Granville Brothers Aircraft Co. - GeeBee Sportster - Early Version 1/48 scale

After picking up some spare engines from the Dora Wings stand at IMPS 2019, I spotted this little beauty. I've always loved the lines and the dumpiness of the GeeBee's air frame. So as a birthday treat to myself, I purchased it.

The full build log can be found here if you would like to look? GeeBee Build Log

A great little kit, with some fitment issues. The photo etch parts, and especially the wing strengthening struts were particularly tricky and bent far too easily, Hopefully I managed to make them look at least half decent?

Anyways....on with the pics....'cause I know that's why your here ;)

49311375141_fc70eea443_z.jpg

49311375246_cec4cb52c4_z.jpg

49311578197_0e5f8e2e49_z.jpg

Just a little bit of weathering from the engine exhausts and cowling cover. Unfortunately the panel pin wash didnt quite work as well as I wanted it to. Will need to keep practicing that method.

49311579452_36af8019d5_z.jpg

49311579352_7e11e001a3_z.jpg

49310876868_556a7956ca_z.jpg

49311377861_e649e8b332_z.jpg

49310878038_945c14d0ba_z.jpg

49310878028_427e5e9f85_z.jpg

49311379631_714164db80_z.jpg

So, there we go!

Hope you enjoyed the pics and the build log for the GeeBee?

Any comments and tips for improvements I could make, please let me know.

And with that, I shall leave you with this gem.....Buffy the baffoon of a kitten.....

49311582337_bdd8f99c30_z.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Cheers @Moa it's a great little air craft that build.

Well worth a go if you can? 

Thanks, but in 1/48th... A man has his ethical standards to preserve 😉

I have built two in 1/72, but not of this shy tail version. May be if I get the 1/72 Amodel kit of it for peanuts I will build one. It's so attractive!

• Like 1

Looks like you finished her up admirably. I got caught up on the build log a few days ago, and I’m glad to see you make it to the RFI section!

Regarding the struts, I wonder if heating and rapidly quenching the PE parts would have helped strengthen the brass...

Top job, thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Moa said:

Thanks, but in 1/48th... A man has his ethical standards to preserve 😉

I have built two in 1/72, but not of this shy tail version. May be if I get the 1/72 A model kit of it for peanuts I will build one. It's so attractive!

Ethical standards?? oh do share?

In 1/72 scale it would be tiny though, but if you prefer things on the smaller scale, Dora do make a 1/144 scale version too. no longer than 1 inch at best.

3 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Looks like you finished her up admirably. I got caught up on the build log a few days ago, and I’m glad to see you make it to the RFI section!

Regarding the struts, I wonder if heating and rapidly quenching the PE parts would have helped strengthen the brass...

Top job, thanks for sharing!

Cheers @RadMax8 Glad you enjoyed the build log too :) I was determined to get it done for the new year too. I'll remember the tipe for to PE parts next time along. At the moment I'll leave them in place as, although they are a little flimsy, they look the part.

25 minutes ago, Robert_ said:

Pretty cool, great to see something a little different (from the guy who only does popular ww2 stuff haha). Well done, looks great. 

Cheers!

It definitely was a different type of build rather than a military air craft.

Next step is what to decide to build next?

- Carry on with the Beverley build?

- Fine Mould's Savoia S.21F - aka Porco Rosso's air craft

- Airfix's Gloster Meteor

- Italeri's Phantom F4M - FG.1

- Spitfire Mk Vb - "The Staffordian"

- AMT's F104 Starfighter from the Star Trek episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday"

All in the finest 1/48 scale (except the Phantom) :)

haha! Cheers @gingerbob

Best thing was that Buffy's sister...Willow (can you see the connection yet?) just looked at her in there and if cat's could face palm....she just did....

As for the next build, I'm not entirely sure...the Savoia is very tempting at the moment....mainly because Porco Rosso is one of my fave movies from Studio Ghibli. The Starfighter is also very tempting too as it would interesting to use some of the real metal type paints for the fuselage.