Eduard 1/48 Tempest Series 2

Hey All,

This is my third aircraft since getting back into the hobby, though I've done many tanks.  I've been, frankly, afraid of planes, as the care needed to address seams and re-scribing when sanding off details has been beyond my capabilities.  I think it still is, but I'm trying to learn.  I'm far more of an 'assembler' than a 'modeler', but I'm trying.  I really like the Eduard planes, and this is the third of three thus far (the Spitfire VIII, and FW-190A-4 were the first two).  Feel free to comment and bash as appropriate...I won't get better without critique.  By the way, I already know for at least half a dozen significant errors/mistakes/poor execution on this one, but I'd appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks, and Happy New Year!

VL9bjN1.jpg

JzKN8Pk.jpg

R8BlI6D.jpg

MCs5W87.jpg

TiufYRc.jpg

sC8NUvf.jpg

0M6Zny3.jpg

Edited by Curt B
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, colin said:

Very nice, the Tempest always looks so brutish but beautiful at the same time

Thanks.  I agree, beautiful and brutish/heavy duty looking at once.

Edited by Curt B

Not really anything to bash, you look to be a competent modeler with a pretty good skill set. Only thing I’d say could be improved is working on modulating the color to look a little more realistic and random. It’s a skill I’m currently working on myself! There are many techniques to try.

Anyway, great looking build of a wild aircraft. Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, RadMax8 said:

Not really anything to bash, you look to be a competent modeler with a pretty good skill set. Only thing I’d say could be improved is working on modulating the color to look a little more realistic and random. It’s a skill I’m currently working on myself! There are many techniques to try.

Anyway, great looking build of a wild aircraft. Thanks for sharing!

Modulating colour on a lot of models I've seen doesn't not look realistic. If done for most types it needs to be subtle but a lot of people seem to way over do it - often real aircraft finishes are relatively plain unless they are a heavily weathered finish, but even then they are not as patchy as people portray on their models. Just keep it subtle.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who replied, and thank you for the compliments paid, truly!

Let me answer some of the points made so far.  I did indeed add some brown stains at the gun exhausts.  I retrospect, I should have just left them alone (no stains).  I know that very few planes had such staining, even those that fired their guns often during the war, and this particular livery was for an aircraft that was post-WWII, thus, the plane's guns were probably never fired in anger.,   subsequent to the paint job  Hence, the area should be pristine.  Stupid thing to have done.

Regarding the point about modulating color...  I actually did try to do this, and perhaps the photos don't show what I did, although I admit the effects are really subtle.  Since this is only my third plane, I am just beginning to work on some techniques.  I began with a grey primer, overall.  Then, though the technique is fast becoming archaic, I did some preshading of the panel lines with black.  Then, I highlighted the interior of most of the panels with white.  So I had the widest range possible, from black to white, under the color coats.  Then I painted the colors using MRP paint, which is about as thin a layer as you can get.  I tried hard to let much of the white/grey/black preshading come through, but I didn't want it to look overly 'present'.  The effect is there, but I can see the photos don't present it well.  I do have a number of other techniques that I plan to employ going forward on other builds.

I have at least two more Tempests to go... and the general color scheme will be similar, Ocean Grey/Dark Green, so I will experiment!  I plan next to do a Series 1 with the photo etch dropped flaps and full invasion stripes (wings and fuselage), and then another Series 2, with a different paint scheme...not sure which one yet, but probably far more weathered and dirty than this one.  I REALLY like this plane!

I truly appreciate the comments.  In fact, I need them, to improve. more quickly than otherwise.  I can certainly critique myself, and I always do, but external views are always valuable.

Working now on the Tamiya P-38F/G...it's going to be 'Miss Virginia', and I'm going to be trying some new techniques with that one!

1 hour ago, Curt B said:

Thank you to everyone who replied, and thank you for the compliments paid, truly!

Let me answer some of the points made so far.  I did indeed add some brown stains at the gun exhausts.  I retrospect, I should have just left them alone (no stains).  I know that very few planes had such staining, even those that fired their guns often during the war, and this particular livery was for an aircraft that was post-WWII, thus, the plane's guns were probably never fired in anger.,   subsequent to the paint job  Hence, the area should be pristine.  Stupid thing to have done.

I

The point was more that it was brown, I thought the stains should be black or a very dark grey.

41 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

The point was more that it was brown, I thought the stains should be black or a very dark grey.

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the point...good future reference!

11 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Modulating colour on a lot of models I've seen doesn't not look realistic. If done for most types it needs to be subtle but a lot of people seem to way over do it - often real aircraft finishes are relatively plain unless they are a heavily weathered finish, but even then they are not as patchy as people portray on their models. Just keep it subtle.

Tbolt, you aren't wrong! I think it's tough to translate from a 1:1 scale, where the "canvas" is so large, to something in 1:48, where the plane can fit in your hand! I also think there's a couple paths to go down: One of replicating the plane in perfect scale detail, or taking some artistic license. Of course, this isn't a black and white situation, there are an infinite number of gray areas where model builders can live 😁

8 hours ago, Curt B said:

Regarding the point about modulating color...  I actually did try to do this, and perhaps the photos don't show what I did, although I admit the effects are really subtle.  Since this is only my third plane, I am just beginning to work on some techniques.  I began with a grey primer, overall.  Then, though the technique is fast becoming archaic, I did some preshading of the panel lines with black.  Then, I highlighted the interior of most of the panels with white.  So I had the widest range possible, from black to white, under the color coats.  Then I painted the colors using MRP paint, which is about as thin a layer as you can get.  I tried hard to let much of the white/grey/black preshading come through, but I didn't want it to look overly 'present'.  The effect is there, but I can see the photos don't present it well.  I do have a number of other techniques that I plan to employ going forward on other builds.

Ah, that makes sense, details lost in the photos. Another area where I need some improvement in my skills haha. 

To be honest, I think you did a fine job, and would be happy if something like this came off my workbench! Looking forward to seeing your next installment. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Looking good. Maybe a fraction to much chipping for a post war plane. But that is being picky. The modulation of the paint work

Looks good to me. 

Good point!  I'm in the mindset of warplanes, and I really did overdo the wear (just like the gun exhaust).  Things to consider, things to learn.  Thanks for the comment!