Supermarine K5054 Type 300 Prototype

• We’ve had Golden Retrievers for 40 years, currently on No’s six, seven and eight ( two of which are rescues ), and they are all wonderful, with very different characters. You get unconditional love from dogs which is why it is so dreadful when you lose one, the anguish and sorrow comes in waves, but trust me, it does eventually get better.

John

• Like 1

This weeks progress seems to be mainly a repeat of the process of adding filler, and then sanding it all off again.

Progress is slowly being made though. The under wing radiator has had an extension made from an old plastic membership card.

49480545002_b149b497a5_z.jpg

K5054 conversion progress by Mike, on Flickr

49479846043_f42e9a6168_z.jpg

And the wings are on now, with a little work required. I'm not sure the carburetor scoop is correct for K5054 in it's summer '36 air display guise.

49480545157_55b5b57571_z.jpg

49480545817_14f5a819b1_z.jpg

My next issue is tackling the windscreen. I'm not sure how to go about this. Do I try and fabricate one from scratch? Or do I just use the kit supplied flat windscreen version that K5054 adopted in Dec 1936 I think. I'd love to try and replicate the distinctive curved windscreen if at all possible ... But I've never done this before and no idea where to start!

On 1/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, Biggles87 said:
  • We’ve had Golden Retrievers for 40 years, currently on No’s six, seven and eight ( two of which are rescues ), and they are all wonderful, with very different characters. You get unconditional love from dogs which is why it is so dreadful when you lose one, the anguish and sorrow comes in waves, but trust me, it does eventually get better.

John

Thanks John, this week is definitely better than last week! I can look at old photos and smile, where as last week I'd just well up ... But still struggling when I cook, and not saving treats like carrot tops for her. On autopilot I saved a little gravy to pour on her dry biscuits today, that got me. You're dead right about the waves of sorrow. And they hit you at unexpected times, as it's usually the everyday and routine activities that are triggers. My wife can't eat toast at the moment as Mabel would always have a crust off her ... (You can tell she was spoiled in her old age!)

Edited by Quiet Mike
picture edit
  • Like 6

Slightly out of order, but fitting the wing to the fuselage. Some issues with a step in the wing fillet area, that I'm not sure I've entirely fixed with filler.

49488721417_dd7141091a_z.jpg

K5054 conversion from Airfix MkI by Mike, on Flickr

49488721177_f5f3077666_z.jpg

And a couple of in progress shots of the extended radiator, which worked way better than I hoped, as I was winging it.

49488721297_8306c28190_z.jpg

49488513341_89f2ed1c2a_z.jpg

• Like 4

Canopies!!!

This 2007 kit comes with 3 windscreens - the first production with the squared flat front windscreen. The second with the round topped tombstone shaped windscreen, and lastly the thickened armoured glass version we are probably most familiar with.

And two canopies. The earliest flat sided and topped one as used on the prototype, and the Battle of Britain blown version.

(And for reasons that are lost on me, there is also a fourth canopy and windscreen, for the final marks with teardrop canopies. I've discounted this for obvious reasons)

49492181942_e350f5feae.jpg

Airfix kit canopy options with the 2007 MkI Spitfire by Mike, on Flickr

49491470528_0f02ce754a.jpg

The first style windscreen -

49491470178_0d2efce31c.jpg

49491972106_cbbe71fd14.jpg

The second style, with the tombstone shaped front panel -

49491972281_305d77e767.jpg

49492181742_9acc211c23.jpg

And the armoured windscreen as used from 1940.

49491470608_dbea7c467f.jpg

49491971856_6a5181cba0.jpg

49491470343_79a63a9fa9.jpg

Now I'm not sure if this has been done before, but my idea is to sand and polish the armoured windscreen to replicate the curved single piece prototype. I've not attempted anything like this before, not even restoring a scratched or glued canopy, so this idea will most likely crash and burn. I have multiple windscreens though, and if this fails I can always go back and use the early windscreen canopy that was introduced at the very end of 1936.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. What tools do I need?

• Like 3

Hi Mike,

I had a stab at K5054 a few years back starting from the Tamiya kit and as I recall I took the windscreen, sanded and polished it to shape but then used that as the former(? is that the right word?) to plunge mould a replacement. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 4:14 PM, Unkempt said:

Hi Mike,

I had a stab at K5054 a few years back starting from the Tamiya kit and as I recall I took the windscreen, sanded and polished it to shape but then used that as the former(? is that the right word?) to plunge mould a replacement. 

Plunge mold is a new one on me! What's that??

With help from a couple of manicure buffing sticks this canopy modification didn't go disastrously wrong, and I was pleasantly surprised at the results. It's not perfect, but it's OK. I haven't managed to get it as shiny as it was, and I'm not sure the best way to do that. I have invested in a bottle of Pledge floor polish though, so may see what all the fuss is about with giving canopies a coat of it.

49498849876_c095507c98.jpg

Converting the MkI windscreen for the Type 300 Prototype by Mike, on Flickr

49499076822_448959b875.jpg

Converting the MkI windscreen for the Type 300 Prototype by Mike, on Flickr

Close, but no cigar ... It's not that bad though! How do I get that old shine back though?

49498849661_13a4556b6c.jpg

The windscreen after scraping the armoured screen off, and sanding and buffing by Mike, on Flickr

49499077027_4a88e38a3f.jpg

The windscreen after scraping the armoured screen off, and sanding and buffing by Mike, on Flickr

And then, because I was in a sanding and reshaping sort of mood, the nose was annoying me. I know Troy pointed out that the thrust line was too high. I can live with that, but the shape of the cowling over the exhausts was just a little too much pumped up. I was going over old photos again of K5054 and the lines are a lot cleaner. The prototype just looks leaner.

49499077657_f4b4d14df7.jpg

Some minor adjustments to the shape of the nose by Mike, on Flickr

49499077367_f20186952f.jpg

49498850806_5d0aa37f6a.jpg

49498850456_77a6a29124.jpg

Like a lot of these subtle differences I'm not sure I've captured it in the photos at all, but lit looks better in the flesh.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Plunge mold is a new one on me! What's that??

plunge or smash mould.  If you search it up you will find tutorials

Make former,  add handle, get sheet of 1/4 balsa , cut out hole corresponding to former but slightly bigger, too allw for plastic sheet thickness,  attach clear plastic sheet to balsa, drawing pics or bulldog clips, heat sheet till pliable over cooker, under grill or paint stirpper gun, plunge former into now soft sheet.

Let cool, trim off excess

former and canopy

48910674257_9563cdc86d_o.jpg40600208-1 by losethekibble, on Flickr

the frame lines are aluminium tape added after.  Not difficult, and clear plastic can be scrounged, I think the above was food packaging, sorth of thing pastries come in.

10 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

I know Troy pointed out that the thrust line was too high. I can live with that, but the shape of the cowling over the exhausts was just a little too much pumped up.

apart from making the nose ring smaller and top flatter too match,  that's pretty much what is needed. 

Well, I have popped my 'dipping a canopy in floor polish' cherry. I was pleasantly surprised, it looks much better. I'm not sure if some of this is down to the pleasant smell the polish gives off. I only dipped the windscreen, the other clear parts were already shiny enough. The windscreen now matches them.

I used an old clear humous dip tub I'd washed out, with some tissue lining the bottom. I'm saving all sorts of odd tubs and pots since I started kit building again! And although I haven't had much luck making my own canopies yet, I squirrel suitable bits of clear plastic away.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, Troy Smith said:

Also, Falcon do an early screen in their Spitfire Special set

http://falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set51.html

51-1.gif

It does bug me a little that even though I've got the kit screen looking halfway decent, the bottom of the frame is a lot chunkier than the the prototype with it's delicate edges. I'm going to go with it for this build and hope it doesn't stand out too much!

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 1

That windscreen looks pretty good to me. It wouldn’t be too difficult a mold job.  If you search the forums there are some good tutorials on plunge molding. 

Basically you need to make a form or buck  from wood or clay ( I favour basswood these days or sculpey which models like plasticene but once baked can be carved, milliput is good too) that is undersized by the thickness of your moulding media (clear petg is best I think for that) then make a balsa wood frame, use drawing pins or bulldog clips to attach some plastic and grill it till the plastic sags then plunge the buck into the sheet. Takes a bit of getting used to but not rocket science.

A molded screen would be nice and thin.

Hi Mike, hope you are okay, I am sorry to hear about your beloved staffie.  You sound like you have some lovely memories of her to cherish. 

The Spitfire looks fantastic so far. Great work fella.  I have the Falcon Spitfire Special canopy set and I have just had a look through to see if I still had the prototype canopy and I don't unfortunately as you would be more than welcome to it.  It does have a prototype windscreen in , the one with the Dimmer screen added though, although it is designed to fit the Tamiya MK1 so not sure if it's possible to fit to the Airfix kit, @Troy Smith may know.  Looking through the instructions even the Tamiya kit has to have a modification to allow the screen to fit. 

If it is of use to you, you're more than welcome to it.  

Keep up the good work .

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

although it is designed to fit the Tamiya MK1 so not sure if it's possible to fit to the Airfix kit, @Troy Smith may know.  Looking through the instructions even the Tamiya kit has to have a modification to allow the screen to fit. 

The Tamiya Spitfire is slightly wider than the Airfix kit,  but i think  the canopies are very similar.... I'm not quite sure where the Spitfire project box is though, or wher the Falcon canopy special is either...(I really need to do some sorting)   given the need to cut away away a little, I think  is could be made to fit. not a problem for an open canopy, but may not line up with the Airfix centre section.

If I can find them easily, I have try to compare.

• Like 2

spacer.png

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mike, hope you are okay, I am sorry to hear about your beloved staffie.  You sound like you have some lovely memories of her to cherish. 

The Spitfire looks fantastic so far. Great work fella.  I have the Falcon Spitfire Special canopy set and I have just had a look through to see if I still had the prototype canopy and I don't unfortunately as you would be more than welcome to it.  It does have a prototype windscreen in , the one with the Dimmer screen added though, although it is designed to fit the Tamiya MK1 so not sure if it's possible to fit to the Airfix kit, @Troy Smith may know.  Looking through the instructions even the Tamiya kit has to have a modification to allow the screen to fit. 

If it is of use to you, you're more than welcome to it.  

Keep up the good work .

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris. We are coping OK, but after 13 years they do leave a big hole that's hard to fill. Like a lot of friends have said, the first couple of weeks are difficult, but it's getting easier. We'll get another for sure. The Other Half is already on several Staffie Rescue sites 🙂

Thanks for the offer of the canopy. I think I'll pass, as I'm going to try and make my modified kit part work. I'm going with a closed canopy, and everything does fit. My only issue is the chunky look of the bottom of the windscreen. When I pick the build up again I'll post on here with progress. I've parked it at the moment for a breather. I still need to get some paints for it too. I've just picked up a Jet Provost from Lidl and looking forward to a quick build and a change of scene for a little bit! It's the all over red version, which wouldn't be my first choise of scheme but for £3.50 I won't complain. More than a little inspired by Guy's lovely build here -

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 3

Always sad to loose a friend (pet) we lost our cat (my avatar Pip) and one of our dogs last year and tbh our remaining dog isn't too long for this world.it can be quite a shock when they're suddenly not there.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

spacer.png

Cheers Chris. We are coping OK, but after 13 years they do leave a big hole that's hard to fill. Like a lot of friends have said, the first couple of weeks are difficult, but it's getting easier. We'll get another for sure. The Other Half is already on several Staffie Rescue sites 🙂

Thanks for the offer of the canopy. I think I'll pass, as I'm going to try and make my modified kit part work. I'm going with a closed canopy, and everything does fit. My only issue is the chunky look of the bottom of the windscreen. When I pick the build up again I'll post on here with progress. I've parked it at the moment for a breather. I still need to get some paints for it too. I've just picked up a Jet Provost from Lidl and looking forward to a quick build and a change of scene for a little bit! It's the all over red version, which wouldn't be my first choise of scheme but for £3.50 I won't complain. More than a little inspired by Guy's lovely build here -

Hi Mike, 

No worries fella, it is here if you need it.  I won't be using it as I have a 32nd scale kit to do.  

The Jet Provost is a cracking kit and very enjoyable to build. I have done one in the Red, White and Grey scheme which I am very pleased with.  

Give me a shout if you need the windscreen.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for this Roadrunner, you've made my job of colour mixing much easier!

K-5054-801%20ROADRUNNER%20blanc_zpsd0y1t
the one at left , may be......

I mixed mainly XF-23 Light Blue with XF-21 Sky, and added a little Flat White and a few drops of Royal Blue. I'm very happy with the colour on my test, just disappointed with the gloss varnish (Galeria) I put on.

49542461063_1a4e460bb8_z.jpg

K5054 prototype colour mix by Mike, on Flickr

49542460678_ffa0eea311_z.jpg

K5054 prototype colour mix by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 3

A frustrating day where the airbrush gods were definitely not smiling upon me. I spent most of the day with my old areograph Super63 spread out in bits on the bench. Everytime I attempted to spray the paint point blank refused to flow. I've no idea why and lost count of the times I stipped the whole thing down. Something must be clogged up somewhere but I'm not sure what else I can do to find it!

I've had problems with it before, but it's been great spraying Ultimate Primer recently. I thin it down a little with Ultimate thinners. I may have pushed my luck and angered the Airbrush Gods by trying to put an Airfix starter kit pot through it for the red Jet Provost ... 😳  But it was heavily thinned and and had flow improver added. It just wouldn't play ball at all.

Edited by Quiet Mike

Paint on ... I'm not happy with the result though, there is loads of paint splatter! First time using Tamiya paints, and I need to get used to them I think. Surprised just how flat the finish is. I have thinned the mix roughly 50% with thinners. Looks pretty rough, especially compared to the primer coat, which looks far smoother? As stated earlier, I'm really struggling with the Super63 at the moment, but because of my inexperience I'm guessing it's more down to me, rather than an old airbrish.

This is the the second attempt as well 🙄

In better news, I have rigged up a spray extractor next to my bench now. I am in a very cramped corner and don't have much room at all. I wear a good particle mask, but I'm not happy spraying indoors and the fumes lingering around. It's a homemade job using a massive old spraybooth work chucked out. I stripped out all the inards and rebuilt them into a much smaller plastic crate.

49562279553_9cf5fba258.jpg

Splattering paint on by Mike, on Flickr

49563007027_f2264a0b6b.jpg

49562278923_917b0b6472.jpg

49563006477_525fc6af8a.jpg

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 4

A few daylight shots of the second coat of paint, that do my painting skills no favours! Starting to lose heart as I'm not sure how to fix this. I will mix yet another batch of paint and try a third coat but I'm expecting the same poor results. I'd love to know where I'm going wrong!

The primer is very forgiving and goes on perfectly for me. Why am I getting in such a two and eight with the this?

49570273166_39d2418879.jpg

Paint doesnt look any better under natural light! by Mike, on Flickr

49570273356_4d853ea1bb.jpg

49570273636_96b505310b.jpg

49570501857_67c682b8db.jpg

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Quiet Mike said:

A few daylight shots of the second coat of paint, that do my painting skills no favours! Starting to lose heart as I'm not sure how to fix this. I will mix yet another batch of paint and try a third coat but I'm expecting the same poor results. I'd love to know where I'm going wrong!

The primer is very forgiving and goes on perfectly for me. Why am I getting in such a two and eight with the this?

Maybe needs a thread in the paint section.

You are using tamiya acrylic, what thinner?   Also, some info on the airflow pressure might help, airbrush type, needle size and if close up or at a distance. 

I can't help, but there are plenty of airbrush users here who might know more. 

Finally, has the airbrush sprayed anything OK since you tried the Humbrol acrylic through it?  Will it still spray the primer you used OK? 

Finally, Screwfix No Nonsense paint stripper works well if you need to start again...

HTH

• Like 1

Well, third time lucky with the paint. I cranked the pressure up a bit more and got a better finish. I'm still not happy with how the airbrush is performing, and figure my inexperience, and an old airbrush, are both contributing factors, but I'm still much preferring it over hairy sticks to will persevere!

It's now almost ready for a coat of gloss, I'm not sure yet if to use the Galeria Gloss Varnish, or try the floor polish ... Before that though I need to paint the propeller, and that has me a little stumped, as K5054 goes through a few different options. For the 1936 'First Paint' option I'm going for, I think the blades are either aluminium, or painted aluminium, or maybe even painted the same blue as the aeroplane? And with the leading edges a darker re-enforced metal like copper or bronze?

I think I am going to paint the blades silver, with a darker re-enforcing edge.

49588561286_1aacca53c7_w.jpg

K5054 reference by Mike, on Flickr

Dark bands at the base, natural wood finish?

49588558181_1f416be5ea_w.jpg

49588806052_360a662f76_w.jpg

The prototype still in its 'raw' unpainted state, propeller looks metal, like the Schneider racers, with a re-enforced leading edge. The hub looks black, with a polished spinner.

49588804917_8f48e91b0a_w.jpg

49588554086_49393b828b_w.jpg

And it's clearer on the prototype Hurricane.

15650663777_4f0a3b46c9_w.jpg

15_002589 Hawker Hurricane prototype K5083 by SDASM Archives, on Flickr

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 1

Here's that third coat of paint. I need to get a coat of varnish on it before I get too many greasy finger marks all over it.

I wish I'd engineered a way of putting the fuselage together without putting the prop on.

49591746087_7040e4481e.jpg

Better paint this time by Mike, on Flickr

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 5

Crikey Mike you're having a bit of a fight with the paint there, looking very nice indeed in the last picture.  I have no advice to offer I am afraid as I use the hairy stick and have never airbrushed myself.   

Great work so far fella. Hope you are okay.

All the best

Chris