Academy 1/72 P-51B - Fred Glover's 'Rebel Queen' - Finished!!!

Johnson

The weekend's here so can make better progress.

@vppelt68 suggested the Eduard masking set for masking the Academy's P-51B canopy. I've never tried Eduard masking sets before having been put off canopy masks when I tried them for an F-4 Phantom a few years back, made out of some sort of plastic - it didn't fit very well nor stick. But Eduard's are made of paper like the Tamiya masking tape and were very easy to use and fitted perfectly.

Dscf1874

Under the airbrushed-on olive drab is a coat of interior green. I've still to apply the final matt coat which I will do when I do the kit.

And then there was the wheels for Old Crow which needed white wall tires. I considered painting using the 'dremel' or drill technique, but in the end decided to mask them. The canopy set included masks for the centre of the wheels and they fitted the Hasegawa's wheels fine. I had to cut out masks for the outside using my adjustable draughtman's compass and although difficult to apply and get them centred on the wheels correctly, it worked OK.

Dscf1876

Now almost everything's done. Just need a final coat of matt clear acrylic varnish and add the various bits and bobs. The 108 gallon paper tanks for Old Crow have red bands. I did see Michael's @Toryu post about them being grey, but looking at the pics of Old Crow (post #60 on page 3), I'm plumping for red as I'm guessing that the support belts hadn't been fitted when the pics were taken. I haven't found any pics of Rebel Queen with tanks, but I think I'll use the 45 gallon ones in aluminium, unless they should be NG for a P-51B that early with the 8th AF? The landing light covers are still to be added. They are so tiny that they are a nightmare. I was 'adjusting' the fit of the Hasegawa's, the smaller one, and holding it with tweezers and inevitably PING!!! off it went! :huh:. After 10 minutes in the modeller's grovelling position, the carpet monster yielded it up.

Dscf1880

There's a bit of weathering on Rebel queen, but it doesn't really show in these pics, some scuffing around the ammo hatches and on the wing root. I will add a bit more staining after the matt coat has been applied.

And the eagle-eyed among you may have spotted that Rebel Queen has the wrong exhausts! I just noticed :o! They should be unshrouded. Fortunately the Academy kit has them as well, but they'll need painting.

Cheers,

Edited by Johnson
More info
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Thanks Chris,

some NG ones in there and I notice a longitudinal red band on the top (which I don't have).

Just doing my bit to help out, seeing as I suck at actually building a kit.

Chris

40 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I notice a longitudinal red band on the top (which I don't have)

No need to worry. The upper red band denoted the section that touched the pylon, i.e. not visible after fixation.

The grey tanks in the picture are not 108 gal paper tanks but 110 gal metal tanks from the US.

• Thanks 1

OK, I think they are done.

Dscf1919

Dscf1913

Dscf1885

Dscf1915

First time I've tried adding weathering to this extent (Tamiya Weathering Master). My modelling tends to be a bit old fashioned and cautious. I'm happy with the result, maybe a bit OTT on the undersides, but generally OK. I really enjoyed the build (I can say that now they're done! :crosseyed:) and they were both very good kits, though the Academy (Rebel Queen) scores more points. I will put pics in the gallery later.

But a question for Patrice @TEMPESTMK5: At the outset of this thread I said I wouldn't be putting Old Crow in the gallery as the kit was already started. But having built her, I think I've put over 75% in terms of time and effort so I would like to add Old Crow to the gallery if you say it's OK. But I'll leave it to your decision and won't be distraught if you say no!

• Like 10

• Johnson changed the title to Academy 1/72 P-51B - Fred Glover's 'Rebel Queen' - Finished!!!

They both look great Charlie. Excellent paint work! I understand your hesitation with the weathering. Being 'old-fashioned' myself, I struggled for the better part of 10 years if I should deliberately destroy my nice paintwork with smear. I have come around in the meantime but very selectively. Yours is definitely not overdone.

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

Pics of Rebel Queen now in The Gallery, with a guest appearance by Old Crow (by kind permission of the hosts).

Many thanks for all your encouragement and support, and to hosts Patrice and Bob.

Cheers,

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, srkirad said:

opened canopy looks really more interesting than if it was closed.

Thanks S.

All credit to Academy. The canopy parts were probably the best I've ever worked with at 1/72. Old style canopy either open or closed, and a Malcolm hood included as well. Front windscreen was a tight fit. It was OK before I painted it but that very thin layer of paint made a difference.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Since you already had it in Paint Shop Pro, why did you have to use MS Word?

Hi Gene,

I use Word as I have immediate and visual control over the print output size. I set the page size on my laptop screen to exactly the same size as an A4 sheet of paper (that's what Mr Decal paper size is). In my case on my laptop its 104% (displayed in the bottom left hand corner in Word). Having done that I can click on the image and use the mouse to drag the corner and alter its size, it automatically locks the x and y axis ratio so keeps the image/object - the girl in the swimsuit in this case - correctly proportioned and get it to the right size.

That's not to say it can't be done it PSP, it possibly can. I haven't tried and I'd need to play with the print o/p in PSP - it might even be easier for all I know!

Cheers,

19 hours ago, Johnson said:

... I'd need to play with the print o/p in PSP - it might even be easier for all I know!

Yes, it's easier in PSP, but obviously Word works for you. 

I enjoyed your builds -- thanks.

Gene K

• Like 1