talc you use the easier to sculpt and sand, although it also dries quicker too. 

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

On 14/01/2020 at 05:26, Biggles87 said:

When I see the upper wing surface of the replica, I can’t help thinking of clinker built boats.

the prototype is often referred to as having a clinker built wing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mike

Crikey it is very hard selling any dubs as after all they are members of the family that live in the garage!!! When I sold my bus, my then 5 yr old son put his arms out at the front of the bus as if to hug her before she drove off. I have changed my Avatar to reflect the current ride.

Great work on the model so far.  I like the cotton bud tube idea and will register that in the old memory bank for future use. 

The superglue and Talc filler Troy mentioned is brilliant as it sands back easily and is also easily scribed when reinstating panel lines etc.  The more talc you use the easier to sculpt and sand, although it also dries quicker too. 

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Fired the Kombi up in the week Chris for a rare trip out.  Glad I did too, I had to pick up an old shop front sign, and there was no way all this little lot was ever going to fit in the runaround old Polo we've got!

49410767668_f7bc62d21c.jpg

Bill Harvell shop sign by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

the prototype is often referred to as having a clinker built wing.

I'm still undecided how to best show this, in a way that suits 1:48 scale. I think some experimenting in order on a scrap wing.

16 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Fired the Kombi up in the week Chris for a rare trip out.  Glad I did too, I had to pick up an old shop front sign, and there was no way all this little lot was ever going to fit in the runaround old Polo we've got!

49410767668_f7bc62d21c.jpg

Bill Harvell shop sign by Mike, on Flickr

Crikey Mike that definitely wouldn't go in a Polo.  That is one heck of a garage wall trophy !!!

All the best

Chris

8 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

I'm still undecided how to best show this, in a way that suits 1:48 scale. I think some experimenting in order on a scrap wing.

good idea, though I'd just go for scribing in the new lines

27043013747_7c190a1a1c_b.jpg

did the copy of Alfred Price - the Spitfire Story ever materialise?    Just it has plans is all.  I scanned and rescaled them, so could use them as template

My "intention" if i ever get around to this would be to use a Spitfire kit with raised panel lines, as then it's just sand them off and scribe away. (most likely the old Airfix Vb, yes, the bulges need dealing with but once done the detail is easy to remove,  I have done this for another stalled project.... )

A good scriber BTW is a medium sewing needle in a pin vice,  and it helps to use it to mark in the line ends with a little indent first, and then join up the dots.  If using the template paper idea, you can just dot on the line ends by pricking through the paper laid over the wing.... I theorise at least.

The other would be to get some metal vernier calipers, 

eg 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-150MM-STEEL-SLIDING-CALIPER-VERNIER-MEASURING-GAUGE-DEPTH-HEIGHT-TOOL-NEW/292549986063

s-l1600.jpg

if ypu use the proges on the right, they are sharp, well mine are, and they can be used to dot out measurements, and it's a handy tool to have for modelling work in general,  and for £3.50 posted, a bargain.

Digital ones are easier to read, but metal ones are like this are solid, and don't need batteries ...a tool that has multiple uses 

HTH

T

• Like 1

Ha, I knew they would come in useful! I picked up a pair of those calipers for peanuts while French Picking last summer with a pal. That was with my vintage bicycle restorer head on though, as they are invalueble for measuring odd sized seat posts and handlebars. I'm glad they are duel purpose 🙂

48368412047_d51de1c144_z.jpg

Brocante treasures by Mike, on Flickr

Yes, got the Alfred Price book too. Those plans will be very useful. A very good book for the money, it was only a few £££'s.

Talking of planking, I think a few of us have seen Antb's recent Defiant build. I noticed the tail has the planking molded into it? I think this looks great, but the I think trying to replicate this on the long lines of the wing will be too difficult. I'm with you Troy, scribbing probably the best way.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:30 PM, Antb said:

20200104-170856.jpg

• Like 3

No Chris, that sign is still leaning up against the Kombi. I could say I'm waiting for it to dry out, but in all honesty a rubbish week has knocked the stuffing clean out of us. Our faithful old Staffie became ill a couple of weeks ago, and suddenly went downhill really quickly, in just a few days. She lost a nearly a kilo in that couple of weeks, and was struggling to breathe with fluid on her lungs. Short rapid breaths and her poor little heart going 19 to the dozen. We had her put down Thursday and we're all broken hearted. 
Here she is as a pup, she was a great co-pilot!

4642215486_74f10c67fa.jpg

Companions by Mike, on Flickr

I know we're a nation of dog lovers, I'm guessing more than a few on this forum have been in our shoes. This is all part of the deal we sign up for. This one has hit me particularly hard though. We'll get another, a rescue, maybe next year. I'd love another Staffie, but the boss wants something different. We'll see.

Thankful for small mercies, modelling is a good distraction! I've made a little progress and will post some photos up later. Fuselage is together, as are the wings. All in primer, but that keeps revealing my ham-fisted attempts at panel line filling leave a lot to be desired! And I haven't scribed new panel lines yet. I was going to do that once I'd properly covered up the old lines.

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Sad 4

Right, a few shots of my recent therapy sessions. I'll admit they aren't going entirely to plan, but I'm undaunted and will perservere.

Cockpit in place. For the wash I used lighter fuel and oil paint, on top of a gloss varnish. I wasn't happy with it though, next time I'll try a wash using the Pledge floor polish tecnique. I just couldn't control it very well, and it didn't seem to flood into the nooks and crannies like I expected.

49449657166_b76544c71c_z.jpg

K5054 progress by Mike, on Flickr

49449657166_b76544c71c_z.jpg

Then once the fuselage the wing sections were closed up I had a go at filling some fo the panel lines up and blowing over some primer. Lets not be too negative and just say I've had mixed results. More work needed here! I'm hoping a few more coats of primer will hide my heavy handed sanding. Once I get a smooth finish I'll think about scribing the wing planking.

49449656976_bdf2ccc858_z.jpg

49449180713_fe671f8c9f_z.jpg

49449887872_2991fff9fe_z.jpg

49449657771_d01accbb4b_z.jpg

After I'd glued the tailplanes on I had an idea for fixing the elevators in place. What looke deasy in my head, was far from it in practice, and I can't get the elevators to sit right at all, so back to the drawing board with this.

49449888072_2a40e11140_z.jpg

49449656741_5dcddd2ec0_z.jpg

The cockpit installed.

49449888177_baf56e3ddc_z.jpg

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Once I get a smooth finish I'll think about scribing the wing planking.

If you are doing it in its well-known and much-photographed nicely painted air show blue-gray scheme, then think about NOT scribing the wing planking because the whole airframe was filled and sanded before painting. Lots of filler too, because later it started falling off in sheets and became dead scruffy. In this respect the display replica, while it reflects the construction of the original wing, does not reflect its appearance when dolled up for its public debut in that paint. 

You will note there are no visible panel lines of non-opening things in any of the photos of it in that filler and paint job 

80b79492c392fa2a38922592f019d7f3.jpg

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 3

On 1/27/2020 at 2:07 PM, Work In Progress said:

If you are doing it in its well-known and much-photographed nicely painted air show blue-gray scheme, then think about NOT scribing the wing planking because the whole airframe was filled and sanded before painting. Lots of filler too, because later it started falling off in sheets and became dead scruffy. In this respect the display replica, while it reflects the construction of the original wing, does not reflect its appearance when dolled up for its public debut in that paint. 

You will note there are no visible panel lines of non-opening things in any of the photos of it in that filler and paint job 

Yes, that's been playing on my mind WiP. I'd like to do the Cerulean Blue version that did the public air displays later in 1936. I think I'm going to use a little artistic license though and show the top wing panel lines lightly scribed.

49455623272_716e097bc7_z.jpg

K5054 'wing planking' by Mike, on Flickr

Plenty of other issues I'm still unsure how to solve yet as well. The curved windscreen being the main one. Also the different shaped radiator underneath.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2020 at 7:31 PM, Quiet Mike said:

No Chris, that sign is still leaning up against the Kombi. I could say I'm waiting for it to dry out, but in all honesty a rubbish week has knocked the stuffing clean out of us. Our faithful old Staffie became ill a couple of weeks ago, and suddenly went downhill really quickly, in just a few days. She lost a nearly a kilo in that couple of weeks, and was struggling to breathe with fluid on her lungs. Short rapid breaths and her poor little heart going 19 to the dozen. We had her put down Thursday and we're all broken hearted. 
Here she is as a pup, she was a great co-pilot!

4642215486_74f10c67fa.jpg

Companions by Mike, on Flickr

I know we're a nation of dog lovers, I'm guessing more than a few on this forum have been in our shoes. This is all part of the deal we sign up for. This one has hit me particularly hard though. We'll get another, a rescue, maybe next year. I'd love another Staffie, but the boss wants something different. We'll see.

Thankful for small mercies, modelling is a good distraction! I've made a little progress and will post some photos up later. Fuselage is together, as are the wings. All in primer, but that keeps revealing my ham-fisted attempts at panel line filling leave a lot to be desired! And I haven't scribed new panel lines yet. I was going to do that once I'd properly covered up the old lines.

So sorry to hear about your dog, we have a 3 yr old rescue who looks just like her. It’s my first although my parents has several so know how you’re feeling

• Like 1

22 hours ago, woody37 said:

So sorry to hear about your dog, we have a 3 yr old rescue who looks just like her. It’s my first although my parents has several so know how you’re feeling

Good for you getting a rescue Woody. Mabel was through a friend of a friend who'd just had a litter, and she was the runt. She looked like a carbon copy of the brindle Staffie my wife had as a teenager though. They are such loyal companions! Not perfect of course, we never could train her to behave around other dogs, she had a vicious streak, but was a total flirt around any person she met and craved attention. Traits of the breed. I think I'm coping OK, but then it's the mundane things at home that set me off, like cooking without her around my ankles waiting for fallout off the cutting board, not having to kick her off our bed when I leave for work in the morning. And I've never had to make the call of putting an animal down before, and although I know it was the right decision, it still plagues me in the dark hours and is stopping me get a good nights sleep. Each day gets a little easier though, and I'd have another Staffie in a heartbeat.

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Good for you getting a rescue Woody. Mabel was through a friend of a friend who'd just had a litter, and she was the runt. She looked like a carbon copy of the brindle Staffie my wife had as a teenager though. They are such loyal companions! Not perfect of course, we never could train her to behave around other dogs, she had a visious streak, but was a total flirt around any person she met and craved attention. Traits of the breed. I think I'm coping OK, but then it's the mundane things at home that set me off, like cooking without her around my ankles waiting for fallout off the cutting board, not having to kick her off our bed when I leave for work in the morning. And I've never had to make the call of putting an animal down before, and although I know it was the right decision, it still plagues me in the dark hours and is stopping me get a good nights sleep. Each day gets a little easier though, and I'd have another Staffie in a heartbeat.

I know how you mean, my parents had 6 dogs throughout the period I lived with them, the last that past away whilst I was there was a brindle boxer. I was working nights and used to him sniffing at the door when I came in. Not having that set me off. You've done the right thing, you made sure that she didn't suffer more than the needed too and you gave her a great life, that's all any of us can do. You'll hold on to those fond memories mate.

Roscoe who is ours is a loveable nightmare. Obsessed with balls so training classes were a joke and wants to dive all over other dogs to play, not because he's vicious but they turn on him and that's when the fun starts! I did deliberate about getting a dog, for years because of practicalities but once some of them went, it became about the fear of going through what you're going through now. I've come to realise that years of joy that they bring is most certainly worth it, he's my little mate and the only one who appreciates me walking in! Why don't you have a look for another when you're ready? Sounds like you'll be a saviour for another little soul. Here's my matey, a stray from Sheffield

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Roscoe's a handsome lad Neil! And yes, he has got 'lovable nightmare' written all over his face 😀

We won't go long without a dog. Down the rescue centre in the July I think, when Susie breaks up for the summer holidays. I like a few breeds. I dislike many more though, and I've not seen one yet I prefer over Staffies. Happy to be convinced otherwise 😉

Me and her, just over a year ago, walking around Pembrokeshire and in the Black Mountains. Heavily 'frosted' by now, but walked everywhere we did. A stomp up and down Lord Herefords Knob wiped her out and the next day she didn't get out of bed all day 😂

49464711471_37e9cbec24.jpg

Me and Mabel by Mike, on Flickr

Back to the the subect, and I'm happy with how the top of the wings are looking. There is a bump where the top of the undercarriage strut sits though, and I'm not sure if the prototype had this? I assume it did, but it's too small to spot in any photos I have seen to confirm. I've already sanded out the bumps from the wheel wells.

49463656896_8c417dacaf_z.jpg

K5054 wing panel lines by Mike, on Flickr

Edited by Quiet Mike
wrong photo link
  • Like 6

On 1/13/2020 at 10:41 PM, Troy Smith said:

I used it butt joined tail planes, drill holes in fuselage mounting, add tailplane with tiny drops of SG. use a needle in a pin vice (one of my top tools BTW)  drill into tailplanes from inside,  a sharp tap will break off piece,  and you can add metal pins to peice and have it align into the pre drilled holes....

Sorry Troy, I forgot you mentioned this little gem of advice. It obviously sunk in a little way at least, as I used a similar method on those elevators! 😉  Cheers!

Lovely progress in the Spit Mike :)

id love a boxer but they are big and stupid. That’s how I like my dogs if I’m honest but not if half the furniture is upside down when I get home 😂 a Staffie is like a smaller version of a boxer and a little quicker to domesticate I think!

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Lovely progress in the Spit Mike :)

id love a boxer but they are big and stupid. That’s how I like my dogs if I’m honest but not if half the furniture is upside down when I get home 😂 a Staffie is like a smaller version of a boxer and a little quicker to domesticate I think!

Boxers are lovely, but not on my list 😉  They remind me of baby giraffes, not in control of the legs quite properly 😂

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Boxers are lovely, but not on my list 😉  They remind me of baby giraffes, not in control of the legs quite properly 😂

Somewhat lacking in self discipline too, one of my dads ate a cactus because it was there, never even affected him either!

then there’s the scented wind they generate 😂😂

• Haha 1